Stuck Diff Cover on Dana 30

Go ahead and use a propane torch on the perimeter, they must have used red Loctite or something similar to install it, It'll take about 200 to 250 degrees to break it loose and that's not hot enough to set the gear oil on fire.

LMK if you need a new cover. Stripping some axles and I will have an extra cover sitting here for the cost of shipping ;)

Good luck with your removal!

Last edited:
LMK if you need a new cover. Stripping some axles and I will have an extra cover sitting here for the cost of shipping ;)

Good luck with your removal!

Thank you so much for the offer but mrblaine was right on. After a good night's rest, a hearty breakfast, a handful of ibuprofen and following mrblaine's instructions — I tried to knock the diff cover into the passenger seat and on about blow number 25....success.

Now to get the loaded diff out of the housing which is proving to be yet another challenge!!!

Reactions: liquidfluidity
Now to get the loaded diff out of the housing which is proving to be yet another challenge!!!
Put a box end wrench on one of the ring gear bolts, turn the pinion with a pipe wrench or by sticking a prybar through the yoke, let the wrench hit the edge of the diff opening, that will crank the carrier right out.

Thank you so much for the offer but mrblaine was right on. After a good night's rest, a hearty breakfast, a handful of ibuprofen and following mrblaine's instructions — I tried to knock the diff cover into the passenger seat and on about blow number 25....success.

Good to hear!

Put a box end wrench on one of the ring gear bolts, turn the pinion with a pipe wrench or by sticking a prybar through the yoke, let the wrench hit the edge of the diff opening, that will crank the carrier right out.

x2. It will walk right out. Be ready to catch it though.

My bet would be Mopar Gear Oil specific RTV.

I had 4:10s installed about a year and a half ago and the installer guaranteed I would not have any leaks from the diffs. He was a former Mopar mechanic that opened up his own shop specializing in Jeeps. He did a mighty fine job of installing that diff cover, mighty fine!