Stuck lower control arm bolt

cliffish

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
I am trying to replace original control arms with crown replacements. starting with the lower front. PS lower the upper bolt removed fine but the lower bolt on the axle will not budge, I have the nut and washer off but can not get the bolt removed. I have kroiled it, pounded it until it is now ruined, drilled holes through the bushing and applied heat. Am I missing anything?

The bolts have a tendency to seized with the bushing itself. It is likely you'll have to cut the bolt and pound it out that way. Replace the bolt and nut with grade 8.

I am trying to replace original control arms with crown replacements. starting with the lower front. PS lower the upper bolt removed fine but the lower bolt on the axle will not budge, I have the nut and washer off but can not get the bolt removed. I have kroiled it, pounded it until it is now ruined, drilled holes through the bushing and applied heat. Am I missing anything?
You'll have to pry one side over to get a cut off disc on a grinder in there so you don't remove material from the inside face of the mount. Cut that side, and if possible remove the head from the other side so you can spread that side of the mount open enough to get the disc in there. If that is too problematic, we have just moved slightly inward with the cut and mowed through the rubber, bolt sleeve, and bolt. Nasty, messy, smelly, but it works.

Reactions: Stockli
Thank you all, cut off the passenger side and got it out, took 3 HF cut off wheels to do it. Heading to Lowes to see if they have replacement bolts and better wheels for the other side. Blaine i know you have linked to a cut off wheel you like to you have that brand name handy?

thx

Thank you all, cut off the passenger side and got it out, took 3 HF cut off wheels to do it. Heading to Lowes to see if they have replacement bolts and better wheels for the other side. Blaine i know you have linked to a cut off wheel you like to you have that brand name handy?

thx
I use Sait .045 or Pearl .045's. Type 27

I dont think I need new CA's but if there is a history of stuck bolts I do plan to remove and reinstall after some rust treatment. Whats the best way to do that? If I have jack stands on the axle do I need to relieve some weight from the CA?

I dont think I need new CA's but if there is a history of stuck bolts I do plan to remove and reinstall after some rust treatment. Whats the best way to do that? If I have jack stands on the axle do I need to relieve some weight from the CA?
nope, just leave it on the ground. I am doing on my 4 post lift no jacking up to relieve any pressure needed.

Reactions: Viking Jeeper
OK well that sucked, took 7 disks to get off both bottom bolts, bought Blue Hawk type 27 disks and they were worse than the HF type 1. Took several IPA beers and a hot tub soak to straighten my back out. Blaine I will definitely be getting some of your recommended disks to have on hand....as soon as I can find less than a 50 pack...lol. I will tackle the uppers and rear at another time, hopefully those bolts are not as seized as these. Anyone have issues with the other bolts?

I used a ryobi saw all and it zipped thru it like it was butter. I also applied some antisieze on the shank of the bolt and the inside hole of the control arm bushings.

You can't always get the bolt out of the control arm to reuse. Sometimes they are just seized up good. I have one that is the "kings sword" of Jeep parts... flame, 3ft breaker bar, air hammer, and a balljoint press have all been ineffective in removing the bolt.

Nasty, messy, smelly, but it works.

My sawzall is still nasty from doing this years ago.

Oh yeah, my Ryobi cut off saw, the deck on my lift, my semi balding head, clothes all stink and are covered in burning rubber, metal and other "sundries" see above post, IPA, hot tub, shower and now vodka drinks to the rescue!