Stuck on door strap bracket

^spidron^

Hey all, I’m in the midst of carrying out some small repairs on my 99 Sahara that I bought recently (first Jeep, woohoo!)

First and foremost on my list was repairing the door straps as the previous owner had pretty well destroyed them. The mounting brackets were ripped clean off on both sides and the sheet metal on the drivers side is bent out of shape. On the passenger side, I drilled out the holes to 1/4” and installed rivnuts to re-attach the bracket. It worked like a charm, but when it came time to do the driver’s side I found myself a bit stuck. You can see in the image below that the old screw is shorn off and sticking somewhat proud in the bottom hole. I’m working with a fairly limited set of hand tools, and because of my apartment situation I’m working on the car while it’s street parked. All this to say, I am stumped as to how I can drill out what’s left of that bottom screw without my drill bit dancing around like it’s a party. I’m about as green as they come with this sort of thing, so I really appreciate any wisdom or advice you all can offer!
8668461D-BD94-49B4-8072-0EEC3363AFC0.jpeg

Drill a hole in a plate or piece is wood, clamp it to it and it will guide the bit.

Search "nutserts" or "rivnuts" ..they may be a good repair option.

Assuming you can run power to the street (or use a 12V inverter); maybe invest in a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel.

Last edited:
Another option assuming that you can run power to the street. Purchase a Dremel pointed tip bit and try to flatten the end of this screw that is there so that you can carefully center punch a hole for your drill bit to start in. Start with a small bit and tried drilling it out once you get close to the diameter of the screw you can use a tap to clean the threads out.

I have had my eye on a dremel for some time, I think that might do the trick. Time to buy myself Christmas present.
Thank you all, this really helped!

I have had my eye on a dremel for some time, I think that might do the trick. Time to buy myself Christmas present.
Thank you all, this really helped!
I have a cordless dremel, it works but not as well as my corded dremel.

If you have a TJ you will need a dremel. The rest is optional.

-3 ton floor jack
-6 ton jack stands
-soldering iron
-complete set of 1/4 3/8 1/2 inch drive sockets in mm and inches with appropriate ratchets
-complete set of metric and inch combinations wrenches, ratcheting preferred
-strap wrenches
-complete set of torx sockets from t-10- t-55
-various fluid pumps

This is only a start.

If you have a TJ you will need a dremel. The rest is optional.

-3 ton floor jack
-6 ton jack stands
-soldering iron
-complete set of 1/4 3/8 1/2 inch drive sockets in mm and inches with appropriate ratchets
-complete set of metric and inch combinations wrenches, ratcheting preferred
-strap wrenches
-complete set of torx sockets from t-10- t-55
-various fluid pumps

This is only a start.
You forgot a hammer.
Big one. 😉

I don't anticipate that anybody was holding their breath for an update here, but the dremel worked a treat! I've got working door straps for the first time, what a luxury indeed :ROFLMAO:

Thank you all for your help!