Subaru Outback does Swan River Middle Fork

OldBuzzard

nerd before it was cool
Supporting Member
Breckenridge, CO.

Yesterday, we ran Swan River North Fork uphill, and across the top to Middle Fork, and back down. When we came down the "obstacle" (steep, very rocky section) we found a Subaru Outback in trouble. He had come in from another easier trail and got onto this one in error. He had made it part way down the roughest section, lost some plastic skids (splash plates), and bashed in a door. He was stuck, and he and his wife were distraught. Some of the guys in our group of 22 Wranglers (plus a Bronco and a CJ7) helped them get down below the "obstacle". One Jeep carried the wife down to graded roads, she had had enough. The guy drove the Subie out.

Very nice folks, they said they drove the Subie on trails all of the time, but missed a turn somewhere. I'm surprised the car could do any trails at all around here. Low clearance, very little articulation, no low range.

Notice the farthest vehicle, white.
Subaru_Outback.jpg

they said they drove the Subie on trails all of the time

Those Subaru people... :rolleyes:

There are two types of Subaru owners; lesbians, and middle-aged suburbanites who are convinced their Subaru wagon is just as capable as a Jeep or truck. :sneaky: I once had a guy tell me his Subie wagon could go wherever my Jeep could go. We didn't have a chance to test that, but he seriously believed it.

There are two types of Subaru owners; lesbians, and middle-aged suburbanites who are convinced their Subaru wagon is just as capable as a Jeep or truck. :sneaky: I once had a guy tell me his Subie wagon could go wherever my Jeep could go. We didn't have a chance to test that, but he seriously believed it.

I once drove my Baja Bug to the top of a mountain, and found I guy sitting on the hood of his CJ5 having a beer. I pulled around him, drove a few feet higher, and hopped out to enjoy the view. Maybe I'm a Subaru guy and just don't know it. o_O

Baja_Bug.jpg

Wells calls this trail "Moderate" North and Middle Fork of the Swan River # 71 p 168 Third Edition.

TrailsOffroad calls most of these trails 3-Moderate, but that one section is called 5-Difficult. There are somewhat easier bypasses, which might get it down to 3-Moderate, but they're currently buried in snow.

Saw a pack of Subies airing up at the trailhead last time I was up there, but i think they had done Georgia pass. It is pretty impressive some of the places they manage to get those things into.

They definitely make up for it on the road though. An absolute shitbox forester pulled up to a stop light next to me this morning. It turns green and I hear that turbo spool up and he was just gone. It's been a while since I've seen a car as fast as that thing.

They definitely make up for it on the road though. An absolute shitbox forester pulled up to a stop light next to me this morning. It turns green and I hear that turbo spool up and he was just gone. It's been a while since I've seen a car as fast as that thing.

Back when I was playing with fast cars, I knew a guy with a mid 2000's STI. That was a fairly fast street car. I liked it. I knew another guy with a similar model Subaru wagon who couldn't keep a transmission (manual) in his car. He said they were made of glass and known to break. I think he swapped 3 or 4 before he got rid of the car. He was an easy race. ;)

Back when I was playing with fast cars, I knew a guy with a mid 2000's STI. That was a fairly fast street car. I liked it. I knew another guy with a similar model Subaru wagon who couldn't keep a transmission (manual) in his car. He said they were made of glass and known to break. I think he swapped 3 or 4 before he got rid of the car. He was an easy race. ;)

Yeah I've never really been into Subarus other than watching rally races so don't know much about them. They seem like good enough cars. Just can't stand most of the people that drive them, especially here.

My wife drives an '18 Forester. Not an offroad vehicle, not a powerhouse.

It would be a fine car if it had about 100 pounds less electronic junk. Screens everywhere, chirps, beeps, warnings, stupid touch controls, drives me nuts.

It beeps, you look at the screens to see what it's complaining about, and the only thing you can find is "Warning: Keep your eyes on the road" — which you can't do if you're going to heed the beep and read the warning.

There are two types of Subaru owners; lesbians, and middle-aged suburbanites who are convinced their Subaru wagon is just as capable as a Jeep or truck.

Well, I’m neither a lesbian nor middle-aged, and I live a mile off public roads, so definitely not a suburbanite. We currently own two Subarus, so there are definitely more than just two types :ROFLMAO:

You may be surprised how far back into forest service roads / moderate trails you will see Subarus in Colorado. Don't underestimate them, especially the old ones like the GL wagon.

My wife has a friend whose husband is really into his outback. We’ve had dinner with them a few times and I was showing him pictures of my recent rubicon trip. He asked if he could bring his outback and come with next time since it “has as much ground clearance as a Jeep.”
I told him that I’ll take him up to gatekeeper in the Jeep so that he can see those rocks in person and then decide if he thinks his Subaru will drive over them. 🤣