Subaru Outback does Swan River Middle Fork

Maybe, but to me (and hopefully this doesn't derail this thread), a Jeep is not a car. I like my LJ for off-road pursuits and getting to the off-road pursuits. For a daily driver, I prefer a small wagon with AWD because my day job requires moderate off-roading on job sites where traction is iffy and one can get stuck in flat muddy fields with RWD cars. I also have a heavy foot, and fuel economy with my LJ is 10-12, but with my 98 Impreza it's double that. I've heard TJ owners brag about high fuel economy, but that's not realistic for me. Plus, most of those are stock. I have no urge to modify a shit-box Subaru, but the urge to modify a stock TJ would be unbearable, and before I knew it, I'd have a gas-guzzling TJ overbuilt for a daily driver. I'm not a one-vehicle feller - I have vehicles for every occasion!;)

oh I know, I was jokingly implying a TJ is the perfect car, but I know better. Right there with you on the vehicles for every occasion, too. It drives my wife nuts that we have 4 vehicles right now but I remind her that she has two and can sell one whenever she wants. :ROFLMAO:

Hers: 2010 4Runner for family hauling and road trips, 2008 Accord 4cyl for commuting but can also haul the family and doesn't get THAT much better mileage than the 4runner anyway. Mostly just got it to keep miles of the 4runner to delay it's eventual replacement (it's already pushing 200k and she wants another one, or a Bronco)
Mine: 2006 LJ for fun, 2000 Silverado 1500 3door/4x4 for truck stuff

On that note, can I borrow a few dollars, it’s time to pay insurance. :sneaky:

That's another advantage to driving old beaters. They're paid for, cheap to replace, and I only carry liability, so insurance is reasonable!

And, to answer your question. No, you can't borrow a few dollars! :ROFLMAO: I learned a long time ago not to lend money to friends that I expect to be paid back. It's a good way to ruin a friendship, and if it's a true friendship, gifts work better. ;)

Reactions: Blondie70 and BlueC
oh I know, I was jokingly implying a TJ is the perfect car, but I know better.

That's good to hear. I love my LJ, but if I only owned one vehicle, it probably wouldn't be the LJ. It's more single-purpose than any of the other vehicles I own.

• Sad
Reactions: RINC
I thought about buying this, but I like AC.

Screenshot_20220914_084410.jpg

I'll bet there are head gaskets on that engine!

Typically , turboed air cooled VW use a solid copper " head gasket" rings. also the use steel shims between the case and cylinder to dial in what ever deck height is desired ! The engine posted puts out 300 h.p.

One thing I like about the VW air cooled world is an extremely good after market. If you have the cash someone is building the parts you want.
I really like this forum because we can talk cars / Jeeps / engines / etc.. and give each other a little crap and most guys don't get butt hurt . Thanks for the chat sab !

I really like this forum because we can talk cars / Jeeps / engines / etc.. and give each other a little crap and most guys don't get butt hurt . Thanks for the chat sab !

Likewise! I learned a long time ago that no matter how knowledgeable I get on a subject, I can always learn more from others with different or more experience - hence the "Semper Discens" motto to the left. Always learning! I have thick skin and love the dialog here, too!

Typically , turboed air cooled VW use a solid copper...also the use steel shims between the case and cylinder to dial in what ever deck height is desired !

The current factory Subaru head gaskets are pretty much steel shims - multi-layered steel. They're not flat, though - they have raised ridges around the perimeter of all the holes.

Also, on the KTM SuperMoto engine (the old RFS single cylinder engine) I built almost 20 years ago, two head gaskets were used to dial in the compression ratio and ensure piston-valve clearance was adequate. Yes, it was that close to the edge. I had to adjust valves every 15 hours on that engine to keep that clearance in check! But that engine made some ponies and torque, so it was worth it. I still have the heads and engine cases somewhere in my garage (I sold the stroker crank and big bore piston/cylinder some time ago after I got too beat up to ride the thing anymore).

Reactions: ColoJeep
I see no other way.

On that note, can I borrow a few dollars, it’s time to pay insurance. :sneaky:
I think your safe :unsure:
That's another advantage to driving old beaters. They're paid for, cheap to replace, and I only carry liability, so insurance is reasonable!

And, to answer your question. No, you can't borrow a few dollars! :ROFLMAO: I learned a long time ago not to lend money to friends that I expect to be paid back. It's a good way to ruin a friendship, and if it's a true friendship, gifts work better. ;)

Since you said never lend money to a friend @BlueC should be able to borrow money. In less of course you consider him a friend :ROFLMAO:

Since you said never lend money to a friend @BlueC should be able to borrow money. In less of course you consider him a friend :ROFLMAO:

Of course I consider him a friend! If not, the 57 page loan contract for non-friends involves collateral such as a kidney, a right arm, first born sons, etc. You don't want to borrow money as an enemy... ;)