Subaru Outback does Swan River Middle Fork

This was visiting up the street last evening. Looks serious. $300+ of Rotopax stuff.
View attachment 440619

1689123651895.jpeg

My DD is a '13 Outback 2.5L w/ 6spd. Just rolled 180k miles yesterday. It had 4mi when I picked it up at the dealer. Paid $22.5k before TTL. The shortblock was replaced under the oil consumption lawsuit at 102K. Well, it's back to consuming ~1/2qt every 3k miles. I haven't experienced any unexpected repairs or failures, but I'm entering that window when original equipment is nearing end of life.

Last month I bought new tires. The shop wouldn't align it due to a bad front LCA bushing. They quoted $3500 to replace F&R struts, front LCA, and rear UCAs. I repaired everything in my garage for ~$650, plus $130 for alignment. The clutch is starting to make noise. I expect that my daughter's manual trans driving lessons are accelerating the clutch's demise.

Overall, it's been a good daily driver. 25mpg mixed, 31 highway. Comfy for a road trip. It can carry a set of 35s with the rear seats folded down. It's an absolute hoot in snow and slippery conditions. It's cheap to insure, thieves ignore it, and cops don't look twice at it. If the manual was still offered in Outback, I'd get another. I can't stand the CVT and don't fit comfortably in a Crosstek.

I can't stand the CVT and don't fit comfortably in a Crosstek.

at 5'7 my 2014 Crosstrek seems almost big to me, but that CVT does freak me out, so far so good at 100k 🤞 but I'm not holding my breath. I've averaged between 32-33mpg over the years but that's driving very conservatively as is my habit so I'm sure it's lower for the heavy foot crowd.

I really don't like the newer ones, they've gone way too techie, when I think back to my first Subarus (80 & 84), they were like garden tractors with windows, 40 years later they're more like space ships. When my current ride craps out I'll probably head back to a Honda, as much as I love Subarus they're not quite as low maintenance as Honda. I'll miss the AWD though, it is by far the most fun I've ever had driving in shitty conditions.

Reactions: RINC
that CVT does freak me out, so far so good at 100k 🤞 but I'm not holding my breath.

IDK about the Subaru stuff, but my dad has a Civic with a CVT and it's at 220K miles with no problems, and he's a minimal maintenance kind of person.

When my current ride craps out I'll probably head back to a Honda, as much as I love Subarus they're not quite as low maintenance as Honda. I'll miss the AWD though

So buy an AWD Honda.

So buy an AWD Honda.

depending on what's available I may do that, I've owned multiple Hondas and Subarus, I kind of flip flop back & forth between them though I'm a small car guy & currently Honda's AWD offerings are mainly of the SUV variety, zero interest in SUVs. The one exception is the HRV & in its original form was the approximate equivalent size-wise of the Crosstrek, though I don't think the AWD system was nearly as good from what I've read. They recently came out with the new generation and substantially up-sized it & uglied it up quite a bit. Honda has never been big on styling but they really screwed the pooch on the new HRV. So I'll remain on the bench as long as the current ride works for me & hopefully in the meantime they'll produce something that fits. I'll still likely go back to them even into a FWD car, as much as I enjoy the AWD it's really not necessary, we've gotten less and less snow over the years & even when we get it the DOT is pretty crackerjack at getting rid of it immediately. In fact, this past winter saw zero point zero inches of snow (Philly region). I literally did not have to remove a single flake of snow from anything, that's pretty remarkable. Over the past 40 years it's gone something like this:

Subaru years: I try to get out before the plows & salt trucks to have some fun

Honda years: I wait an hour or two after the storm and the streets are clear

Mine has a cvt, my ladies (wife and 2 teenage daughters) are manual transmission phobic. Since I am cheap and drive my cars into the grave, I get the cvt fluid replaced every 30k. So far, so good.

Reactions: RINC
I'd love to know the backstory on that Subaru in the video. At the end, they said it was going to the scrapyard after they remove the engine, so it must have been in an accident that tweaked the unit body on it. Reckless abandon was liberally applied in the making of that video!