Substitute for Mopar ATF-4

Bob.Gibson

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I need to add ATF to top up my auto trans but ATF-4 is not available any where in New Zealand currently.
Is there a substitute?

I need to add ATF to top up my auto trans but ATF-4 is not available any where in New Zealand currently.
Is there a substitute?
You don't have access to Valvoline, Castrol, Redline etc.?
Val-ATF-FS-Plus4-product.jpg
7a-3baf905056f6_1.3212a9e89f2c049d1c0f710ab3fb9dd7.jpg
0000222_c-atf_464.jpg

Is there a substitute?
I'd top it off with Amsoil and change it out when it comes back in stock. I could have easily sent some though had I known you were in need. Still can if it comes to it.

Reactions: Head Lice
I'd top it off with Amsoil and change it out when it comes back in stock. I could have easily sent some though had I known you were in need. Still can if it comes to it.
Only need about a litre to top up. I’ll try again next week and see what I can find. Not sure if we have Amsoil here

Tha

Thanks MrBlaine. They are closed until Monday so will follow up on it then. I assume that Amsoil is only for topping up until I can get the +4
That is how I would do it unless they have a very convincing argument that their special fluid will work in place of ATF+4. Convincing enough that they will pay for a trans if it doesn't work. The reason I would use Amsoil multi vehicle is due to it being full synthetic. ATF+4 is either full synthetic or nearly so.

That is how I would do it unless they have a very convincing argument that their special fluid will work in place of ATF+4. Convincing enough that they will pay for a trans if it doesn't work. The reason I would use Amsoil multi vehicle is due to it being full synthetic. ATF+4 is either full synthetic or nearly so.

If you use the correct oil and their oil is at fault, they will pay to repair:

https://amsoilcontent.com/ams/lit/g1363.pdf
Their ATF is recommended as a replacement for ATF+4 in the 42RLE Jeep application: https://www.amsoil.com/p/signature-series-multi-vehicle-synthetic-automatic-transmission-fluid-atf/

So my understanding is that OP would be covered if Amsoil caused the failure.

Reactions: SvtLdr and mrblaine
If you use the correct oil and their oil is at fault, they will pay to repair:

https://amsoilcontent.com/ams/lit/g1363.pdf
Their ATF is recommended as a replacement for ATF+4 in the 42RLE Jeep application: https://www.amsoil.com/p/signature-series-multi-vehicle-synthetic-automatic-transmission-fluid-atf/

So my understanding is that OP would be covered if Amsoil caused the failure.
Great research thanks MrBlaine. I’ve been working on my market stall all day so not had time to do much rrasesrch of my own. Looks like you have saved me a lot of time. Just home now will start following up after I’ve had my diner. Won’t be able to talk to any one at Amsoil till Monday though

Ok I've ordered Amsoil Multi Vehicle Synthetic ATF.
Their technical data sheet very specifically claims it exceeds the +4 spec required the Chrysler.
Will be a few days before it arrives.
Problem now solved.
Thank you everyone who contributed to the thread.

Jerry do you know what’s in the ATF-4 that makes it so vital for Jeep Auto trans?
I read an article about that many years ago and while the specifics are a bit fuzzy, it had to do with the front wheel drive mini van transmissions and the shifting issues they had. They developed a new fluid that wound up being either full synthetic or nearly so to solve those issues which also made the requirement that all companies who sell a version meet that spec. That requirement is also why I use a lot of Walmart brand ATF+4.

I read an article about that many years ago and while the specifics are a bit fuzzy, it had to do with the front wheel drive mini van transmissions and the shifting issues they had. They developed a new fluid that wound up being either full synthetic or nearly so to solve those issues which also made the requirement that all companies who sell a version meet that spec. That requirement is also why I use a lot of Walmart brand ATF+4.
If my memory serves me correctly, it had something to do with a slip addative being added to the fluid. This was supposed to make the shifts less harsh on the FWD vehicles. At least thats what the corporate told us when I worked for Dodge.
This is going back to the early 90's. AFT+4 is just an updated/upgraded formula to the previous versions. +, +2, +3.
I do remember doing a trans flush in my 91 mustang using chrysler fluid. I made it about 2 miles from the dealership before the trans started experiencing sloppy shifts.

Hello another fellow from NZ here and in a similar shoes as OP. I am too looking for a substitute for ATF+4 and wondering if @Bob.Gibson had any luck sourcing one or if Amsoil worked well as a substitute? Thanks