Suggestions for a louder exhaust system?

I had the banks and liked it quite a bit. Would have liked it better if I had pulled the rearmost cat off. I'm thinking of getting a flowmaster or thrush and getting the rear cat out of there. I have a Borla touring with the cat right now and its pretty quiet.

Can you describe the sound of the Borla? Is it "pretty quiet" in a good way or bad way, or do you mean it doesn't sound much different than stock?

I have a Borla Cat Back system I got for Christmas a few years ago still in the box for my Jeep. I don't know if I want to install it or sell it.

• Wow
Reactions: Bas-NL
Can you describe the sound of the Borla? Is it "pretty quiet" in a good way or bad way, or do you mean it doesn't sound much different than stock?

I have a Borla Cat Back system I got for Christmas a few years ago still in the box for my Jeep. I don't know if I want to install it or sell it.
Run it.
This will sound better when the engine is actually under load.

Reactions: Bas-NL

I like a loud exhaust so I'm probably biased. I don't remember what my stock exhaust sounded like so I can't compare to that. It is a quieter than the banks and pretty tame under 2500. If you get your foot in it you can hear it. I'd probably install it and see how you like it. I can't give an unbiased review unfortunately.

Run it.
This will sound better when the engine is actually under load.

That is not the same borla exhaust they sell today. They only make one as far as I know, which is the touring exhaust I have. It sounds absolutely nothing like that video. The old ones were louder than the one I have.

That’s lame. They don’t make anything the way they used to.

I think they discontinued a lot of exhausts for the TJ. I remember wheeling with a guy who had a Borla. That influenced my decision on my new exhaust. Unfortunately the one I got doesn't sound much like his. I imagine he had the same one as the video you posted. If you removed the cat I bet the borla would still sound decent.

The engine configuration is the main factor as to how exhaust sounds. Think of any inline engine and see if you like the sound: Honda Civic, Jeep 4.0, SeaDoo.
V engines sound a certain way: Harley, any V8, etc etc

I personally don't want to amplify the SeaDoo sound of my 4.0L..

I had a flowmaster on my gmc sierra with a 8.1. When i towed my camper the sound was so annoying i could'nt wait to get to the campground. Changed it back to stock, much better now. My tj sounds good to me stock. JMO

The engine configuration is the main factor as to how exhaust sounds. Think of any inline engine and see if you like the sound: Honda Civic, Jeep 4.0, SeaDoo.
V engines sound a certain way: Harley, any V8, etc etc

I personally don't want to amplify the SeaDoo sound of my 4.0L..
You are comparing 4 cylinder exhaust notes to 6 cylinder exhaust notes. Not even close to the same. While your examples may share the inline design, they do not share the same amount of cylinders and pistons.

You can not honestly say an inline 4 cylinder and an inline 6 sound the same. If you were right, in that inlines sound the same, does an inline 4 cylinder sound like an inline 8 cylinder?

I think inline 6 engines sound amazing. The 4.0L from Jeep, the RB26 from Nissan, the 2JZ from Toyota, they all sound great IMO.

Reactions: por212
Just my own .02 I always thought anything, ( JEEPS INCLUDED ) with loud exhaust / muffler that wasn't a muscle car or race car was a joke !! Usually the only vehicles that sound throaty & nice without sounding like shyt typically a 4 or 6cyl weed whacker buzzing or farting out the unburnt fuel down the road are BIG V- 8's. Everyone knows it can't get out of its own way, so why make it sound like it can ?
So my question is ....... WHY ???

• Love
Reactions: Zorba
I had a local exhaust shop custom fit a whole new system on my manual 97 4.0. Flowmaster 40 series muffler and universal Magnaflow cat. I personally love the sound.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Just my own .02 I always thought anything, ( JEEPS INCLUDED ) with loud exhaust / muffler that wasn't a muscle car or race car was a joke !! Usually the only vehicles that sound throaty & nice without sounding like shyt typically a 4 or 6cyl weed whacker buzzing or farting out the unburnt fuel down the road are BIG V- 8's. Everyone knows it can't get out of its own way, so why make it sound like it can ?
So my question is ....... WHY ???
Some of the commenters here are saying they want to be able to hear their engine to know how high it's revving. My TJ has an automatic, so that isn't important to me to know when to shift. That might be different if it had a stick.

The tach on my Superhawk 996 is out. At lower revs and speeds, I can approximate it's rpms by ear. At higher rpms, sometimes I bounce off the Rev limiter before I know where redline is now.
Or, they do inline the sound on an online 6, and that's up to their preference.

You are comparing 4 cylinder exhaust notes to 6 cylinder exhaust notes. Not even close to the same. While your examples may share the inline design, they do not share the same amount of cylinders and pistons.

You can not honestly say an inline 4 cylinder and an inline 6 sound the same. If you were right, in that inlines sound the same, does an inline 4 cylinder sound like an inline 8 cylinder?

I think inline 6 engines sound amazing. The 4.0L from Jeep, the RB26 from Nissan, the 2JZ from Toyota, they all sound great IMO.
I agree, cylinder count on inlines changes the sound. Twins, triples, i4, i6. I'd like to hear open exhaust on one of the i5s Volvo did or does use...