Suggestions on transfer case replacement

Wait... You're saying that the engine bogging down under 2000 rpm is purely a coincidence with the fact that he just replaced the distributor? I understand that the transfer case is independent from the distributor but engine performance is definitely not.

This is 100% not a transfer case problem.

I must have missed something along the way. I thought the issue was binding under 2k rpms. That would have nothing to do with the distributor.

I must have missed something along the way. I thought the issue was binding under 2k rpms. That would have nothing to do with the distributor.

I think if @Tank97 has any other Jeepers in the area he may want someone who knows about the 4.0 and it's drivetrain to give a second opinion. Coincidences happen, but having RPM related issues after replacing the distributor is certainly a coincidence that shouldn't be ignored. Not like he is saying the problem happened when he replaced a stereo, after all.

That being said, I would double-check my list of replicating this issue and pay close attention to how the engine sounds at various RPMs from 500 to 2,000 in each state and in each gear when applicable. It could very well be a mis-firing issue that feels like binding: the vehicle acts erratically, until the engine is firing so quickly he can't tell there's a mis-fire on one of his cylinders possibly.

We are, after all, only considering the transfer-case in the first place because some shop told him it needed to be replaced wholesale. The fact that most of us here know a transfer-case can be rebuilt and is a markedly simpler task than just about anything in the drive-train to rebuild and is only replaced in catastrophic failures points to the shop not knowing their you-know-what from a hole in the ground. The fact he can drive without issue above 2,000 RPM also suggests that it's not as dire as that shop makes it out to be (meaning they either don't know what they're doing or they do and are trying to extort him).

In any case, I am certainly skeptical of the transfer-case at all.

@Tank97 knowing that, I'd redo the distributor, maybe even replace the cap again since they're so cheap. Either way, this requires more troubleshooting.

Ya I would probably check ignition timing . Did u change the rotor when u where in there
Yes, I replaced distributor rotor and the cap. How would I check the timing, is that somthing I should ask the shop to do since I want picked it up yet?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I think if @Tank97 has any other Jeepers in the area he may want someone who knows about the 4.0 and it's drivetrain to give a second opinion. Coincidences happen, but having RPM related issues after replacing the distributor is certainly a coincidence that shouldn't be ignored. Not like he is saying the problem happened when he replaced a stereo, after all.

That being said, I would double-check my list of replicating this issue and pay close attention to how the engine sounds at various RPMs from 500 to 2,000 in each state and in each gear when applicable. It could very well be a mis-firing issue that feels like binding: the vehicle acts erratically, until the engine is firing so quickly he can't tell there's a mis-fire on one of his cylinders possibly.

We are, after all, only considering the transfer-case in the first place because some shop told him it needed to be replaced wholesale. The fact that most of us here know a transfer-case can be rebuilt and is a markedly simpler task than just about anything in the drive-train to rebuild and is only replaced in catastrophic failures points to the shop not knowing their you-know-what from a hole in the ground. The fact he can drive without issue above 2,000 RPM also suggests that it's not as dire as that shop makes it out to be (meaning they either don't know what they're doing or they do and are trying to extort him).

In any case, I am certainly skeptical of the transfer-case at all.

@Tank97 knowing that, I'd redo the distributor, maybe even replace the cap again since they're so cheap. Either way, this requires more troubleshooting.
It's very possible I screwed somthing up when replacing the distributor, I'm not a mechanic so I just did what you tube told me to do. Im currently recovering from a fractured elbow, so everything is a little bit harder to do, which is why I took the jeep to a shop in the first place. But when I get the jeep back I will try replacing the cap and other things that people have suggested on this thread.

Yes, I replaced distributor rotor and the cap. How would I check the timing, is that somthing I should ask the shop to do since I want picked it up yet?

If this is the same shop that told you that your transfer case is bad. I would say no don’t let them do it. Idk if there’s any YouTube videos on how to do it but u would need to purchase a timing light unless u can rent one from a auto parts store.

I’m pretty much thinking u should take
This jeep to a different shop and get a second opinion.
It’s hard to diagnose exact issues over the internet with the vehicle not in front of me.
Either way I don’t trust the shop that u took it to to even fix a sandwich at this point

I’m pretty much thinking u should take
This jeep to a different shop and get a second opinion.
It’s hard to diagnose exact issues over the internet with the vehicle not in front of me.
Either way I don’t trust the shop that u took it to to even fix a sandwich at this point
Okay, I'll get a second opinion tomorrow?

Check your plug wires. Its pretty hard to screw up a cap and rotor. They are keyed and really only go together one way. Tough to screw up the timing. They may be bad though...OR, if you put the plug wires on incorrectly, you may have a rough running engine. Google the firing order of the 4.0L. You should be able to get the engine close to Top Dead center by hand, then look at where your rotor is. That should be plug one. Follow the firing order after that.

Ya I would probably check ignition timing . Did u change the rotor when u where in there
And the winner us @ErikOffraod! Took it to another shop and my distributor was off by 2 teeth. So the timing was all messed up. $100 And the thing purrs like a kitten!

Thank you everyone who responded and helped me with this. I hope to someday be able to return the favor some how.

Reactions: Daryl and tworley
Glad you didnt pay the other shop to tear apart your transfercase for no reason!

So I was told the same thing, new transfer case. Our issue is that it won’t move when we put in into 4wheel drive, is like someone chained it to the ground. Runs great and normal when not in 4wheel, I can barely pull the handle up to shift into 4wheel. 2006 TJ 65k miles so not abused.