Summer Tires vs All Season vs ATs

I don't think there are "summer" tires in Jeep sizes because it's not a performance vehicle.

I like Toyo Open Country AT III's lately. Balance well, and have pretty good wet performance. Or just go with whatever all-season you feel like.

I’ve ran these when they were the AT2 and loved em. Great in the snow and rain just a bit noisy for the highway on the JKU but we’re great on my dd YJ years ago. 😊

The
I agree with this. My wife had them in her JKU and they worked fine overall. Didn’t care for them off roading in snow and rocks but everything else they worked great.

KO2 is second rate if not 3rd in snow, rain, mud and pavement. They look good and can be had with a nice sidewall but I’d have to disagree.

Reactions: Artsifrtsi
Title says it all. I am up in Northern New England with my new-to-me '01 Wrangler on 16" Rubicon rims. I have a great set of winter tires, but now comes time to switch and I need to get a new set for the sun and rain.

For the next two or three years, I will be spending most of my summers on pavement. About two to four times a month I'll be driving 5-6 hours between Northern New England and Manhattan.

So my question is: What tires would be best for this situation? Summers? All Seasons? Are ATs now comparable to All Seasons for summer use? What would give the most "comfort" riding 65/70mph down the highway?

My understanding is:
Summers are great for handling and offer a minor increase in MPG, but compared to all seasons don't make a significant difference in highway drive quality. All seasons are more durable and will last longer (especially when used as a 'summer tire').

All Terrains would be nice, allowing me to sneak onto a trail every now and then, but I don't see the benefit to them if I am only making it out maybe once a summer in the near future, especially if they are much more expensive than comparable all seasons

Thoughts? Recommendations?

I like to think my TJ on all season 31’s still looked good.

IMG_1316.jpeg

IMG_1313.jpeg

I've been running Cooper Discover at3's for many years . Rides good , quiet and no hydroplaning . I now run Falken At4w on the Jeep and they are quite , handle well and no hydroplaning . Switched to Falken to get the 255/85r16 . Soon I'll be trying them out in the Arkansas mountains . The Cooper at3 tires did fine both on and off road in the mountains .

Original from last summer pickup in Orlando area
View attachment 517132

Go on FB marketplace for your area
A large % of new Jeep Wrangler buyers immediately take off the OEM rims and tires and dump them for sale.

City markets are saturated with them enough that I got 2 sets within months of buying my TJ. I put JK rims on with used mud tires, but chasing steering problems I didnt care for them on pavement

Two months later bought 2022 Sahara rims and NEW all season tires on for $600. Waaaay nicer pavement ride

JK used rims with used mud tires (31”) $500
View attachment 517131

JL new rims with new all season tires (32”) $600
View attachment 517129

By the way the OEM wheels and tires are very good condition if anyone wants them free, theyre yours Im gonna toss them this summer

The white lettering on those Goodyears looks CLEAN. If those are what you're offering, I might be interested.

One small caveat is that I'm running 16" on my Safari, not the OEM 15

Reactions: CreepinDeth
Title says it all. I am up in Northern New England with my new-to-me '01 Wrangler on 16" Rubicon rims. I have a great set of winter tires, but now comes time to switch and I need to get a new set for the sun and rain.

For the next two or three years, I will be spending most of my summers on pavement. About two to four times a month I'll be driving 5-6 hours between Northern New England and Manhattan.

So my question is: What tires would be best for this situation? Summers? All Seasons? Are ATs now comparable to All Seasons for summer use? What would give the most "comfort" riding 65/70mph down the highway?

My understanding is:
Summers are great for handling and offer a minor increase in MPG, but compared to all seasons don't make a significant difference in highway drive quality. All seasons are more durable and will last longer (especially when used as a 'summer tire').

All Terrains would be nice, allowing me to sneak onto a trail every now and then, but I don't see the benefit to them if I am only making it out maybe once a summer in the near future, especially if they are much more expensive than comparable all seasons

Thoughts? Recommendations?

This doesn't go without saying, but I wish it did because I learned the hard way. If you're new to short wheelbase solid front axle vehicles, just know that tire balance is VERY important. Even on new tires. Wherever you get tires, make sure the balance is dead on perfect. You'll get annoying shimmies or possibly DW if you don't.

The white lettering on those Goodyears looks CLEAN. If those are what you're offering, I might be interested.

One small caveat is that I'm running 16" on my Safari, not the OEM 15

Theyre yours if you want them
I was told they were just put on just before I bought it
Just shoot me a PM , theyre in NW Chicagoland burbs

They have been stacked next to my 442 in my garage since I took them off. Im not asking any $$$ , free to whomever needs them. Theyre gettin tossed if I cant find a good home for them

• USA Proud
Reactions: TheBoogieman
KO2’s are never in the conversation for me. I believe the only thing they have going for them is looks.

Same here. Tires are personal thing, one person loves one type, while the other one doesn’t even consider it.

I only buy the KO2's because it's one of the few 33x10.50's. Otherwise I don't like buying tires that take a pound of weights to balance out.

Our LJ had Grabbers — total crap. Wouldn't balance. But I had them on my Tacoma and they were fine.

Cooper AT3's? Most people love them. Complete garbage on my Tacoma. Crazy cracking between the treadblocks and weathering on the sidewalls that Cooper saw no issue with. Replaced them with the grabbers after 20 months of use.

Such varied outcomes indeed.