Swapping Gears from Dana 35

Matt789

Hello everyone. I own 2 TJs. One manual and one automatic. I recently swapped the transmissions between the 2 and just realized that they were geared differently. Now, I want to swap the gears also. Both have Dana 35s for rear differentials. I’ve been dreading it based on all I’ve seen regarding setting the gears up. However, someone just told me that if I’m doing a straight up swap, shims and all between the two Dana35s, I won’t need to do all the set up. Is this true? Can I swap the ring and pinion gears along with the carrier and just bolt it all back up? Or will I still need to get all the tools check all the settings. If so, would it be easier just to swap the whole rear axel assemblies between the two Jeeps? Any advice would be appreciated.

Just curious. Why all the swapping?
Originally bought the manual for my daughters to drive. It was pink and it was going to be their’s to drive during HS. They didn’t like learning a manual and the area we live in is very hilly. Bought the auto to switch the transmissions and I wanted one for myself. Now that the trans are swapped, I have to be in 3rd to go up hill in the manual and the auto tacs out at 55-60. Every bit of my mechanical ability comes from YouTube so I’m learning as I go.

Even though it’d be easier to swap axles, is it plausible to swap the ring, pinion, and carriers after rebuilding the rest of the axle first?
You'd have to setup the gears for the new housing

Do not assume the housings are identical, cause they won't be.