Swapping in a Dana 44 from a Honda Passport

Jackjack97

TJ Enthusiast
I am considering swapping my Dana 35c for a Honda passport/Isuzu rodeo Dana 44. I would like to get disk brakes. I am okay with the bolt pattern since I will be putting chromollys in. I am also comfortable with welding on new brackets. The main downside is it is 3/4” shorter. Is having an axle slightly less wide a bad idea? What are the best years to swap from? Anything to look out for?

Why thought? Why go through all the effort of this when you can just get a Dana 44 from a TJ, which are very common as it is.

I don't think it's going to be a huge difference that it's 3/4" shorter.

Agreed. Even if that axle is free, you are going to spend what a bolt in TJ Dana 44 costs on making it work.

I paid $550 for a disc brake Dana 44 out of an '05 LJ that bolted right in to my 99 (with '05 LJ e-brake cables being the only additional part I had to change). No way would converting something have saved enough money to be worth the trouble.

I paid $550 for a disc brake Dana 44 out of an '05 LJ that bolted right in to my 99 (with '05 LJ e-brake cables being the only additional part I had to change). No way would converting something have saved enough money to be worth the trouble.
where on earth did you get a Dana 44 for $550?? Everyone i've talked to wants $1500.

Reactions: Fughuert
where on earth did you get a Dana 44 for $550?? Everyone i've talked to wants $1500.

In some parts of US that is not an unusual prices to see.
On other hand, finding a decently priced Jeep part (or if you can find one at all) in Florida is like finding a holy grail.

Reactions: L0jik
Personally, I would go for a JK Dana 44 or Ford 8.8 if the TJ Dana 44 wasn't an option. The JK Dana 44 is significantly stronger and is wider as well. The 8.8 would require a significant amount of work, but is well supported by the aftermarket.

Personally, I would go for a JK Dana 44 or Ford 8.8 if the TJ Dana 44 wasn't an option. The JK Dana 44 is significantly stronger and is wider as well. The 8.8 would require a significant amount of work, but is well supported by the aftermarket.
JK Dana44 is a lot of work too, unless your going to run JK front and rear axles and shorten neither of them.
Also you have to get wheels that fit their bolt pattern.

Reactions: Steel City 06

It was on Craigslist. Guy listed both axles for $1600, I called and asked what he wanted for the 44. I think he said 1200, I passed and heard back from him a week later.

The key is finding someone that just has the desire to get rid of it and isn't trying to supplement their income. It takes patience.