Swayloc or TeraFlex dual rate sway bar?

TJBrad04

I have a feeling I already know the answer.... But what are some real world opinions between the different latch mechanisms on the two?

I have a feeling I already know the answer.... But what are some real world opinions between the different latch mechanisms on the two?

Are you familiar with the differences between the two? One is an interference fit that can't rattle and other is a pin in a hole that will.

I have the teraflex dual rate and I have no rattle whatsoever. I like it, it works well.

That being said, I think I might like the latch on the sway-loc because it looks like it would latch and un-latch easier.

If my rigs a little off camber, it can be difficult to get the pin to unlock. The newer version has a handle to give a little more leverage to turn the locking knob.
Not enough to make me wanna replace it, but if I was shopping for one or the other, I’d look closely at the sway-loc.

And you can get the little cylinder that makes it remote controlled!

20210110_131300.jpg

20210110_131659.jpg

20210110_131705.jpg

Yeah, I like that setup.

And there’s a remote setup for that too, isn’t there?

It's about as simple and reliable as it can be. The air actuator would be fun and useful in certain scenarios. But I don't see myself going that direction.

Reactions: Modoc Guy
I have the Teraflex. It works as advertised and has been reliable. But whenever I hear a new noise on the Jeep, this is the first place I look. I think it may have better tire clearance. Still, the next next time I will go with the Swayloc.

Something to consider,
TeraFlex was not the original vendor of the dual rate swaybar system Off Road Only WAS so they have more experiance with the setup. And as was mentioned if at some point you want the remote lock feature you can add it to the SwayLoc while you're SOL with TeraFlex.

It's more of a Ford vs Chevy thing too. I have the SwayLoc but I got mine by trading parts for it. I've upgraded parts over the years and now have their new version but I'm still using some the the original parts I put on back in 2006.

How does the Taraflex lock mechanism engage / disengage? Can you do that when it is under load? I think I heard something about a pin being involved.

On the Swaylock, even a slight load will keep it from changing from street mode to off-road and back. But you can still throw the lever, and as soon as you move and come out of bind it switches.

Does the Teraflex do something similar?

How does the Taraflex lock mechanism engage / disengage? Can you do that when it is under load? I think I heard something about a pin being involved.

On the Swaylock, even a slight load will keep it from changing from street mode to off-road and back. But you can still throw the lever, and as soon as you move and come out of bind it switches.

The Teraflex will bind when going from street to off-road under load. They come with a wrench that fits on the knob and I have yet to have any trouble under load when using that. When going from off-road to street it just clicks in as soon as you move.

Reactions: Wildman

Yes, the Teraflex when under load will be hard to unlock. You have to turn a knob that moves the pin, but I can use a pair of channel locks and turn it no problem. Since it's a round knob, you can't really get purchase on it to get it to turn.

The new units have indents on the knob, and a plastic wrench to help with that issue.

I'm going to fab a handle to fix my issue with the round knob. Pretty easy really.