Swivel head vs flex head ratchet

I've had and used ratchets for almost 50 years and never owned or even remember using either one of those. I'm not saying their useless, I just don't know the difference between them if there is any.

While typing that I imagine that neither one is too much different than these:
31CGLWB8GvL._AC_.jpg

I've had and used ratchets for almost 50 years and never owned or even remember using either one of those. I'm not saying their useless, I just don't know the difference between them if there is any.

While typing that I imagine that neither one is too much different than these:
View attachment 137713
For most situations I agree but if space or accessibility is an issue the flex heads are an option.

I was a machine repairman for 31 years at a tool & die plant. Made many a tool to get the job done.

Reactions: matkal
I've been fortunate enough to work in shops where I've had access to machinery and materials to make almost anything and lots of talented guys to help.

Reactions: Mjv
I’m thinking about taking one for the team and trying out HFs Icon brand.
I bought a 225 piece Pittsburgh kit for Jeep trips thinking I didn’t care as much if it got stolen.

Then I started using it and have been impressed, hardly use my more expensive tools anymore. Everything is convenient and it has nearly everything I’d need on a trip with the exception of a couple larger sockets and I also like their extendable 1/2” ratchet as a breaker bar on the trail.

I’ve used swivel sockets on occasion but never a flex head and I’ve messed with nearly every single bolt on my LJ.

Reactions: JMT and matkal
I have and use both swivel head and flex head ratchets, as well as a couple extendable handle ratchets, They are great tools and each have their usefulness.
My father has a 3/8 flex head Snap-on ratchet with a bent handle that doubles as a speed wrench. If I turned wrenches for a living any more I would probably invest in a that style too.

But $150.... naaaaaaa
1581551105324.png
https://shop.snapon.com/product/Dua...Standard-Handle-Bent-Flex-Head-Ratchet/FBF80A

Maybe I'll pass and buy an air ratchet instead.

The best air tool I have is my little Mac 1/4" drive slim head air ratchet. The thing is awesome at getting to all those stupid 8-12 mm (and whatever the std equivalent is) all around the engine bay. You can slide it into tight spots and zip them right off.

If you could only have one which would you get? Pros and cons?

I have personally never been a real fan of the flex head.. I have a few, and I've found its the kind of tool that you only need for very specific applications. The main drawback is that once you change the angle on the head the effective torque you can get on the thing drops and you tend to slip off.

I used the flex head ratchets as a crank handle once I get the bolt/nut broke loose. I fixed machine for 10 years and I have been working on airplanes for 30 so I have taken a lot of bolts off, and having a flex head ratchet is handy.

Reactions: matkal and reddvltj
I have both. Lots of fasteners don't lend themselves well to a standard ratchet particularly a long handle which as I have gotten older I prefer. A flex head has been my go to for thirty years, I have rebuilt them several times. Recently I got a set of swivel heads which I like a lot, I like the ability to spin a fastener just like using a nut driver. But if I could only have one it would be a flex head.

B

Ive never seen a flex ratchet before. Interesting.

That said, I've used swivels. Not the easiest but it got the job done