Synthetic blend 10w30 Quesion

SaharaBound

TJ Enthusiast
Was at Wally World and accidentally purchased the Valvoline 10w30 Max life synthetic blend instead of the typical Dino Valvoline. Has anyone used the Maxlife with good results or should I just go and exchange

It has been my experience synthetic does not do so well in olders motors that are set up looser and not designed for it. I would watch your oil level more frequently if you give it a try. I had an older 94 suburban the previous owner got rid of because it was using a quart every 800 miles. Switched it back to regular dyno oil and it started using a quart every 1800 miles. 74 husqvarna drit bike, clutch was slipping at max power, switched to old standard dyno oil in the crank case. Cured the problem.

I’ve used been using it in my Jeep since I bought it in 2016. Somewhere around 25,000 miles and no issues or leaks. Did an oil analysis with Blackstone last summer and it said results were good. Even said I could go to 8000 miles between oil changes. I usually around 4500.

I don’t really have opinion on Blackstone’s info either, I was just throwing it out there as to what their report said. It was the first time I’ve ever done one of their tests and was just curious as to what I would get back from them. I can’t wrap my head around going 8000 miles on an oil change, although I know motor oils are far better now than they used to be.

I’ve also been using the maxlife high mileage in my ‘99 Silverado for what seems like forever. It has 185k + miles on it. It does leak A little though and has for along time, even before I used the Maxlife.

Reactions: pagrey
Which one is synthetic, which is conventional, and which is high mileage blend?

Blackstone.png

Ive used the rotella t5 synthetic blend 10w30 since I got my jeep with no issues. ~50k miles.

My 230k mile Jeep gets Valvoline 10W-30 high mileage. I have no problems with it but I'm not an intensive user. I do an oil change every 6 months no matter the mileage. I think my last oil change happened after maybe 300 miles :ROFLMAO:.

• Face Palm
Reactions: TJ2
Was at Wally World and accidentally purchased the Valvoline 10w30 Max life synthetic blend instead of the typical Dino Valvoline. Has anyone used the Maxlife with good results or should I just go and exchange

I use Valvoline 10w30 Max Life Synthetic Blend in my LJ with a Fram Tough Guard filter, 5,000 mile service interval. Zero issues. I also use Valvoline Max Life motor oil in a high mileage Nissan motor and in a medium mileage Mazda motor. No issues with those either.

No reason to return the oil you purchased to the store unless you really want to run something else.

Which one is synthetic, which is conventional, and which is high mileage blend?

View attachment 182026

On 5/24/19 you switched to synth.

Decided against it, maybe developed a leak?

On 7/22/19 went back to conventional.

On 11/21/19 put high mileage blend in it.

1. First Walmart brand full 5w30 Synthetic. It did leak, but due to somebody nicking the RMS when they installed it. It hasn't leaked since I replaced it in May 2019. Tested it May 2019. This was the worst test so far.
  2. Put in 5w30 (I don't remember which brand, maybe Amsoil Signature) in May 2019, tested July 2019.
  3. Put in cheapo 10w30 conventional in July 2019, tested November 2019.
  4. Put in Max Life 5w30 in November 2019, tested June 2020.
  5. Put in Pennzoil 5w30 Ultra Platinum in June 2020.
I don't see any relation between type of oil and how the 4.0L engine wears. Obviously, I am still using oil that meets the specs that Jeep said to use (API certified, correct weight, etc) and I'm not intentionally abusing it with incorrect oil.

I don't see any relation between type of oil and how the 4.0L engine wears. Obviously, I am still using oil that meets the specs that Jeep said to use (API certified, correct weight, etc) and I'm not intentionally abusing it with incorrect oil.

Little to no difference in wear on an engine like that. The difference with synthetic is more likely to leak, but if it doesn't then you can get away with longer intervals between changes.

Synthetic is superior in many ways, you just won't really care unless it's a tight tolerance, high revving engine that gets the piss beat out of it regularly.