Tacoma vs TJ?

TJtaco4

What's better? Serious question. Hoping to hear it from the TJ guys. Been drooling over one for a while now.

I know some pros and cons of each, but not all of it, having never had a TJ yet. Maybe there's only one way to find out (by jumping in and getting one)

Tacoma pro's (2nd gen '05-15)
-mid year model had less electronic crap on it
-can be 4L V6 manual, engine not crazy complicated, some power
-long enough to fit a crawl box
-truck bed. Kind of sporty like a car. But still a truck. Can tow
Cons:
-aftermarket parts expensive shit for no reason
-harder to mod. Want a 3" lift and bigger tires? Congrats, you need $1000 leaf pack for the rear minimum. Now add shackle hanger mount upgrade, better shock, etc. and well, you see where this is going
-IFS probably has limitations

TJ:
-better angles (approach, departure, breakover)
-heard good things about 4L I6 engine
-affordable but still holds it value
-parts affordable, not overpriced
-purpose-built; solid axles and articulation
-seemingly easier and cheaper to off road mod including clearing bigger tires and lift
cons:
-non Jeep people say they're unreliable. People with them say they're great. Maybe the reputation is false. If not, how hard can repairs be? Wrenching isn't rocket science
-maybe a little harder to sleep (no truck bed) and somewhat reduced towing capacity

_2008Tacoma-1.jpg.b34c1f340798d8e1aa4f44a69f0b2304.jpg

What's better? Serious question. Hoping to hear it from the TJ guys. Been drooling over one for a while now.

I know some pros and cons of each, but not all of it, having never had a TJ yet. Maybe there's only one way to find out (by jumping in and getting one)

Tacoma pro's (2nd gen '05-15)
-mid year model had less electronic crap on it
-can be 4L V6 manual, engine not crazy complicated, some power
-long enough to fit a crawl box
-truck bed. Kind of sporty like a car. But still a truck. Can tow
Cons:
-aftermarket parts expensive shit for no reason
-harder to mod. Want a 3" lift and bigger tires? Congrats, you need $1000 leaf pack for the rear minimum. Now add shackle hanger mount upgrade, better shock, etc. and well, you see where this is going
-IFS probably has limitations

TJ:
-better angles (approach, departure, breakover)
-heard good things about 4L I6 engine
-affordable but still holds it value
-parts affordable, not overpriced
-purpose-built; solid axles and articulation
-seemingly easier and cheaper to off road mod including clearing bigger tires and lift
cons:
-non Jeep people say they're unreliable. People with them say they're great. Maybe the reputation is false. If not, how hard can repairs be? Wrenching isn't rocket science
-maybe a little harder to sleep (no truck bed) and somewhat reduced towing capacity

View attachment 252048
It would be helpful to let us know what do you want out of your vehicle

Reactions: lowranger
I have both and each has it's benefits. My Tacoma is my every day driver and I depend on it for everything. My TJ is just for fun. I would never try to drive it the distance I drive my Toyota. I will warn you that the Tacoma's like the TJ's did have frame issues from 2006 to I believe 2010.

Reactions: duncanator
4 wheeling = TJ
driving on pavement and fire roads = Taco truck
This.

Also I owner the 6 speed taco (05) for a decade. The manual sucks in this vehicle. Previous gen and subsequent hen have great manuals.

Trucks are great for hauling dead bodies or your neighbor's couch with hillbillies sitting on it, nothing else. I've had two lifted Toyota pickups on 35s.

Reactions: JM_TJ
Trucks are great for hauling dead bodies or your neighbor's couch with hillbillies sitting on it, nothing else. I've had two lifted Toyota pickups on 35s.
Agreed, my taco held many a body. It's nice to hose off the bed and doesn't make the cabin smell like death.

04-08 Tacomas had some frame issues. Inspect it very closely and make sure it wasn't torn apart for a frame replacement.

I have a 2003 Tacoma TRD and my TJ. The two can’t be compared in any way whatsoever.
I agree. I had a 2017 SR crew cab 4x4. Great truck but cannot compare to a TJ. The traction controls, wheel bases, and power plants are vastly different.

Also Nate from dirt lifestyle on YouTube took a stock TRD OR Tacoma on and off-road excursion and he had a good review.

I agree. I had a 2017 SR crew cab 4x4. Great truck but cannot compare to a TJ. The traction controls, wheel bases, and power plants are vastly different.
Exactly, driving the two back to back they have virtually nothing in common other than piss poor fuel economy.