Tail/Stop Light Lens removal

roverhi

1 1/4" body lift, 265x70x17 tires.
Supporting Member
How do you get the lens off the tail lights. Removed the four screws that look like the only thing holding the lens on but can't get the lens unstuck. Have tried prying with a flat blade screw drive but all that does is distort the housing leaving with the lens still stuck in place. Afraid I'll break the housing if I pry harder. Are there any other fasteners holding the lens on???
Why doesn't a 'bigger hammer' work when you need it?? It's a stock 2005 LJ if that makes a difference.

The 4 screws are all that hold it on. There is a foam type gasket that could be causing it to stick.

Unless a previous owner used something like silicone to seal it up. That would surely make it harder to get off without breaking.

They are always a little tough to get off. I take a flat plastic trim to and get just behind the lens and give it a little kiss

Thanks for the ideas. Will continue to gently pry it off. Hopefully a a hook tool will allow more pressure on the lens without damaging the housing.

Used a small hook tool to pry around the edges and was able to peel off the lens. Thanks again for the tips on removal.

Installing the LED reverse lights available elsewhere on this forum. Any advice on drilling the mounting holes for the light??

Used a small hook tool to pry around the edges and was able to peel off the lens. Thanks again for the tips on removal.

Installing the LED reverse lights available elsewhere on this forum. Any advice on drilling the mounting holes for the light??

Read Claytone wright up in the LED reverse light thread , it's easy peazy. With photos !

I pushed the metal shelf up against a board, and then touched the LED assembly to the board to get them even, and marked the shelf with the nail.

IMG_6138.jpg

The holes came out here on the shelf:

IMG_6141.jpg

Reactions: ColoJeep