Tailgate hinge

SAR

Had to replace the hinges on my 99 tj, I was able to get 4 of the 8 torx bolts with a hand held impact driver and a 1/2 inch air wrench. Broke 3 T40 sockets on the others. Found a simple solution that others may have shared but just in case. Drill the T40 head out with a bit same size as the threaded part of the bolt, the head will come off and the hinge can be removed. Then weld a regular nut to the bolt that's left and while hot turn out with a wrench. Hope this helps

Had to replace the hinges on my 99 tj, I was able to get 4 of the 8 torx bolts with a hand held impact driver and a 1/2 inch air wrench. Broke 3 T40 sockets on the others. Found a simple solution that others may have shared but just in case. Drill the T40 head out with a bit same size as the threaded part of the bolt, the head will come off and the hinge can be removed. Then weld a regular nut to the bolt that's left and while hot turn out with a wrench. Hope this helps

I do it this way and can sometimes spin the remaining screw out with my fingers.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Good idea- I hope I remember that if the time comes.

Is it just me or do all of you guys feel like there’s always just one bolt that turns a 10 minute job into two hours or something

Reactions: TonyArms