I recently added a new rear bumper with swing out tire carrier and noticed the rubber on my tailgate vent was deteriorating and wanted to replace it. I ordered one online and they sent the one pictured in my hand. It has no cover, no outer rubber seal and just flimsy paper to keep dirt etc from getting inside and its completely exposed to the elements. Is this the correct part? is there another part the goes over this part? I went by my local dealer and they said this was the OEM replace part number. The picture of the part I ordered (Quirkparts on eBay) was near identical to the one currently on the tailgate. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeep1.png

Jeep2.png

I recently added a new rear bumper with swing out tire carrier and noticed the rubber on my tailgate vent was deteriorating and wanted to replace it. I ordered one online and they sent the one pictured in my hand. It has no cover, no outer rubber seal and just flimsy paper to keep dirt etc from getting inside and its completely exposed to the elements. Is this the correct part? is there another part the goes over this part? I went by my local dealer and they said this was the OEM replace part number. The picture of the part I ordered (Quirkparts on eBay) was near identical to the one currently on the tailgate. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 217507
View attachment 217508
I haven't replaced mine, but I did remove it the other day. Here's a pic of both sides so you can compare.

B008D4D3-791C-469D-A55B-50BD5973B1AF.jpeg

2EF881FE-F982-4EFF-82BD-F5A554A808D5.jpeg

Do they just pop out?
They have four plastic clips, 2 on top and two on bottom. I would suggest pulling from one of the two sides rather than the top or bottom and going slow if you don’t want to break one. I looked at the pic above and they are hard to see. If you don’t care about breaking them, just pull it off.

Reactions: sideproject
To expand on this picture. This is the side that would be exposed. It would insert into the tailgate just as I'm holding it, with out any additional piece. The red arrow is pointing to what is essentially paper flappers, when they open its directly into the inside of the tailgate. It kind of looks like there is another piece that would go over those flappers kind of like the vent to the right in the picture but the "Parts" guy at the dealership said there isn't anything in their system that says there is.

Jeep2.png

To expand on this picture. This is the side that would be exposed. It would insert into the tailgate just as I'm holding it, with out any additional piece. The red arrow is pointing to what is essentially paper flappers, when they open its directly into the inside of the tailgate. It kind of looks like there is another piece that would go over those flappers kind of like the vent to the right in the picture but the "Parts" guy at the dealership said there isn't anything in their system that says there is.

View attachment 217674
Well, that certainly doesn’t look right.

This is my first TJ so , what is the purpose of this vent?
The purpose is to equalize the pressure when you shut the door and to also aid in circulating air for the heater/AC. I doubt it really helps with a soft top but is really needed with a hard top it makes shutting the doors easier and doesn't create pressure in your ears when inside shutting the door. I simply wanted to replace mine since the rubber around the exterior was deteriorating a bit.

Last edited:
  • USA Proud
Reactions: BlueChip
I ordered the stock OEM one and the one they sent me is the one in my pic. I even went to my local dealer and they confirmed that the OEM stock item. They said my normal (stock) spare tire carrier would help keep the elements off the "paper flappers". Since i have a swing out tire carrier they couldn't help.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I ordered the stock OEM one and the one they sent me is the one in my pic. I even went to my local dealer and they confirmed that the OEM stock item. They said my normal (stock) spare tire carrier would help keep the elements off the "paper flappers". Since i have a swing out tire carrier they couldn't help.
I'd just send it back. That's not OEM. No paper flappers. That would look terrible.

Im replacing mine now. There is a seperate plastic cover plate that can be ordered....that replaces the one you can see on the vehicle picture you provided. That flapper part goes underneath that.

Last edited:
Im replacing mine now. There is a seperate plastic cover plate that can be ordered....that replaces the one you can see on the vehicle picture you provided. That flapper part goes underneath that.

Do you have the part number for the cover? Even the dealers don't know what this is...

Justin

The purpose is to equalize the pressure when you shut the door and to also aid in circulating air for the heater/AC. I doubt it really helps with a soft top but is really needed with a hard top it makes shutting the doors easier and doesn't create pressure in your ears when inside shutting the door. I simply wanted to replace mine since the rubber around the exterior was deteriorating a bit

2002 and earlier had the vent(s) in the hard top. So i would say its a given not needed with a soft top.

My vent is partially blocked and on the rare occasion when the windows are up up can really tell. Doors don't like to close unless some authority is used.

Last edited:
I inadvertently bought a hard top for a 2003-up with no vents in the C pillars. Left the shop and immediately knew something was wrong. With no vent in either the top or the tail gate, the AC fan pressurized the passenger compartment enough to force the lift gate glass open slightly and it made a horrendous whistling noise. I turned right around and returned that top to the seller.

Do you have the part number for the cover? Even the dealers don't know what this is...

Justin

I had a hell of a time getting it....after describing what I wanted to multiple dealers...several sent me the wrong part...so it cost me over $100 to get this $25 part. I got mine off ebay from daveysjeeps. My ebay purchase won't allow me to open the link anymore to see the part#. I would call them on the phone. I've bought several things from them on both ebay and by phone and they were helpful.

Screenshot_20231116-123906_Chrome.jpg