Tailpipe touching hitch receiver?

In2Ice

I installed a hitch receiver on my '06 Rubicon. The tailpipe (custom that goes straight out and not angled down like stock) is only about 1/8th from rubbing on the hitch receiver so it vibrates and hits it when idling. I want to put a buffer (tape, rubber, cork, something) on the end of the receiver so when the tailpipe vibrates it doesn't Clink and clank against the receiver. Obviously it would have to be Heat tolerant. Thoughts?

Reactions: Chris
Any chance you could post some photos, that would help with the thought process.

I installed a hitch receiver on my '06 Rubicon. The tailpipe (custom that goes straight out and not angled down like stock) is only about 1/8th from rubbing on the hitch receiver so it vibrates and hits it when idling. I want to put a buffer (tape, rubber, cork, something) on the end of the receiver so when the tailpipe vibrates it doesn't Clink and clank against the receiver. Obviously it would have to be Heat tolerant. Thoughts?
I had that problem too when I installed my trailer hitch (Draw-Tite after market). I installed a metal shaft collar on the original tail pipe hanger. I adjusted it to where the tail pipe wouldn't rattle and tightened the set screw. That was about 6 months ago and I haven't heard a sound since. I forgot about it until I read this thread!

untitled.png

Reactions: Chris
I would if I can figure out how to post them...lol
I had that problem too when I installed my trailer hitch (Draw-Tite after market). I installed a metal shaft collar on the original tail pipe hanger. I adjusted it to where the tail pipe wouldn't rattle and tightened the set screw. That was about 6 months ago and I haven't heard a sound since. I forgot about it until I read this thread!

View attachment 9603

View attachment 9603

i had a similar problem like this a while back, my quick fix solution might work for you. i had the factory angled down pipe so I'm not sure exactly on yours where it might be rubbing.

1. Grab big ass flat head screw driver, a long one.

2. Crawl under the rig on the muffler side.

3. Follow the muffler and pipe until you find the first bracket supporting the pipe.
*It might connect to the chassis or something, I cant remember now..

4. Put the screw driver head behind the bracket, around and brace the screw driver on the chassis.

5. Pull towards yourself, hard. Repeat this step until the supporting bracket/ hanger is bent far enough.
*So the pipe cant rub. when its not far enough away, when you go wheelin you will hear it banging.

hope it helps, worked for me !

I bought a stainless steel non polished tip with a slight angle on the end of it, cut the tail pipe back and slid the tip on so the end of it was just short of the cross tube on the receiver hitch. There was no amount of stopping stuff from moving side to side that would have fixed mine.

I was going to say, if you took this over to your local exhaust shop they would fix it for you in 10 minutes and probably charge you $50 at most, seriously.

I've been in similar situations with previous vehicles where the exhaust didn't line up right with the bumper. My local exhaust shop always fixed it for me for a very fair price. Just two older guys who know what they're doing when it comes to exhausts!

I had the same problem so i put a thick washer under the bottom screw on the rear most hanger bracket where it mounts to the frame. that moved the tail pipe over giving about a 1/4 inch space between it and the hitch.

IMG_2534.jpg

IMG_2535.jpg