Tasteful LJR Build

Nice LJR! I was in a similar position as you last year debating on direction to go and in what order. I decided to bite the bullet and replace the suspension all at once instead of piecing things together. I went with one of the Currie kits.

They provide you with springs, control arms, track bar, relocation bracket, and links. They are steep in price but you can find deals if you look around. My ride actually improved vs my worn out bushings. (looked similar to yours) I have no regrets and feel good about doing it once and using quality parts.

As far as your 6 speed goes. I had some trouble with reverse at first but after changing my routine I've never had problems. After starting it take your foot off the clutch in neutral. Wait a bit. Push the clutch in and hold it down for a bit in neutral (maybe 5 seconds) then go into reverse. If you feel like the shifter did not engage all the way into reverse come back to neutral and release the clutch. Push the clutch in again and wait a little longer then try again. Mine seems to not like being rushed into reverse.

I was planning on going with the Savvy 3" kit. But I found a set of savvy arms and brand new currie track bar for cheap, so it looks like I'm going to piece together the rest of my kit. It will mainly be currie anyway.

I will try the new reverse technique, thanks! I'm very patient with the NSG370. I drive it more like a dump truck than anything else.

If the track bars are tight I wouldn't worry about them. The front upper control arms make more of a difference than the lowers as far as ride and steering feel to me. If you noticed a difference replacing the lowers then definitely replace the uppers, you'll be happy you did.

I'll have the wife turn the wheel a couple times and see if the track bar looks loose. But I'll definitely replace the uppers!

I have the same transmission and have not had this issue, but it would “clunk” into second gear pretty regularly. Some on here do not agree or like AMSOIL, but I do and use it in everything, wife’s 2014 Cherokee, my 2014 Indian motorcycle, and everything on my LJ. Once I changed the oil in the trans to the recommended weight of AMSOIL I have not had anymore issues.......

You must have the unicorn NSG370. Everyone I know complains about them in some way. I did notice a huge difference when I switch the Redline.

Update:

Some light wheeling. Only got 2 pictures, but I had a blast.

New issues that came up: need a new trans (reverse is gone), pretty significant clunking in the tcase or front driveshaft, and that's pretty much it!

hq2mK5eHTrOJinFlubKcrw.jpg

lmxvS_GxRvaEnMOYyB7V-A.jpg

I replaced the stock controls arms and added some diff protection. I'm debating replacing the track bars and upper control arms as I'm going to eventually lift it. But, given the condition of the lowers maybe I should??

Just my 2 cents, go ahead and get the track bars, but hold on install until you put in the lift.

34" Mud Terrain Tire
2.5" OME Springs
Currie Track Bars
Savvy Control Arms
Front Anti-Rock
Currie Correctlync Steering
Savvy Tummy Tuck with engine skid
Poison Spyder Corner Guards

Unless by 'Tasteful' you really mean a well built trail rig. Hell, you'll be in the 90th percentile!

Just keep in mind that MD, like VA, uses too much salt on the roads in winter (ie. look at your half doors), putting the corner guards on gives the salt some place to hide and do it’s corrosive thing on the body........just my 2 cents......

Just keep in mind that MD, like VA, uses too much salt on the roads in winter (ie. look at your half doors), putting the corner guards on gives the salt some place to hide and do it’s corrosive thing on the body........just my 2 cents......

I don't really drive that much in the winter just for that reason.

Reactions: FireJeep
If anyone is considering replacing their NSG370, this is what it looks like when it arrives at your doorstep

:)

b-_GoNVJSVe8HMP62mTbwg.jpg

yQ1HaNoIQ-WM1DqBjgHCWQ.jpg

If anyone is considering replacing their NSG370, this is what it looks like when it arrives at your doorstep

So where did you end up getting it? I would like to replace mine. Reverse is finicky. Otherwise, I have no complaints but sure would like to get reverse fixed.

So where did you end up getting it? I would like to replace mine. Reverse is finicky. Otherwise, I have no complaints but sure would like to get reverse fixed.
I went with High Impact Transmission and Gear.

I liked their warranty and shipping options.

Please let us know how it drives and anything you run into getting it back together.

Well the new trans is in! We were able to do everything in 1 day with 3 guys.

Concerns
  • I have driveshaft vibes now. The Jeep is NOT lifted. I also did not mark the orientation of the driveshafts before I removed them. I'm wondering if that is causing the issue??
  • The new NSG370 shifting is firm, real firm. 1-2 gear takes some time to get in. It's a lot firmer than my old NSG370.
  • I'm considering using Redline MTL, but High Impact warranty will only cover Vavoline MTF.
NSG370 Install
  • I found it easier to remove the tcase first, then the trans
  • Make sure to remove the bell housing dust cover bolts.. they will prevent the trans from being removed
NV241OR investigation
  • So my tcase makes a lot of noise when wheeling.. clicking back and forth whenever I'm in 4lo... I thought it might be the chain, so I replaced it. Turns out its how the tcase engages and stays in 4lo. I guess its normal?
  • Disassembling the NV241OR was actually not that bad. There are no c-clips like a 231 and everything was pretty straight forward
  • One thing to note: make sure the tcase is in 4lo for reassembly.

Let me know if anyone has any questions or comments!

okCyt99TRquktLmY7WihCA.jpg

xj58pDxNSuyoY0AobWyExw.jpg

zOmV7CiERPOB2Y99dxMeMg.jpg

Quick update, installed the following:

Zeon 10 Winch
Savvy TT
Savvy Control Arms
Banks Cat back

And then went wheeling!