Tell me about the '03 Rubicon

rancholago

TJ Enthusiast
Ran across a 2003 Rubion, its a 4 cylinder, did they come with 4 cylinders?
Did they all come with "Lockers", just rears? or both front and rear?
I am not up on the ins and outs of the Rubicon, any help would be great

No Rubicons came with 4 cylinders. They were factory equipped with 6 cylinder, 4:1 transfer case, 4:10 gears and front and rear lockers.

Ok thanks for the information, I am bewildered by this one, it looks legit. He advertises it as a 4 cylinder

here is a picture of the engine, looks like a 6 to me, but he states its. 4
Everything else looks like its a real Rubicon, actually its a tomb raider with red seat belts and red stitching on the seats

7233FD0A-7A49-483B-A8BA-1D216DD989DD.jpeg

The 6th digit of the VIN should be a 6.

Talk him down in price because of the wrong engine.

• Haha
Reactions: SvtLdr
Normally I would, but the price is right if everything checks out
6th digit is a 6

Ok
Well, I am going tomorrow to see it
You could sure be right about the confusion 4 Liter VS 4 cylinder
Far from dumb ass, young girl, maybe got confused
Got the VIN, it is a 6 so all is good
We will see how things go tomorrow

Ok
Well, I am going tomorrow to see it
You could sure be right about the confusion 4 Liter VS 4 cylinder
Far from dumb ass, young girl, maybe got confused
Got the VIN, it is a 6 so all is good
We will see how things go tomorrow
Look for pictures of Dana 44’s and memorize them. Look at the back of the transfer case for a red circular tag. It should say 241OR and 4.0 ratio

If she doesn't know what engine it is she might not know the value. Make sure it has the correct transfer case and axles. People have been known to remove them and sell the vehicle.

Reactions: Tob
If it has everything and no rust , they don't know what they have. They probably don't care.

If it's a deal, and you want it ...pounce.

I bought one last year and the seller purchased it a Wrangler... I tried to tell him it was a Rubicon model and he didn't care... I don't like to take advantage of someone's ignorance.... But to some people it's just more detail than they want to get into... They just want the thing out of the yard or whatever... And whoever gives them the money gets the Jeep.

One thing to take away from this is to learn how to recognize a Rubicon and realize that's a more sellable vehicle with typically higher value... And how to tell if one's just got stickers on the hood and it's not the real deal.

Thanks I did learn some things thanks
Well one thing you learned is that if it's a good deal on a Rubicon it's going to go really fast.

Don't feel bad.... Yesterday I learned you can't scramble eggs in a toaster.

• Haha
Reactions: John Cooper