Temp gauge shows 215 and I smell antifreeze

NateB

I just replaced the water pump and radiator (along with hoses) in my '98 4.0. The temp gauge shows it straight up at 215 and it seems to stay there. I have noticed smell of antifreeze and read in another post that this means that the water pump is not functioning as it should due to a loose belt. I have the belt fairly tight, no squeals or sounds. Just wondering if I am missing something here. My lower hose does not have the coiled wire, not sure what that would effect.

If the temp doesn't go above 215, that's normal. Normal operating temp should be around 210 to 230 degrees depending on conditions.

Did you replace the thermostat also? If you did, make sure you didn't put it in upside down.Coiled wire in a hose is just to keep it from collapsing.

I have not yet replaced it. I read that I have to boil it before installing it, is this true?

I have not yet replaced it. I read that I have to boil it before installing it, is this true?
No that's not true. Some feel the need to insert them into boiling water to see if they open but it's not necessary. I never have and see no foreseeable reason ever to do so.

No that's not true. Some feel the need to insert them into boiling water to see if they open but it's not necessary. I never have and see no foreseeable reason ever to do so.

Thanks for the info Jerry, I will install the new tstat and gasket and see where that takes me. Any thoughts on the antifreeze smell?

Does it smell inside the cab?

If so, you likely have a leak in your heater core. Coolant flows through the heater core (behind the dash).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info Jerry, I will install the new tstat and gasket and see where that takes me. Any thoughts on the antifreeze smell?
Make sure the new tstat is NOT described as "fail-safe" (which cause problems) and also make sure it has the correct 195 degree rating. Stant is a good brand, Stant's SuperStat would be a great choice. Low-end auto parts stores like Autozone don't carry anything as good as Stant, you'll need to go to a better store like NAPA to get better quality parts like that.

If you can smell coolant inside the cab, that's often coming from a leaking heater core.... a big job to replace.

Smell of antifreeze could also mean you spilled a little while doing all that work. Make sure and rinse everything off real well under the hood and around the radiator and then see if you smell antifreeze. I know it sounds dumb but you'd be surprised.

Reactions: Bird
Make sure the new tstat is NOT described as "fail-safe" (which cause problems) and also make sure it has the correct 195 degree rating. Stant is a good brand, Stant's SuperStat would be a great choice. Low-end auto parts stores like Autozone don't carry anything as good as Stant, you'll need to go to a better store like NAPA to get better quality parts like that.

If you can smell coolant inside the cab, that's often coming from a leaking heater core.... a big job to replace.

Would I see antifreeze if it is a leaky heater core?