TerryD's 2006 LJ Rubicon

My heim joint arrived today and I finally got the track bar back in and got to actually drive this thing!

Any suggestions for effectively cleaning out the frame?

I recently blew compressed air in one end while a shop vac was hooked up to the other end, kept moving around to different holes back and forth. Got a surprising amount of crap out. Won't do anything about rust, but it might be a good thing to start with.

I'm planning on plugging the holes and pouring some Ospho in mine at some point, it converts rust to something inert.

Reactions: TerryD
These Quadratec Hydro shocks are beating me to death. I'm considering a couple hundred invested in some KYB 2.5" lift shocks from RockAuto to get me by till I decide on a final lift kit. I have KYB on my Camaro and ran them on our Suburban and was happy with them.

Rancho 5000s are a forum favorite for a compliant and cost effective ride, in case you’re not fully sold on KYBs.

Are you running a lower tire pressure like 20-25psi? That will soften the ride on what look like load range E tires in your pics.

Reactions: TerryD
Rancho 5000s are a forum favorite for a compliant and cost effective ride, in case you’re not fully sold on KYBs.

Are you running a lower tire pressure like 20-25psi? That will soften the ride on what look like load range E tires in your pics.

I've run the Ranchos before so I'll look into them. I'll also check my tire pressure and do a chalk test this evening to see about that as well.

Reactions: Granite
Just ordered a Smitybilt rear bumper. I know they're not the best stuff but the price for a Class 3 rated bumper with some style and no tire carrier was unbeatable.

Installed the Smitybilt bumper and Fishbone support brackets.

1000007063.jpg

Now the spare tire doesn't fit...

I picked up a set of OE bumpers to run till I can get something else. I'm not happy that the SB bumper interferes with my spare so I'm gonna sell it and go another route.

The OEs came with fogs. I've got a set of pigtails inbound to fix their wiring.

1000007120.jpg

The Smittybilt is headed back tomorrow.

I'm looking at the GenRight Stubby front bumper.

https://genright.com/products/tj-lj-stubby-front-bumper-steel.html

And the DirtWorx tire carrier rear bumper.

https://www.thedirtworx.com/product-page/tire-carrier-with-single-can-mount

These look like they'll bridge the gap of affordable and quality nicely while being stylish and giving me the features I want.

I've got to begin the part out of my Xterra soon to help fund the Jeep parts.

My buddy picked up a set of color matched 1/2 doors for me today and I'm hoping to get them from him this weekend!

Reactions: Rickyd and Granite
Checked the blower motor resistor and replaced it. I now have all the blower speeds!

Then I replaced the fog light pig tails and they finally work.

Tomorrow I'm supposed to go get my half doors!

She's coming along nicely.

295 miles round trip in a relatively unproven vehicle today.

Picked up my doors and a transmission skid plate...
1000007194.jpg

Drivers door needed adjusted but fits good now. Uppers are brown (spice?) and usable but I'll be on the lookout for ones to match my top.

I had some wobble around 57mph. It looks like the new heim is already getting loose. I'm really disappointed in that. It hasn't even been offroad yet. Everything else looked nice and tight.

Reactions: Granite
Just ordered the RockJock front track bar.

Had some wobble on the highway Saturday and upon looking more closely today the RE track bar is flexing at the bend near the heim, the heim is already getting loose and the small contact patch of the misalignment spacer against the bracket is allowing some deflection of the bolt.

Reactions: Rickyd and L J
Picked up a set of black 1/2 door uppers Friday.

The spacers from @matkal showed up as well as the JKS disconnects I found on marketplace. They are the short set but I think they will work well enough till I can decide what direction I'm going.

I measured my caster this morning. 3.25° on one side and only 2° on the other. The LCA bolts are seized tight and if I'm going to have to cut them out, might as well go back with something good. Gonna look into the RockJock control arms and see if I can justify them right now.