Test drove this 03 Rubicon yesterday!

HDrdglide

I test drove this Rubi yesterday 155K for miles. Has new wheels and tires asking price is $12500. Pictures did not turn out to good. Frame is better than the pictures show I think.

What do you think?
0.jpg
0.jpg
0.jpg
0.jpg
0.jpg
0.jpg
0.jpg
0.jpg

Reactions: Chris
Yeah, that frame doesn't look too bad at all!

I'd say that's a really fair price! Miles don't concern me as long as it has been maintained. With that mileage the cooling system is due for an overhaul (if it hasn't been already), and you'd want to do a basic tune-up such as spark plugs, O2 sensors, etc.

If it's a manual on the original clutch, it will need a new clutch probably within the next 30k miles or so. If it's an automatic, the transmissions on those things tend to need a rebuild / refresh every 200k, sometimes less.

It has to be in 4 Low for the lockers to work. Was it in 4 Low? What happened when you pressed the locker switch? Did the light on the gauge cluster even light up at all, flash, etc?

It has to be in 4 Low for the lockers to work. Was it in 4 Low? What happened when you pressed the locker switch? Did the light on the gauge cluster even light up at all, flash, etc?

Oh shoot I am new to Wranglers no it was not in 4 low. I used to just putting my on anytime on the F150

The guy has owned it 4 years and did not even know how to put Elocker on? He said he never has used it. He put wheels and tires on it and drove it maybe 3,000 miles. I told him I need to be close to $10,000 on it.

One other thing the guy did say it was leaking a little in garage but he did not know what it was? I thought I smelled coolant?

Engine was smooth running.

Sorry did not read to well. NO light did not flash or do anything; all the other toggle lights worked fine.

Pictures could be a little deceiving, but that frame looks like it is rotted out to me. When you start to see rust around the holes in the frame, that isn't a good sign. If you have $10k to spend on a TJ, you can get a Jeep with no rust that is nicer than that one, it just might not be a rubicon.

EDIT: Coincidentally, I was on the near Chicago craigslist and found this:
https://ottumwa.craigslist.org/cto/d/2003-jeep-wrangler-rubicon-tj/6725712510.html
03 Rubicon with some nice modifications and lower miles than that one.

Last edited:
It might be but it looks like it’s flaking off to me. Could be decent

When I looked at it at first it looks like mud that has caked up in those same areas on my frame at certain points. It could be rust, but the OP can tell us for sure.

One other thing the guy did say it was leaking a little in garage but he did not know what it was? I thought I smelled coolant?

Engine was smooth running.

Yeah, like I said in my original post, with those miles it needs an entirely new cooling system. Radiator, water pump, hoses, etc. Not too expensive, about $1000 give or take. But with those miles, it needs to be done, so I'm not surprised there is a coolant smell.

Sorry did not read to well. NO light did not flash or do anything; all the other toggle lights worked fine.

Could be something as simple as a blown fuse since the light doesn't go on at all. However, the lockers themselves could also be bad.

If it were me, I would remain interested, but I'd take it to a local Jeep shop and have them do a pre-purchase inspection to see what they find.

I will add again that I can't tell if that is rust on the frame or if it's caked on dirt. If it's dirt, then no big deal, if it's rust, then I wouldn't buy it.

The guy that has it is very wealth; a huge farmer (grain) and major cattle operation. My son in law and I both inspect on a creeper and he has a lot of experience buying and selling old pickups. He said frame looked great and he would help me treat the surface rust. I was surprised at how bad the pictures looked when I got home also; it does look like rust but to our eyes it was much better than the pics.

Yeah, that frame doesn't look too bad at all!

I'd say that's a really fair price! Miles don't concern me as long as it has been maintained. With that mileage the cooling system is due for an overhaul (if it hasn't been already), and you'd want to do a basic tune-up such as spark plugs, O2 sensors, etc.

If it's a manual on the original clutch, it will need a new clutch probably within the next 30k miles or so. If it's an automatic, the transmissions on those things tend to need a rebuild / refresh every 200k, sometimes less.

It is a auto; what kind of money for a rebuild?

It is a auto; what kind of money for a rebuild?

It will vary from shop-to-shop, but I would say $1500 to $3000. I got quotes for around $2000 from a number of reputable shops. Fortunately it's not a very complicated transmission, and since it was used in such a variety of Jeeps, parts to rebuild them aren't super expensive.

Yeah, like I said in my original post, with those miles it needs an entirely new cooling system. Radiator, water pump, hoses, etc. Not too expensive, about $1000 give or take. But with those miles, it needs to be done, so I'm not surprised there is a coolant smell.

I replaced my cooling system (radiator, water pump, hoses, thermostat, thermostat housing, coolant flush and new zerex go5, and radiator cap for $500. All parts (minus coolant) was from wermopar.com. I agree though, at that mileage the system needs replaced