Testing HVAC vaccum pressure

Boomer453

TJ Enthusiast
What gauge/fitting set do you use for testing vaccum pressure? The ones I see are for fuel pumps and the adapters are all too large.

You will need a set of HVAC gauges and hoses, and you will need the quick connects that screw onto ends of the hoses so you can connect the hoses for automotive purposes. I also recommend some teflon tape for all hose connections to ensure you have tight connections. Make sure you get gauges for the type of refrigerant that you are working with-134a for the TJs.

Forgot to say: you want hoses of 6 feet in length. I am no longer a fan of the 'zon, but it's a good site for research. This link shows what you need, including the automotive adapters. The blue gauge in most HVAC manifolds have a portion for measuring vacuum, to the right and below the 0 psi marker.

HVAC Gauges/Hoses/Adapters

You will need a set of HVAC gauges and hoses, and you will need the quick connects that screw onto ends of the hoses so you can connect the hoses for automotive purposes. I also recommend some teflon tape for all hose connections to ensure you have tight connections. Make sure you get gauges for the type of refrigerant that you are working with-134a for the TJs.

No reason for Teflon tape, A/C hoses have o rings an do not seal on the threads.

My apologies for not being more clear, I'm chasing a leak on the vacuum lines that operate the interior hvac controls.

Only the defrost and floor vents work inside-im told that normally would be caused by a vacuum line leak. Figured I'd test the line in a couple of sections.

My apologies for not being more clear, I'm chasing a leak on the vacuum lines that operate the interior hvac controls.

Only the defrost and floor vents work inside-im told that normally would be caused by a vacuum line leak. Figured I'd test the line in a couple of sections.

Then the vacuum pump is the easiest tool to use. You can remove the control and test for vacuum from the engine then pump up each vacuum actuator to see if it holds vacuum. No the control switch should leak to release vacuum when switching between modes. If you want to do it without a tool you can take a short piece of vacuum hose with a plastic junction on each end then jump from the supply line to each vacuum actuator and see if the air switches. If it doesn’t switch check the arm on the vacuum actuator to see if it’s connected to the door. The vacuum lines should be color coded.