Texas Texas Jeepers!

Did another last minute run today at Hidden Falls with the man @JMT

Trails for the day were Wet N Wild, No Name, Turkey Creek and Royal Gorge.

We started off with a bathroom break.

Tried making our way up Slither but it was way slick.

Made our way through Wet N Wild

Finished up on No Name. This trail beat up on an FJ and boy was it fun to watch! Wish I had taken some pictures but I felt so bad for the guy.

I have some short videos that I will put together later.

I’m much obliged to @b0xcar for another great afternoon of wheelin! The trails mentioned were mostly ones we had never done. Slither, of course, was nasty.

Here’s a few pics I salvaged from video. In the way of photography compared to @b0xcar I suck!

Last edited:
NICE!
Can't go runnin' real soon 'cause I promised the Queen that I wouldn't be running around in the 2006 Rubi until I sold the 2001...so I'm spending all my time on getting that puppy to 100% (and then sold) BUT...I live in Lago and would love to join in on a ride out at Hidden Falls in the future, if I could intrude.

NICE!
Can't go runnin' real soon 'cause I promised the Queen that I wouldn't be running around in the 2006 Rubi until I sold the 2001...so I'm spending all my time on getting that puppy to 100% (and then sold) BUT...I live in Lago and would love to join in on a ride out at Hidden Falls in the future, if I could intrude.
Absolutely, and you’re very close by. HFalls is in your backyard. I look forward to a run together!

Excellent!!! I've been to HF with my Grizzly (ATV) but have yet to try it with a full-size vehicle. Should be a fun experience!
I'll keep the forum up-to-date on my progress with the '01 and the "new" Rubi and will, of course, reach out when I'm given the go-ahead* to play-at-will!

*OK, I give the wife a hard time but, I actually made a deal with her to get the Rubi and I'm happy to keep my end up. Just wish the weather would give me a break so I could do more work outside. ☀

Hi all!

Just bought my first Jeep last week ('99 Sahara) and I'm looking forward to wheelin' with you folks. It's not road-ready or trail-worthy yet but I'm gathering parts and work will soon be in progress! Hoping to make it to the MegaRun.

View attachment 76868
Nice looking rig! I love that color. What do you mean not trail worthy? That thing looks ready to roll. Love the tires and front bumper. What size and brand tires are you running?

I’m much obliged to @b0xcar for another great afternoon of wheelin! The trails mentioned were mostly ones we had never done. Slither, of course, was nasty.

Here’s a few pics I salvaged from video. In the way of photography compared to @b0xcar I suck!
View attachment 76658View attachment 76659View attachment 76660View attachment 76661View attachment 76662
JMT purty tough conditions to try out your new mods. Were you able to get a feel for your gears and locker performance? Looked kinda nasty for sure.

Hi all!

Just bought my first Jeep last week ('99 Sahara) and I'm looking forward to wheelin' with you folks. It's not road-ready or trail-worthy yet but I'm gathering parts and work will soon be in progress! Hoping to make it to the MegaRun.

View attachment 76868
That Jeep looks trail worthy to me! Looks like you have 35s, are you wanting to upgrade axles before you hit the trails?

Reactions: M35A2
Nice looking rig! I love that color. What do you mean not trail worthy? That thing looks ready to roll. Love the tires and front bumper. What size and brand tires are you running?

That Jeep looks trail worthy to me! Looks like you have 35s, are you wanting to upgrade axles before you hit the trails?

Thanks! But looks can be deceiving! Lol. Tires are 35" Pro Comp M/T and it has a 6" suspension lift (4" spring, 2" pucks). Unfortunately, whoever did the lift didn't account for the extra 2" and the track bar was pulling the rear axle a couple inches out of line. My new adjustable track bars are arriving today and I got my ZJ steering parts last week. Eventually, I think I may pull the 2" pucks out of the springs and put a 1" body lift on instead.
Additionally, it's only running on 3 cylinders right now, so I need to pull the injectors and clean/replace them. The Jeep was rolled over by the PO (I'm guess because the rear axle was out of line), so I'm thinking that some trash got into the fuel lines and plugged up the injectors. Also doing a complete tune-up, all fluids and filters and I was told that the RR tire wobbles, so I need to figure out if that's a bad tire, bad wheel or bent axle flange. Not planning to upgrade axles at this time (already has a Dana 44 in the rear), so I'm just gonna be very careful on the trails and not over-exert the little fella until I can dig into it further.

Oh, and the right side door is missing and I have no top for it whatsoever, both destroyed in the rollover.

@M35A2, sounds like you're on top of it and will have it all in working order soon. You've got a good start and your choices for pulling the pucks and doing a 1" body lift are good. I'd think the SYE and DC shaft should still work, but you might think that one over.

@M35A2, sounds like you're on top of it and will have it all in working order soon. You've got a good start and your choices for pulling the pucks and doing a 1" body lift are good. I'd think the SYE and DC shaft should still work, but you might think that one over.

Thanks! This is my first Jeep but not my first rodeo. Forgive the noob question... but SYE and DC?? Not familiar with those acronyms.

Edit: Nevermind... figured it out. Slip Yoke Eliminator and Double Cardan shaft. Had to do the same mods to my Blazer but it's been a while!

A couple of my past toys:

Last edited:
Thanks! This is my first Jeep but not my first rodeo. Forgive the noob question... but SYE and DC?? Not familiar with those acronyms.

A couple of my past toys:

View attachment 76923

View attachment 76924
Sorry about the acronyms. They become standard around here, but they can be a nuisance to newcomers to the forum. Nice toys! Love the flags too.

On a TJ, the rear driveshaft is so short that when we suspension lift the rig over 3" the driveshaft angle is so steep that you get driveline vibes. The fix for this is a Slip Yoke Eliminator (SYE) and a DC (Double Cardan) driveshaft. You obviously have one with 6" of suspension lift. The DC driveshafts are custom length for the amount of suspension lift you have. So, my thinking was that if you remove the 2" pucks you'll be at 4" suspension lift and your rear DC driveshaft may be too long. The 1" body lift doesn't affect the driveline angles so it wouldn't help correct the change. In the end you may need a new DC driveshaft if you go down to 4" suspension lift. But you may not either.

Sorry about the acronyms. They become standard around here, but they can be a nuisance to newcomers to the forum. Nice toys! Love the flags too.

On a TJ, the rear driveshaft is so short that when we suspension lift the rig over 3" the driveshaft angle is so steep that you get driveline vibes. The fix for this is a Slip Yoke Eliminator (SYE) and a DC (Double Cardan) driveshaft. You obviously have one with 6" of suspension lift. The DC driveshafts are custom length for the amount of suspension lift you have. So, my thinking was that if you remove the 2" pucks you'll be at 4" suspension lift and your rear DC driveshaft may be too long. The 1" body lift doesn't affect the driveline angles so it wouldn't help correct the change. In the end you may need a new DC driveshaft if you go down to 4" suspension lift. But you may not either.

Sadly, I'm pretty sure it still has a factory slip yoke shaft on it. :eek:

I crawled around underneath it a little bit over the weekend but just kind of poking around, not looking at anything specific, but I do recall seeing the factory rubber bellows on the rear driveshaft. Already priced out the SYE/DC kit from Advance, just have to take a closer look at the TC mounts and pinion angles to see how I need to proceed.

Wow! Where does one go wheeling in a 10-wheeler? X2 on the flags (y)

That would be Bundy Hill Off Road park iin Jerome, MI!
https://bundyhilloffroad.com/That pic was taken on a dried-out lake bed, hence the deep ruts. That 14,000lb beast punched right through the silt as soon as the tires started spinning (I was attempting to pull out a Ford that was buried up to the doors).

Don't forget spark plugs. They usually get pretty fouled in a roll-over and may be a big part of the problem.

Oh, yes. A full tune-up is planned. But as far as the injectors, I actually listened to each one with a stethoscope. 1, 2 and 6 aren't even clicking, so they're either completely jammed full of crap, electrically dead or there's a wiring harness issue. Need to get the new battery in before I go chasing down gremlins.

Anyone up for a wheelin trip to Katemcy Rocks?

March 29 (1:00 p.m.) – March 31 (noon), 2019
W. E. Rock Rockcrawling (Open Event)

World Extreme Rockcrawling is coming back to Katemcy! Come see some of the best in the business do amazing things with their buggies. Then go try out your own skills on the Rocks. W. E. Rock will have their rock crawling event going on AND we will have open wheeling as well. W. E. Rock details at https://www/facebook.com/werocklive/

Reactions: M35A2