Thank you for recommending Rancho RS5000X shocks!

Thanks guys, much appreciated. I'll take this opportunity to share the rest of the story. When I decided to order these the other day I stumbled onto Ranchos rebate. Went to buy them from Amazon but they were $195 so they didn't qualify for the rebate plus I wasn't sure if they're even an authorized dealer as required by Rancho. Anyway ended up finding them at 4wheelparts for $208 & they're a dealer so it made sense, spend $13 more but get $50 back.

Today two boxes appeared, the first contained 3 rear shocks (2 bearing the model number I ordered & the third bearing a number I did not order). The second box contained 1 front shock.

No big deal, sh!t happens. I called 4wheelparts & explained to the nice lady I spoke with that my Jeep is set up in the more customary way with 2 front wheels & 2 rear, we both laughed & she made the correction, overnighted out the correct front that was missing & emailed a return label for the rogue rear extra shock.

After that I decided to take a closer look at the 3 ones I intended to keep & discovered this compression issue. I called back and explained the issue, actually spoke with the same nice lady. She told me this was now a warranty issue & she'd have to contact Rancho :rolleyes:.

Uncle!

All 4 are going back. I had hoped to get these on this week in advance of this weekend's trip to the mountains but that's not looking likely.

I know this is a rancho thread. I have Ranchos on the rear and trail masters on the front. Are trail masters still good?

Why does everyone take off the boot? Wouldn’t it be bad for the shock if it went through the mud or something and got mud all over the shaft? I know the boot isn’t exactly 100% and stuff can still get in, but it seems like it would be way better than just leaving it all completely exposed. Educate me a bit.....

Also, I bought my set yesterday from Allen’s....can’t wait to get them!

Why does everyone take off the boot? Wouldn’t it be bad for the shock if it went through the mud or something and got mud all over the shaft? I know the boot isn’t exactly 100% and stuff can still get in, but it seems like it would be way better than just leaving it all completely exposed. Educate me a bit.....

Also, I bought my set yesterday from Allen’s....can’t wait to get them!
As another member replied, you can wash them off. Out in the West, (Arizona, California, etc) where sand is king, you don't want sand and small rocks getting trapped inside the boot. That stuff can tear up a shaft.

Okay, I just got mine installed. Fronts were a pain getting the old nut to pop loose, but managed. :cool:
Rear was even better. Did the passenger side first, exhaust pipe in the way.:( "Ha" I said to myself, "there won't be an exhaust pipe blocking the other side." :)
There's not, the gas tank is.:eek:
BTW, did anybody else drop a front nut behind the splash shield? :oops:Turns out that even though the nuts require a different size wrench, the factory nut works just as good as the Rancho nut.;)

Reactions: Matt77
Okay, I just got mine installed. Fronts were a pain getting the old nut to pop loose, but managed. :cool:
Rear was even better. Did the passenger side first, exhaust pipe in the way.:( "Ha" I said to myself, "there won't be an exhaust pipe blocking the other side." :)
There's not, the gas tank is.:eek:
BTW, did anybody else drop a front nut behind the splash shield? :oops:Turns out that even though the nuts require a different size wrench, the factory nut works just as good as the Rancho nut.;)

What did you do with the exhaust pipe and gas tank? Just hammer on them a bit? The exhaust and gas tank both move with the body so I’d imagine there needs to be a little clearance there

I just received mine a couple days ago but haven’t had a chance to mess with them yet. I’m thinking one day this coming week I’ll fool with them.

What did you do with the exhaust pipe and gas tank? Just hammer on them a bit? The exhaust and gas tank both move with the body so I’d imagine there needs to be a little clearance there

I just received mine a couple days ago but haven’t had a chance to mess with them yet. I’m thinking one day this coming week I’ll fool with them.
Hammering sometimes is good but you risk stripping a nut or breaking something. Sometimes if you can get your foot on a breaker bar etc it's better bc your legs are a lot stronger than your arms.

I just installed the Rancho's on my sled and it truly improved the ride. Much more civilized than the beasts someone else had put on the TJ. The old ones were too stiff.

Reactions: Matt77

Wiggled, cussed, fussed and busted my knuckles. I used a 3/8 inch ratchet with about 9 inches of extension on it. Twelve wouldn't have hurt.
BONUS TIP!!! The rears are held to the body with two bolts that go into the two slots on the shocks. Which ever bolt gives you the most trouble, you only need to loosen it a couple turns. When you get the other one out, the shock will slide off of the first.

Well, I had to see what all the hype was about so I ordered a set off Amazon. I may have missed the rebate minimum by $5 but I couldn't be happier with the difference they make. Thanks for another great recommendation!