That ONE time I hated my Dana 44

Rob L.

TJ Enthusiast
The first time I ever serviced my rear diff I bought a Lube Locker gasket because I avoid RTV whenever I can. I drain the fluid, clean the cover/axle surface and when I start to mate up the gasket the SOB isn't close to fitting. Of course I think they sent me the wrong gasket at first and I'm pissed that I'll have to wait for another or use RTV...

I get my wits about me and start looking up gaskets and they all look like the one I'm holding in my hand. So at this point I'm like , WTF mate (cheers Australia), but I just so happen to come across a photo that looks just like my axle.

It was at this moment that I realized that some beautiful soul opted for the Dana 44 from the factory...

I kept the Dana 35 gasket as a badge of honor

The first time I ever serviced my rear diff I bought a Lube Locker gasket because I avoid RTV whenever I can. I drain the fluid, clean the cover/axle surface and when I start to mate up the gasket the SOB isn't close to fitting. Of course I think they sent me the wrong gasket at first and I'm pissed that I'll have to wait for another or use RTV...

I get my wits about me and start looking up gaskets and they all look like the one I'm holding in my hand. So at this point I'm like , WTF mate (cheers Australia), but I just so happen to come across a photo that looks just like my axle.

It was at this moment that I realized that some beautiful soul opted for the Dana 44 from the factory...

@TheBoogieman would've complained and got a free gasket, got a refund, got to keep the wrong gasket, plus a massage with happy ending or he was going to the press with the info...

Couldn't resist 😎🚬

Ha that is understandable. Just so you know all Wrangler TJs that were exported from the US come with Dana 44 axles in the rear. At least that was the policy that was in place when I read it.

Ha that is understandable. Just so you know all Wrangler TJs that were exported from the US come with Dana 44 axles in the rear. At least that was the policy that was in place when I read it.
That interesting to know. Tennessee seems to import everything that is good except for football players...

Peyton Manning Sport GIF by Vol_Football

• Face Palm
Reactions: John Cooper
Not sure that is true, only certain models came with it standard in Australia anyway, many TJ,s do not have the Dana44 rear and is a selling point here.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Jerry I think it was a common option with the later 03-06 that dealers just added on the higher spec models, I think like US the 65th came as standard, I cant be too sure but the 44 is always mentioned in a sale and others want them for their TJ,s plus it was mentioned a few times after I bought my 65th that it had the 44, I didnt even take any notice when I was looking for one although I had read about it.

I remember waaay back when the TJ's first came out, I ordered one and traded in my YJ. It was the only time I have had a vehicle where the window sticker actually had my name on it. Heck, it was the only time I have ordered a car from a dealer and was also the last time I bought a brand new car for myself. When I ordered it, I told the salesman that I wanted to add the Dana 44 rear end and he told me that there was no such option. I had to actually show him the option code. He was no longer there when I went to pick up the Jeep 6 weeks later. I often wonder if that Jeep is still on the road someplace. I hope so.

So glad i came across this thread. I read this and realized i never checked the diff i had, just assumed i had a 35 since it’s a sport, i went out to check, and i have a 44! So glad the original owner opted for a 44, saves me the need to upgrade!