The days are coming to and end...

Ahoragi

TJ Addict
I got two buyers who want my jeep and probably got a couple weeks left with it. I sold my xj recently and that was a little hard to do because I had it for a long time and put alot of time into it. The TJ, on the other hand, has me with mixed feelings. I love the jeep but at the same time am tired of it because of all the recent issues and bad luck at shops. So I am feeling a bit relieved to get rid of it bu going to miss the driving "experience" the jeep provides.

How did you guys handle selling an old or ex jeep? How would you feel if you had to sell yours?

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and StG58
When I sold my last TJ, I regretted it the next day. After a month I was thinking it was the stupidest decision I ever made. I bought another just a month after that, and I'll never make the mistake of selling it again, no matter what kind of trouble it gives me (none yet)!

I've never sold one, but I would if I was having lots of problems. My plan would be to get another one without all the problems. Low miles and stock, one owner if possible.

I got two buyers who want my jeep and probably got a couple weeks left with it. I sold my xj recently and that was a little hard to do because I had it for a long time and put alot of time into it. The TJ, on the other hand, has me with mixed feelings. I love the jeep but at the same time am tired of it because of all the recent issues and bad luck at shops. So I am feeling a bit relieved to get rid of it bu going to miss the driving "experience" the jeep provides.

How did you guys handle selling an old or ex jeep? How would you feel if you had to sell yours?
Sorry to hear that you are at least temporarily getting out of the Jeep business @Ahoragi, it's a tough thing to do. I've always been an XJ guy, over 450,000 miles between two of them. Plain flat wore both of them out to the point they weren't even good parts rigs when I was done. It's a lot like putting an old faithful horse down, you don't like it, but you know it has to happen. I tend to get a little sentimentally attached to some of my rigs, and when they go away I just remember the interesting things and good places associated with them. Remember, but move on. It's just life.

Reactions: Squatch and PCO6
I've never sold one, but I would if I was having lots of problems. My plan would be to get another one without all the problems. Low miles and stock, one owner if possible.

Didnt take me long to figure this one out. This is the only type of Jeep I purchase. Hate to see some of the "mods" people seem to make on their Jeeps. :emoji_sweat_smile:

@Ahoragi, do you plan to replace the TJ?

When I sold my 07 Rubicon, I have regretted it for years, but I bought it new, ordered from the factory. Other Jeeps sold, not so much. I once swore I would never buy another Jeep, but have had 3 since. I can't say I would ever sell my curent Rubicon, though.

Sorry to hear that you are at least temporarily getting out of the Jeep business @Ahoragi, it's a tough thing to do. I've always been an XJ guy, over 450,000 miles between two of them. Plain flat wore both of them out to the point they weren't even good parts rigs when I was done. It's a lot like putting an old faithful horse down, you don't like it, but you know it has to happen. I tend to get a little sentimentally attached to some of my rigs, and when they go away I just remember the interesting things and good places associated with them. Remember, but move on. It's just life.
I'm an old XJ guy too. I bought a new black 4 dr. Laredo back in 1990 with "company money". We were given a pretty wide range of what we could get and because part of my job involved inspecting properties we owned for development purposes I said that I needed it for "off-roading" ... which I did. I wanted 2 dr. and my boss said "no" ... has to be a 4 dr. I jokingly asked for a Comanche and got the same answer. As much as I loved that 4 dr. and always thought I'd get another one I eventually got and still have the two I didn't get back then ... a 2 dr. Cherokee and a Comanche, both black with gray interiors.

BTW - I still have the 1990 Jeep sales brochure in which I highlighted all of the options I wanted!

@Ahoragi, do you plan to replace the TJ?

When I sold my 07 Rubicon, I have regretted it for years, but I bought it new, ordered from the factory. Other Jeeps sold, not so much. I once swore I would never buy another Jeep, but have had 3 since. I can't say I would ever sell my curent Rubicon, though.

I already replaced it with a beautiful woman i met. :D She actually made me forget about jeeps and it takes ALOT to do that. She is a ton of fun and just amazing to be around.

I have a 4runner with a factory rear locker that is super capable so i will be fine with that.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Kyle_W
Take a break from Jeeps, nothing wrong with that at all.

However, you'll be back one day. I'll bet dollars to donuts on that. Even if it's 10 years from now, eventually they all come back to the Wrangler! Can't blame em' either!

I was at peace when I sold my first 2002 TJ. I bought it new and put over 44,000 miles on it. it was a commuter car that I owned when I lived in the City. I bought it with a hard top to eliminate break ins and 3.07 gears for the highway. 8 years later I bought another 2002 with 42,000 miles on it. But this time I got it the way I wanted it the first time around (a soft top with half doors and 3.73 gears). cars come and go throughout life. I'm sure there will be another TJ and XJ in your driveway.

I'm a new member here. I sold my first TJ after seven years of ownership. As the guy drove off with it, I said to my son, "I think that was a mistake." That was fall of '11. I finally got another TJ in '15. I won't sell it. Also both have been and were amazing in terms of reliability. Both are '97 Sports and both stock. It seems like TJs are like old Volvos that will run forever or like old MGs that break down all the time. As a rule, when you are looking to buy a TJ, you want to find one that wasn't really taken off road. You may want to off-road it but you don't want someone's else's TJ that was road hard and put up wet.

I want to add that I am two years into my current TJ. It has 242k and in two years my total repair costs are at $80.

When I sold mine, I regretted it the next day and spent the next two years trying to find a perfect one. The one I let go had everything I could ever want. Dana 44 with LSD, it was a newer one (05) disc brakes. Great color...

Reactions: HongKongDrifter
Well it's been a couple weeks and I'm not regretting it. That is the surprising part cuz I thought I would miss it. I guess all the frustration from non-stop repair and maintenance killed my desire for it.

I been putting around in the 4runner and it's been pretty nice. That damn thing just keeps going with only a few minor hiccups like an 02 sensor or interior bulb. I blew through two overhead light bulbs since I got it. You know how much time and work it requires to change a bulb?? :goofy:

HOWEVER....something decided to park itself in my carport last week.....

20171003_181646.jpg

Well my son thinks there is something wrong with me. Bout 2 years ago I gave him my 93 YJ and a few months later I bought my 2005 TJ. Every time he drives over to visit I go and sit in the YJ. Had the YJ for 15 years and I truly miss it. We did everything together, (no I didn't name it Brad) mudding, beaching rock crawling and cruising everywhere. I regretted giving it to him the very next day. I did get the Milemarker winch and Ahooga horn off of it. He has to give it back and can't sell it when he get another vehicle.
Hummm !

image_20161105_082617_1478369641177(1).jpg

Well it's been a couple weeks and I'm not regretting it. That is the surprising part cuz I thought I would miss it. I guess all the frustration from non-stop repair and maintenance killed my desire for it.

I been putting around in the 4runner and it's been pretty nice. That damn thing just keeps going with only a few minor hiccups like an 02 sensor or interior bulb. I blew through two overhead light bulbs since I got it. You know how much time and work it requires to change a bulb?? :goofy:

View attachment 23315
At least you're still in the family!

Hey, you're still on the forum, so that must mean you have some love for them still, right?

Sad face in regard to selling your jeep

Frankly I would not be happy about selling my jeep. I had a guy offer to trade me his rubicon for my sport and I turned him down. His rubicon was a bit rusty, but mostly it is my first jeep and I refuse to part with it.

I understand the issues building up to the point you don't want it. I've spent many thousands repairing and upgrading mine since the PO didn't do maintenance except fluid changes. I've hit points where im pissed and want something newer. Then I realize I spent months looking for TJs and couldnt part with mine. Most of the issues I've had though are just like water pumps, clutch, general scheduled maintenance. Nothing major. But still it adds up quickly and I understand your frustration.

I truly hope you will buy another TJ. They are my favorite jeep.

Last edited:

View attachment 23315
Nice looking Cherokee. That's one Jeep that I never had the experience of owning. My daughter and son-in-law owned one for a while, and I drove it once or twice, but I never really had the desire to own one. I understand that they have a sort of cult following, though. The one that always catches my eye is in the movie Castaway with Tom Hanks and Helen Hunt...

Reactions: Chris
My TJ is by far my favorite vehicle I've owned, ridiculously fun and trouble free.
BUT i must admit, i have no tolerance for troublesome vehicles.
I just recently sold a car for a little of nothing just to get the junk out of the driveway. Lol

Before the TJ I had a 99 WJ Limited. The engine at 203k developed rod knock and the engine was done. Which I will say since it had the same engine as my TJ (I6 4.0) was unexpected and sucked! The rebuild was going to cost me 4k in parts and labor. I didn't have the money and my bank was of no help in getting me a loan to get her fixed.

I took her out to the dunes and the trails. Installed skid plates and was in the middle of doing her up with LEDs and putting on the tow hooks. But man did she cost me a lot of money in repairs for the short time I owned her. Either a lot of things came up at once or maybe she wasn't all that taken cared of by the previous owner. Hard to say really since she drove pretty good, didn't have much in the way of problems, and I took care of her. All I know is that engine died young. Bought it May of 2015 with 159k. This was my first Jeep and it was hard to let her go, but I had to because I had no way of fixing her and she was no longer fit for driving. No one wanted her either because of the engine. I sold it to someone who was interested in the frame for $300. When I signed over the title I was at piece with the whole process and I got the chance to say goodbye.

Even though I do not have her any longer I still have the memories and the pictures. Here she is parked in front of my TJ.

With the WJ.JPG

Last edited: