The grass is greener, get the F out of your home state thread

Zorba said:
Fun fact: Did you know that The Villages has the highest instance of STDs in the entire nation?

Granny got game!
granny.gif

They leave Cali and try to get their new home state to adopt the same laws as Cali.
Most states don't want Cali transplants.
I had a co-worker say something about "one more democratic vote in Florida" in reference to my upcoming move. I told him, and I quote: "Excuse me? EXCUSE ME? I am NOT going to Californicate the state of Florida!". He could NOT get out of my lab fast enough!

I had a co-worker say something about "one more democratic vote in Florida" in reference to my upcoming move. I told him, and I quote: "Excuse me? EXCUSE ME? I am NOT going to Californicate the state of Florida!". He could NOT get out of my lab fast enough!
Well you are without a doubt one of the exceptions. I have several friends that live in Texas and they despise the fact that Californians are moving there.

Reactions: Rick Flair
Neither is NJ. New Yorkers are moving here in droves.
I'm in a townhome community which sucks, but the last 7 units that went up for sale on the market were all purchased by NYers.
Most likely just people moving out of the city due to working from home. We had a hard time renting my son an apartment in southern NH last summer. Realtors said all the people moving out of NYC, Boston etc were moving there to save money as they are working from home. Even the community where we built our vacation home in PA is being over run. So many people started working from their second home there that the sewage system got over run. They just put a 5 year building moratorium there now.

• Sad
Well you are without a doubt one of the exceptions. I have several friends that live in Texas and they despise the fact that Californians are moving there.
There are a few things I like about California over Florida - being that I'm a Libertarian, not a "conservative" nor a "liberal", although I do say that I "lean right". With that said, I'm to the point of opposing most "liberal" ideas that I actually support because I don't want to give them the toehold! Dealing with "conservative" ideas that I oppose will just have to wait for another day - the current situation in Texas being exhibit A.

There are a few things I like about California over Florida - being that I'm a Libertarian, not a "conservative" nor a "liberal", although I do say that I "lean right". With that said, I'm to the point of opposing most "liberal" ideas that I actually support because I don't want to give them the toehold! Dealing with "conservative" ideas that I oppose will just have to wait for another day - the current situation in Texas being exhibit A.
Northern California, Oregon, Washington and Colorado are beautiful. Unfortunately for me they are blue states, which puts them off the "where to move to" list.
I've been to Florida more times than I care to remember. South Beach used to be a favorite spot back in the day. I also worked in Melbourne for a while. I liked Florida as a place to visit, but couldn't live there. As I got older I started disliking the heat more and more.
I need a state that has 4 seasons and mountains. I grew up in Northern NJ and I have it all, but the cost of living has gone through the roof and the taxes are obsene. Liberal state that caters to undocumented citizens. Sanctuary state and it makes me sick.
My parents and in-laws are still around, so I'm tied to NJ for now.

Most likely just people moving out of the city due to working from home. We had a hard time renting my son an apartment in southern NH last summer. Realtors said all the people moving out of NYC, Boston etc were moving there to save money as they are working from home. Even the community where we built our vacation home in PA is being over run. So many people started working from their second home there that the sewage system got over run. They just put a 5 year building moratorium there now.
NY'ers have been moving to PA in droves for years. I remember back in the late 80's early 90's LTS builders used to run ads in the NY Post and The Daily News. They also used to offer special mortgage rates to minorities to entice them to move there.
The Pocono's are so over run with NY'ers. These people move to PA, but commute to NY everyday for work. The amount of traffic on RT80 in NJ is ridiculous.
I would consider a move to PA, but it would have to be in a less populated area where meth labs are non existent.

NY'ers have been moving to PA in droves for years. I remember back in the late 80's early 90's LTS builders used to run ads in the NY Post and The Daily News. They also used to offer special mortgage rates to minorities to entice them to move there.
The Pocono's are so over run with NY'ers. These people move to PA, but commute to NY everyday for work. The amount of traffic on RT80 in NJ is ridiculous.
I would consider a move to PA, but it would have to be in a less populated area where meth labs are non existent.
I agree, the community my house is in is predominately NY and NJ. about 70% are second homes. My parents retired there full time from Long Island. It has 3 pools, stables, ski mountain (we ski free), restaurant, lodge and motor boat lake. I avoid holiday weekends due to the crowds but there is plenty of hiking, fishing all around. Since Covid and the building moratorium my house has appreciated at least a 100K.

I have been trying to convince the wife to dump both paid off houses and take the 1.2 mil and move to eastern TN...so far she won't go for it.

It's worth it folks. I gave up a great paying job. My wife gave up a career in law enforcement. We are both very much happier and we work places that appreciate us, don't HR camp our beliefs, and live in a community that mostly shares our values. And if they don't, who cares? The mindset here is if you don't agree; have fun. Don't shove it in my face.

Northern California, Oregon, Washington and Colorado are beautiful. Unfortunately for me they are blue states, which puts them off the "where to move to" list.
I've been to Florida more times than I care to remember. South Beach used to be a favorite spot back in the day. I also worked in Melbourne for a while. I liked Florida as a place to visit, but couldn't live there. As I got older I started disliking the heat more and more.
I need a state that has 4 seasons and mountains. I grew up in Northern NJ and I have it all, but the cost of living has gone through the roof and the taxes are obsene. Liberal state that caters to undocumented citizens. Sanctuary state and it makes me sick.
My parents and in-laws are still around, so I'm tied to NJ for now.
I hear you - although I don't like the heat either, I certainly don't want ANYTHING to do with that white crap the falls on the ground in winter in so many places. Grew up in California - I don't do snow...

Florida is flat, hot, and ugly. My wife says its a soggy sponge floating in pond scum. If you're not into the beach culture (I'm not, wife is), there isn't much to recommend it scenery wise. But its cheap to live here, and is - by some metrics - the freest state in the union. Thank Goddess for Ron DeSantis!

Like hell!
I dunno. When I moved here in 2017, there was an article I read that claimed Florida was #1 in personal freedom. I don't know how they arrived at that number, nor do I know if its still applicable today. All I know is that its SCADS better than Commiefornia which was rated #48.