The great resignation—where is the hired help?

And the very last part of this post rings true to what I was talking about in the original post- We have gotten to the point where we will put up with unbelievable employee behavior just a have help. I have caught myself tolerating things I said I never would - why? Because breach of contract and attorneys can cost you a lot more money than problem workers.

I’m both amazed with all the opportunity in this country that people do not want to take advantage of And the fact that it cost a good bit to live here and we’re having people that don’t even want to work .....for any wage. This is the phenomenon that I’m referring to in the thread.
In a meeting the other day one of the guys that works for me was talking about how this right now is the best time he's ever seen to go out and get a job at a higher level than what you are really qualified for. It was an interesting comment, I now wonder if he's looking?

People don’t want to return to work for peanuts. Nobody wants to pay to train someone to become a good skilled employee that they feel is worth paying a better wage, so you’re kind of stuck in the vicious circle you’re in.

The bigger issue is wages have been stagnant for like 20 years, not just the past few, meanwhile $20 20 years ago spends about like $100 currently. I’m not off base at all, it’s just a lot more systemic and complex than you are thinking it is.

Also I’m not trying to tell you how to run your business, but if you’re getting upset at me asking these basic questions(that have to do with the topic at hand, if nothing more than an example of the issue you’re asking about) then maybe that’s something else to think about.

Have a good day, carry on.
People aren’t returning at even the higher rates- $19 at McDonalds- You would think there would be a run of college students and all sorts of folks all over that but they’re still having to advertise and have a sign up that says please be patient we are shorthanded.

Another interesting topic might be why do I have 12 reliable people when most construction companies have a struggle to get 2-3 to show up? There are some reasons for that - one is I have been very blessed, 2 is we actually pay better than most- most owners want all the profit, we buy all their fuel and help with tires and and maintenance, several guys are furnished specialty vehicles for towing, we pay monday for weekend work and everyone shows up monday ....we have fun and treat people with respect.

Our work is hard mentally and physically , nasty and often unhealthy with silica dust, noise and it is dangerous-

This morning we have 13 active projects- some waiting on inspection, rain to pass, etc.

Back on topic- I’m amazed at the national employment trend. Money seems to not be fixing it. Or is it causing it?

Reactions: Tony P and reddvltj
Go back to the olden days before the invention of "safety nets". Basic human needs shelter and food.

Now it can be magically provided for you by Uncle Sugar. To the point where an employer has to pay an equivalent of $50K a year just to match the benefits. And then you have to show up and work. Not so if you're working Uncle Sugar.

Toss in child tax credits where by virtue of the fact that you reproduced, you get a check out of the treasury even though you never paid a dime in taxes. Wealth distribution is the name of the game.

I grew up in a time where the American dream was to prosper. Now that is shamed. Apparently now it's only to have an all day pajama party while chanting: "tax the rich".

Go back to the olden days before the invention of "safety nets". Basic human needs shelter and food.

Now it can be magically provided for you by Uncle Sugar. To the point where an employer has to pay an equivalent of $50K a year just to match the benefits. And then you have to show up and work. Not so if you're working Uncle Sugar.

Toss in child tax credits where by virtue of the fact that you reproduced, you get a check out of the treasury even though you never paid a dime in taxes. Wealth distribution is the name of the game.

I grew up in a time where the American dream was to prosper. Now that is shamed. Apparently now it's only to have an all day pajama party while chanting: "tax the rich".
He is right- our prosperity is our biggest enemy it seems- people are insulated from lifes’ harshness and dont even have the skills to survive- we can give people anything but necessity

it should be the other way around. The issue y’all aren’t discussing is cost of living has increased rapidly for years while most of the country hasn’t moved on minimum wage in nearly 20 years.

How is that so hard to understand?
Minimum wage is one of the dumbest things ever entrenched upon our country. Why is that so hard to understand?

People aren’t returning at even the higher rates- $19 at McDonalds- You would think there would be a run of college students and all sorts of folks all over that but they’re still having to advertise and have a sign up that says please be patient we are shorthanded.

Another interesting topic might be why do I have 12 reliable people when most construction companies have a struggle to get 2-3 to show up? There are some reasons for that - one is I have been very blessed, 2 is we actually pay better than most- most owners want all the profit, we buy all their fuel and help with tires and and maintenance, several guys are furnished specialty vehicles for towing, we pay monday for weekend work and everyone shows up monday ....we have fun and treat people with respect.

Our work is hard mentally and physically , nasty and often unhealthy with silica dust, noise and it is dangerous-

This morning we have 13 active projects- some waiting on inspection, rain to pass, etc.

Back on topic- I’m amazed at the national employment trend. Money seems to not be fixing it. Or is it causing it?
I'm going to venture to guess just by your comic demeanor that working with and for you would be a blast. You have a positive work environment. This means more than just a wage.

This spring my son went to "fill in" at his godfathers business (small company that makes soffit and gutters) until a replacement could be found. 10 weeks later my son gave him 2 weeks notice because it was apparent that he wasn't going get replaced and he needed to get back to the farm. When my son described what a shit hole operation it was its no wonder they can't retain people.

it should be the other way around. The issue y’all aren’t discussing is cost of living has increased rapidly for years while most of the country hasn’t moved on minimum wage in nearly 20 years.

How is that so hard to understand?
That is a fact- the minimum wage has been way too low too long- and it is a shame it is needed and has a lot of positives and negatives - that law was created to protect workers from sweat shops basically , and I’m generalizing pretty big when i say that.

I hate to pay people pitiful wages honestly- only have 1-2 guys at the lower end- but more money just equals more drugs and more problems for some of these jackwagons.

Reactions: reddvltj
He is right- our prosperity is our biggest enemy it seems- people are insulated from life's’ harshness and don't even have the skills to survive- we can give people anything but necessity
This is just the logical extension of two things I rant about all the time: 1) The Cradle to Grave Nanny State, and 2) The overall effeteness of Americans - too lazy to even roll up their own car windows, etc, etc - smartphones, blah, blah, blah.

Reactions: reddvltj
I'm going to venture to guess just by your comic demeanor that working with and for you would be a blast. You have a positive work environment. This means more than just a wage.

This spring my son went to "fill in" at his godfathers business (small company that makes soffit and gutters) until a replacement could be found. 10 weeks later my son gave him 2 weeks notice because it was apparent that he wasn't going get replaced and he needed to get back to the farm. When my son described what a shit hole operation it was its no wonder they can't retain people.
I agree I think AndyG would be awesome to work for.

People don’t want to return to work for peanuts. Nobody wants to pay to train someone to become a good skilled employee that they feel is worth paying a better wage, so you’re kind of stuck in the vicious circle you’re in.

The bigger issue is wages have been stagnant for like 20 years, not just the past few, meanwhile $20 20 years ago spends about like $100 currently. I’m not off base at all, it’s just a lot more systemic and complex than you are thinking it is.
Stagnant wages are a big part of this issue I think. Most people wont go back to work because even if they do, they can't afford most anything. Meanwhile if they stay home the gov will give them everything for free. Why go back? That's my take on it.

$20/hr won't even allow you to buy a house in most places unless you are working 60-80 hours a week. Why would someone come back into the workforce for work 60-80 hours a week just to afford a house, when they can get shit for free from the gov.

It's only going to get worse, I am pretty certain we past the point of return.