The Hidden Body Lift

I would have recessed the nutserts into the skid and removed the 1/8" shims. Except that I had already replaced the six center skid frame bolts with counter sunk flat heads. Doing both won't work because the new bolts would have bottomed out against the nutserts before clamping the skid plate to the frame. The answer there is to eliminate the nutserts and through bolt the frame with sleeves.

If I were to choose one or the other, I would pick the counter sunk bolts long before recessing the nutserts. The greater value being the smooth surface to ride across.

View attachment 150528

View attachment 150529

View attachment 150527

Is there any advantage to not just opening the hole for the body mount in the C brackets? Cut up a little so the body mount still slips through. Couldn’t you just bolt everything back together like it was before you raised the body mounts?

Is there any advantage to not just opening the hole for the body mount in the C brackets? Cut up a little so the body mount still slips through. Couldn’t you just bolt everything back together like it was before you raised the body mounts?

Assuming it works work the way you describe, it isn't much work to do it the way I did it. Then the end result is much cleaner and the crossmember removal is still easier than before.

The GR mounts also sits partly on top of the frame, so there would be a lot of material to remove from the Savvy C to make the hole large enough.

Assuming it works work the way you describe, it isn't much work to do it the way I did it. Then the end result is much cleaner and the crossmember removal is still easier than before.

I’m missing something here. I’m going to have to walk out to the parking garage and look at mine in person. It would be exactly like “stock savvy” if you just opened up the hole in my head. I might just be afraid of the welder haha

One recommendation I would offer to those considering this. Start with a rigid 1.25" body lift pick like Savvy or Currie. A compressible puck like JKS won't set an even lift height across all the mounts and won't allow you to put the new raised mounts in the right place.

One of these days I'll show ya'll how to raise the 3 under the door up even higher by using the rear body mounts. Then you take a flat head bolt and use it to dimple the bottom mount so the bolt is flush to the bottom of the body mount. If such things matter. ;)

You have my attention. :D

So did you counter-sink these?
If not, what about welding large washers around them to protect the heads?
Not smooth, but a little armor.

20190322_182724copy.jpg

How'd you manage that with the slots? Add a 1/4" bar and countersink that?

Piloted counter sink bit with a brass tube attached to the end to locate the counter sink to the nutsert. Then I finished the job with a router bit in a drill. Crude, but it got the job done.

20190322_113603.jpg

20190322_145926.jpg

If I remember correctly the bottoms can be swapped between the uppers?

Any reason why Jeep made different sized pucks?
No, the bottoms don't swap exactly between the uppers. I use the whole rear mount which lets the body mount welded to the frame move even higher. You can swap the lower onto the upper of the regular side mounts with some tweaks though. To do the countersink, just put the bolt in the mount, set that on a short piece of 1" .120 wall tube and mash it flat with the shop press. Make a perfect countersink to use a flat head bolt.

Reactions: jjvw
No, the bottoms don't swap exactly between the uppers. I use the whole rear mount which lets the body mount welded to the frame move even higher. You can swap the lower onto the upper of the regular side mounts with some tweaks though. To do the countersink, just put the bolt in the mount, set that on a short piece of 1" .120 wall tube and mash it flat with the shop press. Make a perfect countersink to use a flat head bolt.

It'd be nice to have the bolts not hanging below the brackets. Not worth redoing the raised brackets at this point though at least not if I don't mess them up. What tweaks are needed to make the shorts fit the sides in my existing raised mounts? I've got a few extra shorts on the shelf I can swap in and might need to find a few more.

Nice work jjwv. Am a bit curious though as I dont wheel in a terrain that’ll justify the work... but how often does one catch the body mounts in a more rocky terrain? Or was this just the next fruit to pick now that you’ve gotten all the “low hanging” stuff complete?

Nice work jjwv. Am a bit curious though as I dont wheel in a terrain that’ll justify the work... but how often does one catch the body mounts in a more rocky terrain? Or was this just the next fruit to pick now that you’ve gotten all the “low hanging” stuff complete?

That's a loaded question. I have been catching the body mounts in recent years, but not in ways that have stopped me. But at the same time, I am careful with how aggressively I use the factory siders because I don't trust them. I do catch the rear bumper often enough to scar even the newish low profile version I installed last spring. After counter sinking the skid bolts, I immediately wiped over those areas with fresh rock rash. All that being said, 35s would raise everything that much higher than my current 33s.

In the end, I did all this because I wanted to and because I could do it and because I know the side mounts will be valuable in the future once I can really use the sliders. Plus I like the look a lot. 35s are on the short list and real sliders are after that.

It'd be nice to have the bolts not hanging below the brackets. Not worth redoing the raised brackets at this point though at least not if I don't mess them up. What tweaks are needed to make the shorts fit the sides in my existing raised mounts? I've got a few extra shorts on the shelf I can swap in and might need to find a few more.
When you drop one of the tall lowers off and set one of the short ones in its place, it all makes a lot more sense.

Reactions: rasband and toximus