The importance of the REAL tire specs

Rubicon88

TJ Addict
Probably the #1 thing asked on the forum is "how do I run (xyz) inch tires"?

Some just want the big look...some want function...some want both.

I can't stress enough how different tires vary with the ACTUAL specs of said tire...some significantly so.

Two examples that quickly come to mind...

A 33" x12.50 x 15 Goodyear MT/R is actually 32.8" tall. It is in fact 12.50 wide but shy of 33" none the less. Add vehicle weight on a wheel and now slightly less.

A 33" x12.5 x 15 Super swamper TSL is actually 33.7 inches tall and 12.4 wide

A 36" x 12.50 x 15 Super Swamper (same TSL Bias) is 36.3 tall and a whopping 13.6 wide.

Those are just a couple examples but true size truly does matter. Gearing, fitment or both having actual dimensions can mean a lot.

P.s.
Some mfg even have the tire weight listed along with real dimensions

• Face Palm
Reactions: J R
Probably the #1 thing asked on the forum is "how do I run (xyz) inch tires"?

Some just want the big look...some want function...some want both.

I can't stress enough how different tires vary with the ACTUAL specs of said tire...some significantly so.

Two examples that quickly come to mind...

A 33" x12.50 x 15 Goodyear MT/R is actually 32.8" tall. It is in fact 12.50 wide but shy of 33" none the less. Add vehicle weight on a wheel and now slightly less.

A 33" x12.5 x 15 Super swamper TSL is actually 33.7 inches tall and 12.4 wide

A 36" x 12.50 x 15 Super Swamper (same TSL Bias) is 36.3 tall and a whopping 13.6 wide.

Those are just a couple examples but true size truly does matter. Gearing, fitment or both having actual dimensions can mean a lot.

P.s.
Some mfg even have the tire weight listed along with real dimensions
Go find the tiniest ant possible. Pull his little wiener out. The area equal to 1/3 the diameter of his pee hole is easily twice as much as I care.

. . . true size truly does matter. . . .

Okay, we get it, you like Interco tires. Otherwise, what is your point? Most of us are already checking out the published dimensions of the tires we buy before we fork over our money, also weights, revolutions per mile, etc.

Are you an Interco dealer? Do you own stock in the company? You like to jump into every tire discussion and interject the brand even when it isn't particularly germane to the discussion.

Just sayin'.

:)

Which is the better tire for my needs, a short fat 33x12.5 MTR or the taller skinny 33x12.5 Super Swamper?

Reactions: Wildman
200.gif

• Haha
Reactions: jeepguy03 and Chris
true size
I'd say actual size is what matters .... but mostly it's not the tire nominal sizes that cause the drama, it's people not making aggressive decisions on gearing ...like going 4:10 when they need 4:88,etc.

A big deeply treaded tire can lose 1.5- 2" diameter in its life.

Okay, we get it, you like Interco tires. Otherwise, what is your point? Most of us are already checking out the published dimensions of the tires we buy before we fork over our money, also weights, revolutions per mile, etc.

Are you an Interco dealer? Do you own stock in the company? You like to jump into every tire discussion and interject the brand even when it isn't particularly germane to the discussion.

Just sayin'.

:)
Yeah, but TJs don't even have real Dana 44's.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Fonz54 and Wildman
So, we're comparing the actual size of a 33x12.5 with a 36x12.5?

In that case, gearing would make a difference.

The rest is fodder.