Florida The move to Florida is on!

My wife wants us to buy a boat, I pray I can talk her out of it lol. I have owned five boats from 17' to 27' and that's more than enough so far as I am concerned. She only sees being on the water with the kids and grandkids, I only see all the maintenance and upkeep, not to mention the trailer, of which I have always done myself lol. Not to mention all I can see is me getting talked into waterskiing (which I used to do a lot of) and finding myself next to an alligator in the water while she's fumbling with the throttle. :ROFLMAO:

My wife wants us to buy a boat, I pray I can talk her out of it lol. I have owned five boats from 17' to 27' and that's more than enough so far as I am concerned. She only sees being on the water with the kids and grandkids, I only see all the maintenance and upkeep, not to mention the trailer, of which I have always done myself lol. Not to mention all I can see is me getting talked into waterskiing (which I used to do a lot of) and finding myself next to an alligator in the water while she's fumbling with the throttle. :ROFLMAO:

I owned a marina in Ft Myers for years, buying a boat just so you can take the grandkids out in the water, is a mistake. Most people who were not avid boaters and just bought a boat for entertaining family or friends, regretted their purchases.

I got talked into getting a boat and it is a PITA but the memories the kids and grandkids will have will be worth it.

Reactions: BlueC
Or swimming pools.

As I've said many times, there are three things I refuse to have anything whatsoever to do with: Boats, Horses, and Swimming Pools.

Having been born in Florida, I wouldn't live there without a pool. My parents had one for twenty years and the cost of upkeep was actually low. There was a time commitment, but they were retired and enjoyed the routine of cleaning the pool. I would travel down there regularly and use the pool 9 months a year.

Reactions: Blondie70
Having been born in Florida, I wouldn't live there without a pool. My parents had one for twenty years and the cost of upkeep was actually low. There was a time commitment, but they were retired and enjoyed the routine of cleaning the pool. I would travel down there regularly and use the pool 9 months a year.

dbc24de68eb2864d5c061e1ee926b6f2.gif

Like most things in life, it's likely cheaper to rent.

yep we bought a cheap 17' boat to use in PA, used it for a total of 3.5 hours in a year and a half. Sold it for more than we paid. It is just too easy to plunk down $400 for 6 hours on a 23' pontoon boat rental and toss the keys back when done.

You can keep it. Between maintenance, water and electrical costs they're expensive - and that's not counting repairs! And just a huge hassle to deal with, the swim spa we bought is expensive and hassle enough. No thank you...

Its REAL easy - well, maybe not easy, but complete doable. The word is "NO". My wife goes on about boats on a fairly regular basis. I told her, "Nothing is stopping you from buying and maintaining one yourself." She drops the subject quickly. She has yet to even rent one even though I told her to do so, there are several bare boat rental outfits in the area. The best boat to go out on is SOMEBODY ELSE'S!

I worked in a marine field for 23 years, all desire for a boat got worked out of me in that time. I'm now like the legendary sailor who walked inland with an oar over his shoulder. When he got far enough that someone asked him "What's that?", that was where he settled down! I can't imagine anything more boring than being on a boat - add the intense Florida sun and its a non-starter.

Its REAL easy - well, maybe not easy, but complete doable. The word is "NO". My wife goes on about boats on a fairly regular basis. I told her, "Nothing is stopping you from buying and maintaining one yourself." She drops the subject quickly. She has yet to even rent one even though I told her to do so, there are several bare boat rental outfits in the area. The best boat to go out on is SOMEBODY ELSE'S!

I worked in a marine field for 23 years, all desire for a boat got worked out of me in that time. I'm now like the legendary sailor who walked inland with an oar over his shoulder. When he got far enough that someone asked him "What's that?", that was where he settled down! I can't imagine anything more boring than being on a boat - add the intense Florida sun and its a non-starter.

Reminds me of

Mister Richard Fedder you sound like a real fun guy. (Gilda Radner doing Rosanna Danna on Saturday night live back when it was funny.)

I live on the lake in the summer so I kind of have to have a boat. If I lived in Florida I couldn't do without a pool in the backyard. There is more to life than yelling at people to stay off my lawn.

• Haha
Reactions: Farmergreg
Reminds me of

Mister Richard Fedder you sound like a real fun guy. (Gilda Radner doing Rosanna Danna on Saturday night live back when it was funny.)

I live on the lake in the summer so I kind of have to have a boat. If I lived in Florida I couldn't do without a pool in the backyard. There is more to life than yelling at people to stay off my lawn.
That's fine - if you like boats and pools, they're there for you. Like Jerry, I just see the hassle and expense. I've been in the swim spa maybe 3 times since we bought it - always at nite. I won't swim in the daytime. A boat on a lake with an interesting shoreline might be fun. Expensive, but fun. Otherwise, its just boring.

There is nothing boring about boating.

If it isn't boring, its a crisis.

Another thing I've found: Recreational boaters are very annoying to be around. When I was an RV owner, I got to where I wouldn't camp at lakes or other places where boaters congregate. Bunch of loud, obnoxious drunks.

I’ve got three boats - kayaks. Low maintenance.

I live in SW WA about an hour north of Portland. But this week I’m down here in Florida visiting my 91 y.o. parents in Lake Helen (close to Daytona Beach). Dad has bad dementia, Mom’s sharp as a tack. Got my list of chores for while I’m here. It is hot and humid - thundering out starting to rain. 60 degrees and sunny back home as I’m typing this.

I have good memories of canoeing down the Wekiva River. I grew up in Altamonte Springs. UCF graduate.

Lots of folks have the boating fantasy. Cheaper in the long run to rent especially if you have to trailer a ways to get to the water.