The TJ Fest 2021 weather thread

InOmaha

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Hopefully, we'll have better weather for you guys traveling through on I-80 by mid week.

This is the interstate today a nice band of snow, rain, and ice from Chicago area to Wyoming.

Screenshot_20210419-130245_Radar X.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: Apparition
The weather can be a little nutty this time of year & change day in UT, so keep up on the forecast! Last time we went we took off in the morning for a nice ride, about halfway through the skies darkened up & we watched a major storm pop up off in the distance (not in the forecast).

Also flash floods are a very real thing in this part of the country, the ground doesn't do a great job of soaking up the rain so it just pools up in spots & eventually finds a way downhill.

It's still snowing here. Just barely snow, nothing sticking. It was 65 yesterday at the house. The wind forecast here is 12-13 mph daytime and half those speeds at night. So not too bad.

The state isnt as flat overall as where they built the interstate. The interstate curves and follows the Platte River to North Platte, NE. That way they avoided the sand hills up north.

Some areas will be so flat you can see forever. But it's not Florida flat. Most likely you'll see the ass end of a semi trailer all the way. It's a stupid busy section of road.

The elevation changes from ~1000ft to ~4500 ft east to west. So you'll be going uphill 2 ft per mile. It won't feel like you are climbing at all. Coming back from Colorado is almost always easier because it's downhill and winds push you.

When we go to Breckinridge, the sugar plant in Fort Morgan reeks. When we go to Estes Park, Greely reeks of cow shit. Eastern CO is flat and looks dead everywhere all the times we've gone through.

When we go to Breckinridge, the sugar plant in Fort Morgan reeks. When we go to Estes Park, Greely reeks of cow shit. Eastern CO is flat and looks dead everywhere all the times we've gone through.
I grew up in a small town with both a sugar factory and a feedlot. Everyone always complained of the smell when visiting:sick:

It's still snowing here. Just barely snow, nothing sticking. It was 65 yesterday at the house. The wind forecast here is 12-13 mph daytime and half those speeds at night. So not too bad.

The state isnt as flat overall as where they built the interstate. The interstate curves and follows the Platte River to North Platte, NE. That way they avoided the sand hills up north.

Some areas will be so flat you can see forever. But it's not Florida flat. Most likely you'll see the ass end of a semi trailer all the way. It's a stupid busy section of road.

The elevation changes from ~1000ft to ~4500 ft east to west. So you'll be going uphill 2 ft per mile. It won't feel like you are climbing at all. Coming back from Colorado is almost always easier because it's downhill and winds push you.

Basically past Omaha (maybe Lincoln) westbound is pretty tough for different reasons. Eastern CO is pretty rough, then you hit the Denver area and it's pretty okay once you get over the recent traffic spikes (I guess, pre-covid). Once you hit Omaha (/the Iowa border) eastbound you hit some pretty rolling hills with classic farm views and big skies, which makes the drive back east fairly pleasant again for a while :).

Every spring when I first mow the grass, it reminds me of getting out of school and butchering chickens. We butchered a couple hundred with several families. Spring in the air. I carve a mean turkey.