The unfortunate TJ of the day thread

<thread_derailment_rant>

Two things you likely could have done with image editing software yourself in a short period of time. Learn a new skill if you don't know how. Too busy (or something else?), get a friend/family member with the skill set to do it.

I'm sorry, but your reasons sound akin to those used by people to justify willfully placing an active listening device in the privacy of their own homes (Alexa) or having a car that monitors them via multiple internal microphones and cameras (Tesla) for safety reasons. I mean, abuse of that tech hasn't been demonstrated...oh...wait... ;)

Maybe ask yourself some questions. How have we managed to survive to this point, to live happy and productive lives without these things? Are they really that helpful and convenient? Or have we just become more lazy and complacent? And even if the argument could be made that they are helpful and convenient in some way, are these supposed gains worth what you are potentially giving up?

At the risk of sounding a Luddite, while I accept these technologies could be used for good purposes, a quick review of human history surely would indicate they will most definitely be abused by others, and to everyone's cost whether they use it or not. AI is not being developed for your benefit, it's just being sold to you that way and all you see is the benign face of it...but I have little doubt you and others here will disagree.

Opinions vary and everyone has them, informed opinions are another matter entirely. Not trying to give you shit, just asking you to think. :)

</thread_derailment_rant>

An unfortunate TJ:

View attachment 510093

I actually like this TJ ( minus the stinger ) how bad is it when you measure T-case clearance in feet ! And road grader like tire coverage isn't different than many TJ's on the Forum , plus it's a 4 no door .

@chili_pepper — you're forgetting on thing. "Its oh-so-CONVENIENT!" People will sacrifice their 1st born child on the altar of this latter day false God. Convenience has its price - even when it actually *is* convenient, it oftentimes really isn't.

I see people waiting 15 cars deep at the McDonalds drive thru, when there's no customers in the store. So convenient aka lazy. :unsure:

I actually like this TJ ( minus the stinger ) how bad is it when you measure T-case clearance in feet ! And road grader like tire coverage isn't different than many TJ's on the Forum , plus it's a 4 no door .

I figured someone would (and you likely aren't alone), and to be fair I don't have a particular problem with it. Having said that, I think the unfortunate part is that I feel it has very limited use as configured, but that use is probably exactly what the builders were going for. I know many here use their Jeeps mainly for fun and there's nothing wrong with that, they're obviously well suited for the task. They also make a good base point for a build to suit almost any purpose one wants to fulfill. Personally, I've always revered them as a sort of all purpose utility vehicle which, coincidentally, is kind of how they were marketed to the public post-WW2. The original sport ute before SUV's were a thing.

But that stinger (didn't know that's what they're called) is a bit shit. :sneaky:

Last edited:
I see people waiting 15 cars deep at the McDonalds drive thru, when there's no customers in the store. So convenient aka lazy. :unsure:

Funny, I've noticed something similar with self-checkouts at the grocery. I've gone in, noted certain people in line waiting at the self-checkout, gotten my items, strolled up to a manned checkout, paid and left the store...and those same people are still waiting in line for a self-checkout to open up. I could be wrong but I feel like the convenience is lost when it takes longer, but they seemed to be programmed and oblivious as a result.

Personally, I always go for a manned checkout. Doing so keeps more people employed and they're not giving me a discount for doing the extra work I'm now doing and the money they allegedly save by having them. Last time I checked, I was a patron not an employee.

*language warning*

Last edited:
And we make fun of angry eyes...

Screenshot_20240317_150617_Reddit.jpg

Funny, I've noticed something similar with self-checkouts at the grocery. I've gone in, noted certain people in line waiting at the self-checkout, gotten my items, strolled up to a manned checkout, paid and left the store...and those same people are still waiting in line for a self-checkout to open up. I could be wrong but I feel like the convenience is lost when it takes longer, but they seemed to be programmed and oblivious as a result.

Personally, I always go for a manned checkout. Doing so keeps more people employed and they're not giving me a discount for doing the extra work I'm now doing and the money they allegedly save by having them. Last time I checked, I was a patron not an employee.

*language warning*

I only use self checkout if there's no line and/or I only have a few items. None of the self checkouts around here have the room for items that a manned checkout station does. Have to scan items straight from the cart and then you only have room for maybe 4 bags of items. That's absolutely ridiculous to me if you have 8 self checkouts, 8 manned checkouts, but only open one or two manned checkouts. Plus, like you said... At no point have I ever received the employee discount or benefits while ringing up my own items.

I could have written this. I avoid self-checkout unless I only have an item or two AND there's a self checkout available. Another trick I've used at Mal*Wart - and Homeless Despot too - is to checkout and exit through the garden center - oftentimes there's few to no customers checking out there, yet the main store is a Charlie Foxtrot.

Alright It looks like I turned this thread into hate for electronic BS which I am proud to be a part of but when I screenshotted and posted that WTDuck Jeep I was on my supposedly-smart phone and being so small (compared to the monitor that I'm on right now) I didn't notice the fakeness of the picture.

I certainly don't doubt that the AI masters know how little screens give stupid shit a better chance of flowing onto the general public.

Alright It looks like I turned this thread into hate for electronic BS which I am proud to be a part of but when I screenshotted and posted that WTDuck Jeep I was on my supposedly-smart phone and being so small (compared to the monitor that I'm on right now) I didn't notice the fakeness of the picture.

I certainly don't doubt that the AI masters know how little screens give stupid shit a better chance of flowing onto the general public.

It may indeed have been AI but I'm almost 100% sure someone has posted a similar picture of a TJ covered in ducks in this thread before.

Few things get my blood boiling. Having to check out my stuff and then pay todo so, is one of those things that pisses me off. Imagine I charged a client an asset management fee on their portfolio and then told them, you have to pick out and purchase the investments your self.. How long would I be in business?

....checkout and exit through the garden center - oftentimes there's few to no customers checking out there, yet the main store is a Charlie Foxtrot.
Same here.

I do prefer to check out and have a short, but pleasurable conversation with a human rather than check out myself and than spend my time searching the check-out inventory list to find the right color of grapes and then have listen to the machine bark at me and everyone around me, to FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTION ON THE PIN PAD. Then I have to pay for the bag?

Can't lie, I have been an early adopter of technology and do make use of it often. There's no way around some of it. But some of it is pure laziness. We have a Chick Filet near me that twenty or thirty cars lined up at the take out every day. How is that more convenient? Joe Pesce had it right....

Reactions: chili_pepper