The Usual Rear Shock Problems

I know ya'll think my commentary is a bit of a stretch at times and it is likely I haven't really removed 100's without issue. Here is a pic of the ones we've saved. We quit saving them years ago because I have this many and at least double this many that haven't been sorted out. The only reason there is this many is the bin I store them in holds that amount. If it was smaller, I'd have fewer, if it was larger, I'd have more. We don't use them for much else so no reason to keep more.

View attachment 269486

Mine didn't even look as rusty as those. I emptied a can of liquid wrench onto the nuts over the course of a month or so. All four snapped.

Luck of the draw I guess.

Ok, the bitches are out. Thanx to @mrblaine 's advice about shifting the shock over a bit. The two passenger side bolts broke off, the two driver's side came out. Given the choice, I'm glad it happened that way as there's a bit more room on the passenger side to deal with the broken bolts.

Ok, the bitches are out. Thanx to @mrblaine 's advice about shifting the shock over a bit. The two passenger side bolts broke off, the two driver's side came out. Given the choice, I'm glad it happened that way as there's a bit more room on the passenger side to deal with the broken bolts.
Sweet!
Your making progress on a multiple front war !
Coolant loss - check !
Shock removal - check !
Engine oil loss - check !
Door sill paint wear - check !

Now get those damn bolts addressed and replace them OEM shocks with some sweet Rough Country Shocks. ;)

Oh by the way Zorba , get this crap done so you can work on something " Fun " like the rear bumper project !
Before we are ALL too old to see what the finished product looks like on a computer screen !!!!!:ROFLMAO:

Sweet!
Your making progress on a multiple front war !
Coolant loss - check !
Shock removal - check !
Engine oil loss - check !
Door sill paint wear - check !

Now get those damn bolts addressed and replace them OEM shocks with some sweet Rough Country Shocks. ;)

Oh by the way Zorba , get this crap done so you can work on something " Fun " like the rear bumper project !
Before we are ALL too old to see what the finished product looks like on a computer screen !!!!!:ROFLMAO:
Naw, got me some Ranchos - for better or worse:
3db.jpg

Not sure how I'm going to deal with the two broken bolts as yet - will just try the various things until something works - then I'll have to prime/paint before mounting the shocks.

Drove the jeep off the end of my driveway just to see what it would do without any shocks whatsoever. BOINGA-BOINGA!! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: ColoJeep
replace them OEM shocks with some sweet Rough Country Shocks.
In the words of Foghorn , " It's a joke son , a funny ".:LOL:
Glad you went with the Ranchos. When did they go with Red paint ? When you say Rancho I think White !

In the words of Foghorn , " It's a joke son , a funny ".:LOL:
Glad you went with the Ranchos. When did they go with Red paint ? When you say Rancho I think White !
Everybody here sez the Ranchos have shitty paint and to paint them before installation. I had the red paint on hand, it matches the Jeep and the boots, so on it went! Oh, and thanx fer the clue! ;)

Yea, I was using a long extension - what I don't have is a "thin" socket. Edumacate me - where/how do I obtain one?

And - this is going to sound really stupid - but how do you even GET TO the broken stud to drill it? I have several electric drills - each one larger than the previous one...
Snap-on

It took me all fookin' day, but one of the two broken bolts and its associated nut has been taken care of. It involved using the largest Dremel cut-off wheel I could find (1-1/2"), two 12 inch long drill bits, two regular length drill bits, a custom made 15 inch long 1/2" tapered drift with a BFH, and an extensive vocabulary! And thank Goddess I have a drill bit sharpener - the hole eventually got out of round and killed drill bits fast. I'd just sharpen and continue. Best thing ever invented.

Tomorrow (presumably) I'll move on to the other one.

Reactions: deadbeat son
It took me all fookin' day, but one of the two broken bolts and its associated nut has been taken care of. It involved using the largest Dremel cut-off wheel I could find (1-1/2"), two 12 inch long drill bits, two regular length drill bits, a custom made 15 inch long 1/2" tapered drift with a BFH, and an extensive vocabulary! And thank Goddess I have a drill bit sharpener - the hole eventually got out of round and killed drill bits fast. I'd just sharpen and continue. Best thing ever invented.

Makes me glad I paid my mechanic the $150 to drill out and tap all four rear shock bolts and install the new shocks. Been in the 90's here with the usual high humidity.

Next time fly me down. I'll be more than happy to help you work on your Jeep.

Reactions: Zorba
I can't understand it. I removed my rear shock bolts without needing to pre-spray with Kroil or anything else. I'd have thought that they'd be rusted in solid here on the SoCal coast. Nobody must have told the bolts.
SoCal is nothing compared to what we deal with on the East Coast. The Northern rust belt is the worst. You're lucky to not deal with the crap we see. Rust sucks!

Good news !
Hang in there !
I don't have a bit sharpener , just used a grinder , but half the bit comes out perfect and the other side
not so much:rolleyes:. At times I bet you felt " inspired " to use the BFH a little harder than necessary !
You're almost there , you will feel great when this has been accomplished and the situation can move from
present struggle to bench wrenching , " There was this one time changing rear shocks... " :D

Good news !
Hang in there !
I don't have a bit sharpener , just used a grinder , but half the bit comes out perfect and the other side not so much:rolleyes:. At times I bet you felt " inspired " to use the BFH a little harder than necessary !
You're almost there , you will feel great when this has been accomplished and the situation can move from present struggle to bench wrenching , " There was this one time changing rear shocks... " :D
Yea guys better than I am know how to use a grinder to sharpen drill bits - I've watched machinists do it and they're fast and accurate. That ain't me. The bit sharpener is fantastic! With that said, if I could turn the Jeep on its side for this job, I could use a sledge hammer and go all "Tony Beets" on the thing and not have to drill/grind nearly as much! If wishes were fishes - might as well wish the Jeep would fix itself!

Last edited:
Reactions: zebra12
Love reading this thread. Just replaced the front 2 shocks myself, easy peasy. Then snapped the first upper shock bolt in the rear that I tried. Crap. So I'm stopping there, gonna leave it to a professional to take care of the rears. Best laid plans...

My plans for tomorrow included replacing the rear shocks. I saw this thread and now I’m worried I’m going to make a mess of it. $150 to have a pro do it sounds like a good deal. But I’ll be disappointed in myself if I don’t get through it.

Grrr.

Reactions: John Cooper