The wave

I'm getting used to it, slowly. Only put around 1,500 miles on the TJ, so far. However I've ridden Harley's for 30+ years and we have the low wave for those, and I get the Muscle car wave with my GTO. With my Silverado, I'm left alone.

Reactions: TJ Starting
How long does anyone wait before making the first move? A few seconds and opportunities are passed.... :rolleyes:
Opportunities that can go either way...initiate and be welcomed with a return wave with a dose of TJ pride or continue the wave motion all the way through to smoothing out your hair when they don't reciprocate, lol, so it was never a wave in the first place and hope nobody calls you out on it.

I’ve got a coworker who’s about to retire and he bought a JL to pull behind his RV. Leading up to the purchase he was asking questions about wranglers in general to learn as much as he could prior to making a purchase.
At some point I had told him about the wave during our conversation and soon after he made his purchase. The next day he was telling me about how people in other Jeeps were waving at him as he drove home from the dealership and at first he was confused. He thought, why in the hell are these people waving at me? Then he remembered our conversation. Oh yeah, the Jeep wave!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: Kiwi TJ
It is interesting to see those who wave vs. those who don't. If I spot a Jeep coming toward me from a little distance it gives me an opportunity to size the driver up. A lift, big tires or any other indication the Jeep is just more than a grocery getter or soccer mom transport usually ends in both waving. If the vehicle approaching is a new model Jeep with a harried looking driver, nothing usually happens. I've gotten pretty good at spotting wavers vs. non wavers. I live in a semi rural area with plenty of back roads so the Wave is alive and well.

Hey @AndyG !
forrestwave.gif

Lol!

When I am in the mountains I get more waves from JK owners than I do around town. That being said I almost always get the wave from TJ, YJ, and CJ owners in town or in the mountains.

Reactions: Alex01
remember JKs and JLs are supposed to initiate the Wave!

The Jeep Wave Hierarchy

If you thought the Jeep Wave was just about a wave, then you thought wrong. In addition to the Jeep Wave, there is also a Jeep Wave Hierarchy. The Jeep Wave Hierarchy is based on a scoring system with three categories. The first category is based on the vehicle itself. This takes into account the nostalgia factor, the discomfort tolerance quotient, and the amount of owner dedication required to maintain the Jeep. For example, CJ models will rank higher than TJ’s or Cherokee’s.

The next category is based on what you do with your Jeep. Do you have your Jeeps top on or off? Is your Jeep covered in mud or sparkling clean? More points are scored for the dirtier your Jeep is and less protected the Jeep occupants are from the elements. Points may be subtracted for Jeeps which are sparkling clean and look brand-new.

The rest of the categories are based on equipment adjustments that you’ve done to your Jeep. Have you made any changes to the engine? Added any new tires or raised your Jeep farther off the ground? Does your Jeep have any additional accessories such as a snorkel or winch? This category is meant to separate the hardcore Jeepers that spend their weekend's rock crawling from the daily driver Jeeps.

The higher your score, the higher you are in the Jeep Wave Hierarchy. Typically a Jeep with a lower score is required to initiate the Jeep Wave, however, it is usually impossible to calculate another driver’s Jeep score in only a few seconds. What matters most is not how high your score is, or whether or not your Jeep is a daily driver or traversing the steepest mountains, it’s to be part of the Jeep family. And that is what the Jeep Wave is all about.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/jeep-wave-calculator

When I am in the mountains I get more waves from JK owners than I do around town. That being said I almost always get the wave from TJ, YJ, and CJ owners in town or in the mountains.
Yes, agree.
Also most of the unmodified/stock jeeps don’t wave. Maybe they just drive a Jeep and haven’t embraced the Jeep lifestyle yet.....:p