The wife hates the doors being off

When people ask me if I'm afraid of falling out of my Jeep with the doors off, I tell them that I almost never fall off my couch and, with the exception of the occasional barstool, I also almost never fall out of a chair. I'm pretty good at sitting...maybe you can try explaining it to her in those terms.😁

My wife is actually good with the doors off, she just hates having to tie her hair up and/or wear a hat. My boys, on the other hand, love the open Jeep.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
My wife is actually good with the doors off, she just hates having to tie her hair up and/or wear a hat.
I got my wife one of these:
1718500863957.png

Thanks all. I stopped and got some decorative bolts to put in the vacant bolt holes in the doors.
After driving it this evening I’m almost wondering if the brackets to relocate the factory mirrors would be better. I noticed a good amount of whistling coming off the door off mirrors that I’ve got installed.
Is this normal for the $40 mirrors?
Thanks again
John

In all seriousness I bought my jeep thinking offroading would be a great family activity. First and only time the wife and kids were terrified and screaming in my ear the whole day. Very unnerving. So, since then, Just like the George Thorogood song I Drink Alone, just substitute Drink with Drive.

That’s been true for a lot of us- I don’t think my wife will even ride to the end of the driveway with me anymore.

Most side by side enthusiast find out the only person that is having fun is the driver and everyone else is holding on for dear life. Praying they don’t get killed and being slapped by tree limbs.….

Thanks all. I stopped and got some decorative bolts to put in the vacant bolt holes in the doors.
After driving it this evening I’m almost wondering if the brackets to relocate the factory mirrors would be better. I noticed a good amount of whistling coming off the door off mirrors that I’ve got installed.
Is this normal for the $40 mirrors?
Thanks again
John

The relo bracket on the pass side moves it forward enough to be almost unuseable. But if you need all three mirrors to be legal it will do it for you. I haven't had side mirrors in a couple years when the doors are off and don't need them.but i should rig up a drivers side mirror so i meet the two mirror minimum in my state

Keep her door on and yours off. Compromise ;)

That’s what I was going to say. 🤣

My wife was really Leary about it too, especially if in an area of a lot of traffic. She was more at easy out on some back roads. Over time she’s gotten more used to it, but honestly, I don’t have the doors off too much throughout the year. Usually for a little while in the spring and fall.

Half doors are a nice compromise though.

My wife hates doors off at any speed more than none. So be it. She doesn't go in the Jeep any more.. She has her own ride.

The entry cost for half doors can be staggering if you don't have an abundance of patience waiting for a good deal. I lost track of how much I spent on buying and refinishing the half doors. If you're not going to run them full time, or at least seasonally, I would go for tube doors and ease her into it. Or, out... whatever works.

I ran A-Pillar mirrors full time for a few years. Works fine. No whistling and no swapping mirrors back and forth when the doors came off. Used these simple push in trim buttons... and no mirrors on the doors

2022-03-26 mirror plugs 03.jpg

But when I switched to half doors the soft uppers hit the a-pillar bracket so the mirrors had to go. Switched to late model stock mirrors on both sets of doors and the mirrors that screw onto the CMM grab handles when the doors are off.

Last edited:
My wife hates doors off at any speed more than none. So be it. She doesn't go in the Jeep any more.. She has her own ride.

The entry cost for half doors can be staggering if you don't have an abundance of patience waiting for a good deal. I lost track of how much I spent on buying and refinishing the half doors. If you're not going to run them full time, or at least seasonally, I would go for tube doors and ease her into it. Or, out... whatever works.

I ran A-Pillar mirrors full time for a few years. Works fine. No whistling and no swapping mirrors back and forth when the doors came off. Used these simple push in trim buttons... and no mirrors on the doors

View attachment 534805

But when I switched to half doors the soft uppers hit the a-pillar bracket so the mirrors had to go. Switched to late model stock mirrors on both sets of doors and the mirrors that screw onto the CMM grab handles when the doors are off.

View attachment 534805

Thanks Mike. That looks great. I think that’s the route I’m going to go with my half doors to keep everyone happy.

My wife wanted me to leave the passenger side step on my old 03' so she could climb in easier. My response to her was........
View attachment 534813

First I just saw the pic and was like - dude, nice rig then saw it was yours. Come down here and teach me how to make mine like as good man.

• Haha
Reactions: TheBoogieman