There needs to be a safety recall

jeep_boss

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I almost hit two people yesterday at a crosswalk at the busy Alki Beach in West Seattle. They were very nearly hit and sandwiched between my steel bumper and the Chevy sedan in front of me. Luckily for them, when my RPMs surged like a possessed demon I remebered to put my Jeep in neutral a few milliseconds before it was too late. The Jeep revved to 3K RPMs as they were stunned in front of me, as if I were doing this myself, very akward, and VER dangerous.

I had thought my vacuum leak issues were nixed - I guess I was wrong. I see some premature signs of wear on the new elbow going to my cruise control, we'll see whether or not that's it. If it is something to do with thit vacuum lines between the firewall and the HVAC controls, I'm going to be very pissed and the Jeep dealer will likely need to call the police to prevent me from strangling someone behind the counter.

Safety recalls only happen when there's a common problem that is affecting a huge number of vehicles. In 22 years of frequenting Jeep related news groups and forums, I've never seen anyone report the exact same issue you are complaining about.

Last edited:
Safety recalls only happen when there's a common problem that is affecting a huge number of vehicles. In 22 years of frequenting Jeep related news groups and forums, I've never seen anyone report the same issue you had.

To further Jerry's comments, I will steal a quote from one of personal highly rated movies:

A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.

To further Jerry's comments, I will steal a quote from one of personal highly rated movies:

A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.

Well done following the first and second rules..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was from a movie I can’t remember which at the moment.

Safety recalls only happen when there's a common problem that is affecting a huge number of vehicles. In 22 years of frequenting Jeep related news groups and forums, I've never seen anyone report the same issue you had.
That's funny, because I have seen at least a dozen or more identical accounts directly related to vacuum leaks.

That's funny, because I have seen at least a dozen or more identical accounts directly related to vacuum leaks.
Could you do the rest of us Jeep owners a favor and provide some documentation that supports the true cause of the issue you, and it seems some others, have had? I try not to prejudice my views without having some solid substantiation of what might truly warrant a recall, or even provide some concern that all of us may want to check for on our personal vehicles. I also would not want to create the impression that the issue was a "fluke" and not applicable to many thousands of the millions of Jeeps that are out there.

I'm having a difficult time perceiving the possibility of a safety recall or even a TSB concerning vacuum leaks involving a relatively small number of vehicles from a model run that has been out of production for 12 years.

Old vacuum lines tend to develop leaks, sometimes in the most difficult to trace locations.

Sorry for your troubles. Hope you find a solution soon.

Being no stranger to the symptom and the root cause, I had fixed the issue when I drove it home shortly after almost hitting the pedestrians. We had a hot weather streak recently, the end of the new vacuum line that connects to the intake manifold that was initially nice and tight was no longer snug. I threw on a hose clamp, which resolved the problem (again).

My point in ranting this thread is simple - a loose vacuum line can cause some Jeeps to manipulate engine power. This can be an incredibly dangerous situation, especially if the vehicle is in motion, the operator is not prepared with quick mitigation. Myself and several others on the Internet have experienced very dangerous situations with the engine taking on a life of its own at random times (search the Internet for Jeep engine rpms surge vacuum leak). I am fortunate in that I was able to reproduce the problem consistently, by (1) operating my Jeep under cruise control breifly, then turning it off - which would exacerbate the problem very quickly or (2) run the HBAC system - which would also exacerbate the problem very quickly. What did these two components have in common? They share a common vacuum line.

Before I had replaced the entire (engine side) vacuum assembly, my Jeep would climb to as high as 3300 RPMs, once the tach had crossed ~2200 RPMs under normal vehicle operation. The only way that I could quickly mitigate the problem was to shift into neutral and press the accelerator down a couple of times to raise the RPMs over ~400-4500, the engine would them typically settle right back down to idle RPMs.

Again, this is a rant - highly unlikely the manufacturer would acrually do a recall, much less admit there being such a problem. This dangerous shit design component had almost killed me and others, so I have earned the right to bitch about it publicly. End of story.

Again, this is a rant - highly unlikely the manufacturer would acrually do a recall, much less admit there being such a problem. This dangerous shit design component had almost killed me and others, so I have earned the right to bitch about it publicly. End of story.

Totally understand your rant... Have you already replaced throttle body tps sensor?

You're complaining about an issue with a 20 year old vehicle. Is the issue a design flaw, operator error, or a symptom of lack of maintenance?

I bet it says in the manual you need to maintain and service your emissions system at certain intervals. Have you completed all the recommended service per the manufacturer's specifications exactly by the book for the last 20 years?

Right.

Next!

You're complaining about an issue with a 20 year old vehicle. Is the issue a design flaw, operator error, or a symptom of lack of maintenance?

I bet it says in the manual you need to maintain and service your emissions system at certain intervals. Have you completed all the recommended service per the manufacturer's specifications exactly by the book for the last 20 years?

Right.

Next!
Since when was 2005 a 20 year old vehicle smart guy?

Mine is 20 years old. No one cares. It's the same vehicle. So the one in question is 14 years old? Who cares. The EXACT same questions apply. Bet they can't be answered affirmatively.
The design flaw has ZERO to do with vehicle age. There have been accounts of accidents relating to this issue on vehicles that were only a couple of years old.

I honestly expected guys like yourself to reply as you did (and the subsequent likes of your replies). I hope you get to experience this defect first hand, I doubt it would be a big deal to you judging by your responses though.