Thermostat housing replacement

Fortzen1305

I'm about to start doing the cooling system overhaul. My question is if it's worth it to replace my thermostat housing or not. I'm planning on new water pump, radiator, stat, upper and lower rad hoses. But when it comes to the thermostat housing I'm just unsure if it's worth replacing. Thoughts would be appreciated.

I have replaced the thermostat/thermostat housing/thermostat sensor, new radiator hoses and the Jeep is running hot??????could it be a bad thermostat?water pump ? Or gauge

Is this an old problem that you were trying to fix with new parts or is it running hot now that you've changed them? If you literally just put on the new parts & it's running hot after you've filled the system I'd make sure you don't have any trapped air.

Reactions: Irun
could it be a bad thermostat?water pump ? Or gauge
Short answer, Yes.

What thermostat did you use to replace? Stant is all you are interested in.
If it's the water pump, start the Jeep, turn on the heater, when it reaches 210 the upper radiator hose should suddenly get hot (an indication the water pump is working). If you need to replace the pump, I'd go with this Chrysler/Mopar.

Reactions: Rygrego and Irun
Is this an old problem that you were trying to fix with new parts or is it running hot now that you've changed them? If you literally just put on the new parts & it's running hot after you've filled the system I'd make sure you don't have any trapped air.
I was think that as well, I did not have this problem before, only after the new parts were put on, how do you get rid of the air pockets……

I was think that as well, I did not have this problem before, only after the new parts were put on, how do you get rid of the air pockets……
with the engine cool, remove the radiator cap, crank the car, let it run for a bit, squeeze the radiator hose, you want all the bubbles in the system to come up and go out the top of the radiator. You may need to do this 2-3 times. If you’re still overheating, maybe your thermostat is not properly placed under the housing. There is supposed to be a small hole at the top, near the edge. Some thermostats don’t have one and you need to drill one. 1/16” hole if fine. Oriented at the top. The pic below has the hole with a small brass plug where the hole is.

1634080956926.jpeg