Third brake light wiring harness

Just looking at 3rd brake light options. PO had one in the hitch. I got rid of the shittybilt rear tire carrier bumper and put on a Metalcloak slim bumper. Ran without a spare for a while. Bought a stock spare tire carrier and put my spare back on so…

IMG_2020.jpeg

IMG_0248.jpeg

The factory spare tire carrier is not strong enough for that big of a tire. I'll find the wiring harness part # tomorrow Sunday. If I don't post it by mid afternoon send me a reminder.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
The factory spare tire carrier is not strong enough for that big of a tire. I'll find the wiring harness part # tomorrow Sunday. If I don't post it by mid afternoon send me a reminder.

Thank you Jerry. IFIRC the capacity of the spare tire carrier is 70#. I am at 71. Not ideal but not terrible.

Edit: Woops. Just rechecked my specs. I am at 83#. Hmmmm

Last edited:
Reactions: CreepinDeth
Thank you Jerry. IFIRC the capacity of the spare tire carrier is 70#. I am at 71. Not ideal but not terrible.

Edit: Woops. Just rechecked my specs. I am at 83#. Hmmmm
My 33" spare on an aluminum wheel cracked my factory spare tire carrier, yours looks like a 35". And I'm sorry but 30 minutes in the 1998 Mopar parts guide for the 3rd brake light wiring harness p/n produced nothing. It must just split off the main harness.

While the stock tire carrier might be rated for XXX as Jerry was trying to point out anything larger than a stock tire & wheel will stress the tailgate and hinges.
If you want a tailgate mounted spare your best bet is to get the MorRyde tailgate reinforcement kit or similar products.

https://www.morryde.com/products/tailgate-reinforcement-kit-2/

There are other brands available but don't cheap out on this or it will cost you more in the long run.

Is there an OEM or superior gate hinge replacement??

Mine are a wee bit weathered, but not terrible
Everything I found on Amazon appears to be cheap steel and hardware, and unworthy

Is there an OEM or superior gate hinge replacement??

Mine are a wee bit weathered, but not terrible
Everything I found on Amazon appears to be cheap steel and hardware, and unworthy

https://www.morryde.com/products/heavy-duty-jeep-tj-tailgate-hinge/

I bought some of the cheaper ones off Ebay and so far they seem OK. My old hinges you had to use two hands and LOT of force to open or close it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3138201336...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
While the stock tire carrier might be rated for XXX as Jerry was trying to point out anything larger than a stock tire & wheel will stress the tailgate and hinges.
If you want a tailgate mounted spare your best bet is to get the MorRyde tailgate reinforcement kit or similar products.

https://www.morryde.com/products/tailgate-reinforcement-kit-2/

There are other brands available but don't cheap out on this or it will cost you more in the long run.
I was once told the Morryde and Exogate designs use hidden brackets to transfer the weight of the spare tire to the rear rollbar support bases, like OR-Fab's spare tire carrier did. I just took a closer look at both designs and found apparently neither does that, I was surprised they rely solely on stronger hinges and exterior reinforcements. It's still a good/better/stronger design but it makes me wish OR-Fab was still in business.

Even with a slightly heavier tire than stock I can feel the difference in how much effort it takes to open the gate. Also don't forget that the spare tire bumpers play a big part in preventing cracks and damage.

I was once told the Morryde and Exogate designs use hidden brackets to transfer the weight of the spare tire to the rear rollbar support bases, like OR-Fab's spare tire carrier did. I just took a closer look at both designs and found apparently neither does that, I was surprised they rely solely on stronger hinges and exterior reinforcements. It's still a good/better/stronger design but it makes me wish OR-Fab was still in business.

Not sure what you are looking at but every one of those I have installed does indeed have a bracket that goes from the inside of the rear tub side hinge screw holes over to the roll bar hold down bolt on top of the inner fender to share that load.

1691331139579.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Even with a slightly heavier tire than stock I can feel the difference in how much effort it takes to open the gate. Also don't forget that the spare tire bumpers play a big part in preventing cracks and damage.

Put another way, if the gate closes and there is not sufficient compression of the tire snubbers with the sidewall of the tire which allows the tire to shake or move at all while the vehicle is in motion, that will kill any carrier and or hinge set up you put back there. I've repaired far too many of them for it to be otherwise.

Not sure what you are looking at but every one of those I have installed does indeed have a bracket that goes from the inside of the rear tub side hinge screw holes over to the roll bar hold down bolt on top of the inner fender to share that load.

View attachment 447573
Outstanding, I was wondering about that very part doing that. Their descriptions simply didn't go into enough detail to explain that.

Reactions: RINC
Thank you
That Morryde looks pretty beefy, and stainless hardware FTMFW

Im only curious about the coating, and its weight rating VS OEM. Curious if I will need to powdercoat it or seal coat it to last longer.. I will call them to inquire

If you get the tailgate reinforcement kit along with their hinges if I remember correctly it's rated for 150lbs or a 35" tires & rim. I could be mistaken on the weight but I think that was it.