Third brake light

Mine is off solely because I replaced the OE spare tire carrier with one from OR-F. I fully intend to fabricate and install a replacement 3rd brake light. There are far too many inattentive, drunk, or high drivers around and that 3rd brake light might just be enough to grab their attention a little faster before they crash into me.

Before you remove it, try this little exercise - the next time you're driving somewhere, make a deliberate effort to look in your rearview mirror at EVERY stop light/stop sign, specifically watching the person behind you and where THEIR eyes (and attention) are. After doing so, you'll be shopping for:
1). A 5' section of train track to fashion into your rear bumper.
2). A 5K watt bulb to put into your 3rd brake light housing.

I just had my fender flares repainted by a friend of mine who works in a large collision repair shop here in Orange County. When I picked them up last week, I did a quick check of the dozen vehicles that were waiting for repair - fully NINE of the twelve had varying degrees of rear end damage, including two Land Rovers and 3 other SUV's! Now I don't know where the vehicles that HIT these cars & trucks were, but it was quite sobering (no pun intended) to notice that the overwhelming majority of vehicles, including large/tall vehicles with 3rd brake lights that were higher (and hopefully MORE visible) had rear end damage...

For MY $ I want THE brightest brake lights on MY vehicles that they make! Making my 3rd brake light MORE visible is a high priority of mine; my advice is to go and do likewise, Gents!

If I was electricity smart, I’d make the ones in the spare tire flash a couple times before staying on steady when you touch the brakes.

Adding a third brake light flasher module is pretty simple. Flashes 4 times then stays on solid.

This is the one I use on my truck (daily driver).

Third brake flasher

It’s very small and would easily fit under the plastic cover inside the tailgate where the 3rd brake light contacts are. You could also mount it with two sided tape behind the spare tire mount. You just need the splice it into the 12v power wire feeding the light.

On my Silverado it’s inside the 3rd brake light, behind the lens.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I did this:
011.JPG

I think that third light is important especially for those that have larger tires that seem to obscure the tail lights a bit.

Like CJRoberts, I utilized the center hole of the rim.

I just used a cheap and so far (5 years +) water proof trailer light.

I simply screwed it to the backing plate that holds the spare and extended the factory wiring.

108E730B-F399-4219-8371-F16329C54E08.jpeg

Reactions: MountaineerTom
When I got bigger tires, I spaced the original third brake holder up about an inch with some washers. IMO, it looks fine, and well worth it for the added safety.

Reactions: TheGanzman
I also went with the center of spare version. My wheel caps are pressed on from the outside. I cut the end off and mounted a clearance light. Used the stock wiring with quick connects to make spare removing easy.
Later, I went to the local truck stop and bought a 9-led version of the same 2" light. Way brighter.

3a455f6e-a842-4995-bb02-4c92345e7d35_zps456515a2.jpg

I took mine off when I removed the spare tire mount to repaint it. I played with the idea of running without the spare for a week or so before reinstalling it without the third light. I agree with @Miracle Jeep , its ugly as hell. When I watch people in my rearview mirror as I stop at a light they’re usually looking at their phones anyway :oops: Might be safer technically but...
I do like the looks of the light in the center caps spot. Not a fan of the looks of LED lights though.

Reactions: Miracle Jeep
In order to pass an annual Texas vehicle inspection, ya gotta have the CHMSL. And, after buying a flasher unit for mine, I asked my shop and was told that flashing exterior lights are verboten in Texas, unless on an emergency or official vehicle. Rats.

It's dark out here. No street lights, narrow roads lined by trees. Last year, a fellow was stopped at night for a left turn nearby and a clown plowed into him at full speed from behind. Air bag saved the clown, hittee was injured. Clown's comment was "I just was not paying attention."

Since the flasher was out, I dropped a load of bux on a very bright LED replacement unit for the CHMSL. Best I can do here.

Reactions: Creakydoor
Adding a third brake light flasher module is pretty simple. Flashes 4 times then stays on solid.

This is the one I use on my truck (daily driver).

Third brake flasher
Thanks for this. I went to the parts store last year and asked about this but was told no one made one. I figured it was available just couldn’t find the source.

Reactions: dla