Thoughts on Grille Guards?

RogerTheWrangler

Hey everyone! I have not a lot of offroading experience but would benefit from a grille guard for when I go off-road more. Any brands or materials that I should be on the lookout for or avoid? I'm looking mostly on Extreme Terrain site but I'm open to the best deals. Also, I would consider a grille-guard-bumper combo since my stock one is damaged.

This is IMHO a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Maybe I'm wrong, but I never see anyone with them on their Jeeps and I think that speaks volumes.

I’m not trying to be cute but they Just don’t add enough benefit to justify the damage they do to the appearance-

Maybe somebody’s doing some real trailblazer and just out running over stuff in the scrub but most trail systems of these days are well-established-

Some of this just comes from my personal opinion of not liking too much added to the front end- Of course this is coming from a guy that has five Offroad lights on his front bumper

This is IMHO a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Maybe I'm wrong, but I never see anyone with them on their Jeeps and I think that speaks volumes.

Thanks, Chris. I see the opposite as far as many people have grille guards here in OR...but it could just be an accessory that is worth less than people talk it up to be.

I’m not trying to be cute but they Just don’t add enough benefit to justify the damage they do to the appearance-

Maybe somebody’s doing some real trailblazer and just out running over stuff in the scrub but most trail systems of these days are well-established-

Some of this just comes from my personal opinion of not liking too much added to the front end- Of course this is coming from a guy that has five Offroad lights on his front bumper
Yeah lol, I think as long as it's not crucial, I can live without it. Especially because the more bulk you add to the jeep the worse the gas mileage has to be by carrying the extra guard weight. I personally like the appearance of certain grille guards but, it sounds like so far, its purpose is not that demanding.

Reactions: Zorba
Yeah lol, I think as long as it's not crucial, I can live without it. Especially because the more bulk you add to the jeep the worse the gas mileage has to be by carrying the extra guard weight. I personally like the appearance of certain grille guards but, it sounds like so far, its purpose is not that demanding.

Are you talking about this?
E1F769F9-B4A7-46F3-8573-CA213942B9A7.jpeg

Reactions: Apparition
The first thing you will notice off road is these things are agile- they will go about anywhere- and go where you point them, especially if you have locking differentials.

Hey everyone! I have not a lot of offroading experience but would benefit from a grille guard for when I go off-road more. Any brands or materials that I should be on the lookout for or avoid? I'm looking mostly on Extreme Terrain site but I'm open to the best deals. Also, I would consider a grille-guard-bumper combo since my stock one is damaged.

Not trying to be smart but this forum is for TJ’s, There is another forum for JK’s

Reactions: ColoJeep and L J
I have used them for years on ranch trucks. They are pretty common, but not everyone believes in them. They work great against an occasional deer, but probably can make things worse in other collisions. I will say this - my family has had 3 animal hits over the last 10 years, with about 13k worth of damage (one of those was a pretty good hit, others were just expensive parts - VW HID headlights are rediculus). I have had about that many hits with my trucks with -0- damage.

All that said, I don't want the extra weight on my jeep.

Last edited:
The first thing you will notice off road is these things are agile- they will go about anywhere- and go where you point them, especially if you have locking differentials.

And if you don't have lockers, that skinny pedal on the right, just stand on it!!!!!!

Most Brush/Grill Guards I've seen that hit anything just get pushed into the grill negating their function. They will not stop an animal hit such as a deer etc, ask me how I know. I think the OP may be referring to a stinger or winch guard, which in my opinion are not aesthetically pleasing but I understand their purpose. With that being said, many of the aftermarket quality steal bumpers will come with a winch guard option. It's designed as the name suggest and will depending on how hard you plan on wheeling and where.

Also - JK vs TJ, Male vs Female, Young vs Old - She's here for help and wants to learn so lets help her.

Last edited: