Thoughts on installing a Savvy mid-arm on my 04 LJ with 35s

If you ever think you'll go bigger than 35s, you may want to consider a different front axle. That's not to hate on the HP44, they just use the OEM size ball joints. Otherwise it sounds like you're thinking through everything! It'll be fun to watch your build if you do a thread.
Funny you should bring that up. I have come to the conclusion that any bigger than 35's leads me down a road where there is much less original jeepness to it. Also, at 37's, why not 40's. Then why not full hydro and some big 8 lug tons and on and on until it's just a cut up frame and tub. I really do like the feel of the LJ after driving it so much over the last 4 years and it has earned the right to remain intact after 180k in new york with the previous owner and just 20k with me. I come back to this forum because the builds here adhere to the original form while improving them for more serious wheeling duty.

I had the same philosophy with my JK. It was really good for a stock vehicle, but after 2 years in its current form, this is how the rubicon should have come from the factory for the price. Locked 44's with a 3 or so lift on 35's. Took some time to gather the parts but it was a bolt on party and was a fun project. I want this LJ to fulfill my desire for a more purpose built rig with some more alteration but nothing diverging from it's jeep feel.

Thanks again for the thoughtful insight and informed opinions.

Just to clarify, I didn't suggest that if you want something you shouldn't do it if it's not immediately fixing a problem you have, OP. Just that it doesn't sound like right now you have that problem. I would build a bit more before going to a midarm since those other things will be more impactful sooner (full tuck, proper lift, chromoly shafts, outboard, raise the rear crossmember since you're in an LJ, armor up).

I very much enjoy how my LJ performs on 35s.
Oh whoops. I thought he already had most of those things. I didn’t realize he was starting from the beginning.

Reactions: rasband
If it were me I’d put the axles from your JK under the LJ and put it on 37s, that leaves the door wide open for tons and 40s on the 4 door!
Yeah, that has crossed my mind. I could have both off the road and parts all over. I did consider doing 37's with a jk width 44 up front and a 9 inch rear. The whole steering and track bar situation is a bit too much for me to figure out at this point. The prospect of putting a cage and seats in it seemed like a good idea until I realized the implications for road use, ie becoming a head trauma risk in minor accidents among other considerations. Also the low pinion height of the 9 inch.

That being said, the idea still has its appeal...

Funny you should bring that up. I have come to the conclusion that any bigger than 35's leads me down a road where there is much less original jeepness to it. Also, at 37's, why not 40's. Then why not full hydro and some big 8 lug tons and on and on until it's just a cut up frame and tub.
….ahhh, you say that like it’s a bad thing?

🙃

I saw a used 2021 Ecodiesel JLUR for sale today at $70k. It made me not feel bad about all the money I've spent! ;)
That's because the ecodiesels throttle themselves in the mountains and don't deliver torque. As bad as the 4.0L can be in a lot of ways, that's not one of them!

Reactions: Irun
What's $30k among friends?
not near enough

But back on topic.

If you can swing a midarm go for it. I’d find a HP30 and go 5.13’s as long as you will stay at 35’s. Then buy out the savvy catalog and you’d be a very happy person. Poorer but happy.

Any bigger tires then you are opening Pandora’s box money wise.