Thoughts on installing a Savvy mid-arm on my 04 LJ with 35s

Sorry, I got lost in all the back-and-forth bullshit and didn't keep track of the build. Want to condense it into one concise post?
Of course, thank you. 04 LJ automatic totally stock. Plan
so far is to run 35's with a savvy midarm and outboard the rears. Run arb lockers with 5.38s at both ends. Upgrade to currie hp44 up front and upgrade existing rear 44.

Use currie steering system, bmb brakes along with savvy tummy tuck and bumpers.

Lack experience to determine correct steering box upgrade ie psc big bore, run hydro assist or not.

Going to run np231 and see what I think after some use. The rubicrawler looks viable but no real knowledge of it.

Those are the high points and I plan to add derale trans cooler etc while it is in one piece.

Again, thank you for any input.

Of course, thank you. 04 LJ automatic totally stock. Plan
so far is to run 35's with a savvy midarm and outboard the rears. Run arb lockers with 5.38s at both ends. Upgrade to currie hp44 up front and upgrade existing rear 44.

Use currie steering system, bmb brakes along with savvy tummy tuck and bumpers.

Lack experience to determine correct steering box upgrade ie psc big bore, run hydro assist or not.
Wait until you can't turn on the trail and then solve the problem. PSC full steering is not a collector mod.
Going to run np231 and see what I think after some use. The rubicrawler looks viable but no real knowledge of it.
Good luck. There is not a great answer there without spending a small fortune.
Those are the high points and I plan to add derale trans cooler etc while it is in one piece.
I wouldn't run an under tub fan driven trans cooler if it was given to me for free. Get a gauge no matter what else you do and get the sender in the oil pan.
Again, thank you for any input.
You say that now.

Reactions: wheelman2925
There are a few of us with RubiCrawler, I love mine.

Worst part of RubiCrawler, removing the spud shaft

As we suspected and somewhat predicted, the ratios are wrong for what we do.
The gent who had us install one in his just returned from Sand Hollow after spending a week there. 2.72-1 is not low enough and the 2.72 x 2.72 is too low.

Sounds like a 4-1 would be a better option for him?

I like my 2.72x2.72, but I has its place. If I find a 241 reasonably priced I'll prob buy it to solve a couple of other issues I'm having. The 7 whatever -1 is low, I'm afraid the 10.88-1 wouldnt see much use. If that's the case, there are cheaper ways of addressing my issues w/o buying a 241.

I'm planning to visit sand hollow this year. Never been there, I wonder, will I have a change heart with Rubi

Last edited:
The gent who had us install one in his just returned from Sand Hollow after spending a week there. 2.72-1 is not low enough and the 2.72 x 2.72 is too low.
The 241 seems to be in the gold zone, but I am in a manual (and may not know better if a higher ratio, such as in an atlas II). Is that range different in an auto, or is the 241 still right in the nice range for autos?

The 241 seems to be in the gold zone, but I am in a manual (and may not know better if a higher ratio, such as in an atlas II). Is that range different in an auto, or is the 241 still right in the nice range for autos?
Most of the folks I know with manuals that play hard like a bit lower than 4-1 but a bunch of them make it work.

Wait until you can't turn on the trail and then solve the problem. PSC full steering is not a collector mod.

Good luck. There is not a great answer there without spending a small fortune.

I wouldn't run an under tub fan driven trans cooler if it was given to me for free. Get a gauge no matter what else you do and get the sender in the oil pan.

You say that now.
Good advice, thanks again. It occurred to me how most trans coolers I have seen are part of the radiatior stack, so I think I get what you're saying.

As I stated, I lack experience in the tj world as my 35 tire jk is a bolt on party that just flat out works. I intended to use the LJ as a learning experience that I could further my knowledge of the hobby.

I have a fairly decent idea of the highpoints of the build. I'll let experience and time dictate things like steering and transfer case selection.

Oh, it's very close to hitting 200k, I'll post an odometer pic a few miles after since I'm sure I'll get distracted and miss it.

Last edited:
Good advice, thanks again. It occurred to me how most trans coolers I have seen are part of the radiatior stack, so I think I get what you're saying.
Neither grill or under tub work all the time with the 42. I've installed several under tub fan driven with gauges. They work on the trail if you don't mind listening to the fan all day. They don't work as well as a grill mount on the highway. If anyone tries to say they do, make them post up their before and after gauge readings. With the grill mounted cooler we use, that is usually around a 50-100 degree difference before and after. It isn't cheap though which is the bad part.
As I stated, I lack experience in the tj world as my 35 tire jk is a bolt on party that just flat out works. I intended to use the LJ as a learning experience that I could further my knowledge.

I have a fairly decent idea of the highpoint. I'll let experience and time dictate things like steering and transfer case selection.

Oh, it's very close to hitting 200k, I'll post am odometer pick a few miles after since I'm sure I'll get distracted and miss it.

Neither grill or under tub work all the time with the 42. I've installed several under tub fan driven with gauges. They work on the trail if you don't mind listening to the fan all day. They don't work as well as a grill mount on the highway. If anyone tries to say they do, make them post up their before and after gauge readings. With the grill mounted cooler we use, that is usually around a 50-100 degree difference before and after. It isn't cheap though which is the bad part.
I recall a build thread on here from a while back, think it was an impact orange LJ that used your front mount cooler. I didn't know there could be a temp difference as great as 100 degrees. I don't know the cost of yours but if it prolonged the 42's life, I think it's worth it. I'm intrigued enough to put temp gauge on now and see. JK tops out on the road about 167 F.

Funny, for a relatively simple vehicle, there are so many ways to ruin it with "improvements ".

In looking at some of the outboards you have done I noticed the bottom of the rear shock tower is proud of the chassis lower frame rail. It's this to provide a better weld seam?

Thanks again again.

This has been my experience with the rubicrawler. I use it most for steep downhills. Before I installed it I looked for a 241 but couldn’t find a reasonably priced one and I contacted atlas and they said working on a transfer case that could be flat towed but I don’t know if they ever got it to production.

I made a simple puller out of a piece of 1” x 2” tubing with a hole drilled and a notch cut out where the stub shaft is. Thread a bot in and it popped right out.

I ran the Derale under tub fan unit, and it did work OK. I even built a heavy guard to protect it. It was about my only option because at the time i was running an intercooler for a supercharger up front, along with a steering cooler, so there was no room.

Hated the thing. It was crazy loud in an irritating sort of way - especially on the trail as Blaine said.

When I did the Hemi, no more need for the intercooler, so a new trans cooler went up front. It cools better than the under tub, and no obnoxious fan noise…

Reactions: Dino - KX6D
This has been my experience with the rubicrawler. I use it most for steep downhills. Before I installed it I looked for a 241 but couldn’t find a reasonably priced one and I contacted atlas and they said working on a transfer case that could be flat towed but I don’t know if they ever got it to production.
Is there a reason to not wheel in 2.31x2.31 with 2nd gear in trans?

Do you mean both boxes in low? 2nd gear I think you would be fine. I try to stay out of higher gears when possible. If I am in 5th gear in low/low. I could probably manage better in single low and a lower transmission gear.

Is there a reason to not wheel in 2.31x2.31 with 2nd gear in trans?
No reason at all not to at all. With both in low the ratio is 7.4:1 that is very low. With that ratio I could climb much steeper than my short arm lift can handle. I can go down the steepest hill in low/low and have to use the throttle

No reason at all not to at all. With both in low the ratio is 7.4:1 that is very low. With that ratio I could climb much steeper than my short arm lift can handle. I can go down the steepest hill in low/low and have to use the throttle
To be clear, you can climb much steeper than your lift can handle with a stock 42RLE and stock 231. They really aren't that connected, ratio and climbing ability.

But what about in 2nd gear in the trans? Doesn't that make it use able in low-low?

To be clear, you can climb much steeper than your lift can handle with a stock 42RLE and stock 231. They really aren't that connected, ratio and climbing ability.
You are correct, I was trying to illustrate I could climb straight up a wall with the ratio but short arms are holding me back.

Could one do a manual valve body in the 42rle? Would you be able to select and stay in a gear of choice?