Thoughts on springs, tires, and wheels for my planned build

97TJNM

High Desert Redneck
Supporting Member
Hello all! I'm looking on anyone's input on my planned build, especially on spring heights and tire/wheel sizes. I have a 97 Sport with the 4.0 and AX-15 trans, dana 30/35 geared to 3.07. I got a helluva deal on a set of Dana 44s geared to 4.88 with an ARB air locker in the rear and an e-locker (unsure of brand) in the front. Originally, I just planned to swap them out and run them, but after my last thread seeking advice on the matter (Thread ) I really thought hard about it and decided to plan a build. I was initially hesitant to go all out because of the cost, but decided, hell, you only live once, so I'm going to build it to be a really fun Jeep. I want it to be capable of tackling most any trail I come across as well as moderate rock crawling, but still have decent road manners. I live in northern NM so there is a ton of offroading available out here, but I still want to be able to comfortably drive to the trailheads and be capable of going 70 the couple of times a year I take it on highways. I currently live in mountainous terrain at about 7k above sea level. I've played with the Grimjeeper calculator a bit and am back and fourth between 35 and 33 tires for the build. Either looks like they would give me back a usable 5th gear with the 4.88 gearing, although I have no practical experience with this, just the GrimJeeper numbers.

I have currently bought the following for the build:
-Dana 44 set, geared to 4.88 with lockers
-JKS front and rear adjustable trackbars
-extended brake lines
-moog bushings for uca mounts for front axles
-artec front spring perch and lca brackets (the Dana 44 front axle brackets were chopped up and modified for high clearance steering, which I dont want)

Before the install, I plan on buying the following
-Correctlync steering setup
-Savvy double adjustable control arms
-sye (not set on a particular brand at this point)
-tom woods front and DC rear drive shafts
-springs (currently has factory springs with a 1.75 puck lift (PO installed) and some serious sag. With pucks, front measures 12.5 and rear measures 8.75)
-shocks if needed. I am currently running Rancho 5000x for a 2-3 inch lift. I put them on about 6 months ago, but forgot the model#. I knew I had 1.75 inch spacers so I just bought ones that would accommodate about 2 inches of lift and installed them, not really knowing what I was doing. But with the sagging springs on there now, there isn't a lot of exposed shaft.
-bump stops once I cycle the suspension and determine what I need
-arb air compressor for the rear locker, and wiring harness for the front.
-wheels and tires
-speedo gear to match new ratios
-Long term (6-12 months out) I may get a Swayloc as well. No plans for a tummy tuck at this time.

If I am missing something obvious let me know, but the big question mark for me right now is springs and wheels/tires. I am currently running 31 KM3s on Grizzlys and I like them, but they will be a little small for 4.88 gears. So the current thoughts are:
-3" spring lift with 33 KM3s
-4" spring lift with 33 KM3s
-4" spring lift with 35 KM3s
-4" spring and 1" body with 35 KM3's

I'm leaning toward the 4"spring lift with 35 KM3s because I kinda figure might as well go 35's if I'm even considering it, and if the 4" springs don't give me enough space, adding a body lift in a few months won't be a hard job. Of course, if I run 35's, I'll have to get new wheels to accommodate the 12.5 width, and I don't even know where to start on backspacing, aluminum vs steelies, etc.

That said, I was hoping ya'll might have some input about my plans and I'm happy for any advice/criticism you may have.

I am saving furiously to be able to buy the rest of what I need in the next few months, but my wife did recently have a health problem and won't be able to return to work until probably the end of January or mid February. We are doing fine and have savings for just such emergencies as this, but I'm pigeonholing the money I was saving for this project until she is back at work just in case it needs to go to a more pressing matter than the Jeep.

In a few months, once my wife is back working and I get all the parts together, I'm definately going to start a build thread! Anyway, thanks for reading, and I look forward to your comments!

I don't even know where to start on backspacing, aluminum vs steelies, etc.
I wouldn't ever run steelies on a rig you wheel on anything beyond fire roads. Ask @starkey480 why :)

FWIW I think a tummy tuck is an incredibly valuable upgrade for wheeling most things given how far the stock one hangs. If you choose to not do it now with the 4" lift you will be rebuying a few parts (driveshafts).

I wouldn't ever run steelies on a rig you wheel on anything beyond fire roads. Ask @starkey480 why :)

FWIW I think a tummy tuck is an incredibly valuable upgrade for wheeling most things given how far the stock one hangs. If you choose to not do it now with the 4" lift you will be rebuying a few parts (driveshafts).
Thanks for the reply! I kinda assume steelies could bend easily? But that's just a guess on my part. A star as the tummy tuck goes, is it something I could get to in 6 months or would I have to re order a rear drive shaft if I didn't do it when I lift it?

Thanks for the reply! I kinda assume steelies could bend easily? But that's just a guess on my part. A star as the tummy tuck goes, is it something I could get to in 6 months or would I have to re order a rear drive shaft if I didn't do it when I lift it?
*as far* and apparently comprehension isn't my strong suit. I see that my question about drive shafts is exactly what you were saying!🤣 My bad. I gotta remember to read twice, reply once!

I'm here in LA and while not the expert that many on the forum are but have been through many of the upgrades that you're looking to do. Might have to look things over and chat over a beer or hit the trails some time.

Reactions: rasband and 97TJNM
I'm here in LA and while not the expert that many on the forum are but have been through many of the upgrades that you're looking to do. Might have to look things over and chat over a beer or hit the trails some time.
Man, I'm like 10000% on board. I'll PM you and we can find a time to meet up and BS. First beer is on me.

Reactions: WHBNM

That's correct, it's fairly easy to bend steelies and they become difficult to balance.

For the tummy tuck, you could put it off a bit and send the drive shafts back to Tom woods (or whatever company you prefer) to lengthen them. But you'll probably need them after the lift either way. I don't know what they charge to rework a shaft but it's probably not terrible. I think on a TJ you'll need an SYE when you get to 4" lift, but I'm not certain as I'm in an LJ.

Reactions: 97TJNM
Don’t get KM3s. I would get a Maxxis razr, nitro trail grappler or Mickey Thompson Baja boss over the km3. I would do the tummy tuck suspension and body lift all at the same time. I would also do 35s not 33s.

Glad to see the build bug has taken hold!

For the SYE I would not consider anything but super short. Especially in TJ considering tummy tuck, you will need all driveshaft can get. https://www.jbconversions.com/products/sye/np231j_short_sye.php

You definitely have axles to support 35s so if you think ever will want them I say make the jump now. I know are those against it, but I scored a great deal on rims/tires from FB marketplace. If you are collecting over time I would watch it and a few FB Jeep groups for parts you are looking for.

Don’t get KM3s. I would get a Maxxis razr, nitro trail grappler or Mickey Thompson Baja boss over the km3. I would do the tummy tuck suspension and body lift all at the same time. I would also do 35s not 33s.
Could I ask why? I'm happy to be educated, but I've always had great luck with BFG. Interested to hear your perspective!

Glad to see the build bug has taken hold!

For the SYE I would not consider anything but super short. Especially in TJ considering tummy tuck, you will need all driveshaft can get. https://www.jbconversions.com/products/sye/np231j_short_sye.php

You definitely have axles to support 35s so if you think ever will want them I say make the jump now. I know are those against it, but I scored a great deal on rims/tires from FB marketplace. If you are collecting over time I would watch it and a few FB Jeep groups for parts you are looking for.
Hahaha, thanks! Yeah, I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out! If I went the SS Sye route I'd have to get a Speedo healer, right? I kinda hate using electronics where mechanics work fine, but I'm open to the SS Sye if it's really the better choice.

If you do decide on bumping up to 35’s, add a brake upgrade to your list of mods. On 33’s you can get by with the stock brake setup.

Could I ask why? I'm happy to be educated, but I've always had great luck with BFG. Interested to hear your perspective!
The others run more true to size, seem to be a little stickier compound and in my experience have performed better when it mattered.

I'm actually ok with them running a bit small! My thought is, they will stuff a little easier and give me a higher RPM relative to a "true" 35. I know that in reality it's not gonna make a huge difference, but ive had great luck with BFGs (and specifically their mud Terrains) so that's what's driving my decision to go with the KM3s.

Thanks for your input!

Hahaha, thanks! Yeah, I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out! If I went the SS Sye route I'd have to get a Speedo healer, right? I kinda hate using electronics where mechanics work fine, but I'm open to the SS Sye if it's really the better choice.

A search here on the forum and you’ll find the SS sye is most recommended. You will need a speedo healer. I got mine on eBay for I think $130. Good thing is if you change tires or gear ratio in future it is easy to adjust instead of buying new gear.

A search here on the forum and you’ll find the SS sye is most recommended. You will need a speedo healer. I got mine on eBay for I think $130. Good thing is if you change tires or gear ratio in future it is easy to adjust instead of buying new gear.
Good to know. I'll skew my search for an SYE towards the super short, then!

matrix-pill.gif

I know you know but... 😬