Thread engagement on unit bearing with RCV shafts

Lax22

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I rebuilt the front end in 2018 with timken bearings, last year I discovered that the passenger side had play in it after a wheeling trip so I replaced it in June 2020. Doing some maintenance this past weekend, I again discovered the same amount of play in the passenger side bearing. Now I’m wondering what else could be causing this reoccurrence?

I am running RCV axles and maybe they could be contributing to the premature failure? I’m also seeing others report that with aftermarket axle shafts the stub shaft splines can not fully engage the wheel bearing causing issues

it’s also worth noting that my driver side bearing is still the original one I replaced in 2018 and has no play in it.

below are pictures of the bearing in question before I replace it. It looks like there is a bit of space between the surface of the bearing and the splines on the shaft. I assume this is normal but I don’t have a point of reference to think otherwise and I am able to torque it to the appropriate amount. Does anyone else have this issue or am I just being paranoid? I still need to pull the shaft and rebuild it but just looking for a second opinion from someone who has run these.

63BCF0E2-8DC0-4C4D-A5E6-4474EBF4879A.jpeg

36DB230A-CA6E-44F9-A800-AE0B4D95A74C.jpeg

BBAD08E7-2694-49F9-A523-F7841161B235.jpeg

@mrblaine, what do you think? I’ve read in some threads that you’ve experienced a few fitment issues with aftermarket stub shafts on some of the jeeps you’ve worked on.

Reactions: fortuso
Thank you! Going to do a rebuild on the RCV joint and see what’s going on inside. The stub came off pretty easily when I was pulling the axle shaft. At the least it probably needs a new snap ring.