Throwout Bearing question

JoeTheCarGuy

My boss has a 2004 X with the 5 speed manual. There is a very (VERY) slight noise with the engine running and trans in neutral and clutch released. In my infinite wisdom, I suggested to him to not be concerned with it but that I would check to see if the throwout bearing was greasable. So, here I am at the table of experts with that question, is the thowout bearing in this application greasable? BTW, it only has 18k miles. Thanks!

My boss has a 2004 X with the 5 speed manual. There is a very (VERY) slight noise with the engine running and trans in neutral and clutch released. In my infinite wisdom, I suggested to him to not be concerned with it but that I would check to see if the throwout bearing was greasable. So, here I am at the table of experts with that question, is the thowout bearing in this application greasable? BTW, it only has 18k miles. Thanks!

Unfortunately the Wrangler release bearings are not serviceable, just replaceable. Unfortunately lack of use can be just as mechanically detrimental to a vehicle as a vehicle with very high mileage. A friend of mine purchased a 10 year old Buick Skylark with just 3K miles on the clock from an older woman in his apartment complex and although it looked like it just rolled out of the showroom it turned out to be a mechanical nightmare for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeTheCarGuy

What do you mean "Clutch released" If you mean that you are NOT pushing on the pedal, then the throw-out bearing is not touching anything and therefore not making any noise. If the pedal is pushed, then the throw-out bearing is touching the clutch cover and is possible it is making noise, although really rare.

If you really want to know if the throw out bearing is making noise push the pedal slightly till it just starts getting tension. That tension is the TO bearing touching the cover. Do that a couple of times, if you don't hear anything, it is probably not the TO bearing.

My boss has a 2004 X with the 5 speed manual. There is a very (VERY) slight noise with the engine running and trans in neutral and clutch released. In my infinite wisdom, I suggested to him to not be concerned with it but that I would check to see if the throwout bearing was greasable.
That sound you're hearing is absolutely 100% normal and is nothing more than the transmission's input shaft and bearings being spun by the engine. Stepping down on the clutch pedal stops the input shaft from spinning which is why the sound stops. The throwout bearing only spins when you're stepping down on the clutch pedal. :)

What do you mean "Clutch released" If you mean that you are NOT pushing on the pedal, then the throw-out bearing is not touching anything and therefore not making any noise. If the pedal is pushed, then the throw-out bearing is touching the clutch cover and is possible it is making noise, although really rare.

If you really want to know if the throw out bearing is making noise push the pedal slightly till it just starts getting tension. That tension is the TO bearing touching the cover. Do that a couple of times, if you don't hear anything, it is probably not the TO bearing.
Correct, I should have stated clutch "pedal" released. Thanks!

Reactions: ac_
That sound you're hearing is absolutely 100% normal and is nothing more than the transmission's input shaft and bearings being spun by the engine. Stepping down on the clutch pedal stops the input shaft from spinning which is why the sound stops. The throwout bearing only spins when you're stepping down on the clutch pedal. :)
Is there a point where this noise can be too loud indicating a bad input shaft bearing? I have the same noise and have been fighting a leaking rms. I replaced it only to have it continue to leak. I'm wondering if maybe the seal is fine, but something else is causing it to leak. Thought maybe this could be it. Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread.

Is there a point where this noise can be too loud indicating a bad input shaft bearing? I have the same noise and have been fighting a leaking rms. I replaced it only to have it continue to leak. I'm wondering if maybe the seal is fine, but something else is causing it to leak. Thought maybe this could be it. Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread.

Check the valve cover gasket, common misdiagnosis.